CV/Insert Fx tied up in knots

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
graeme75

24 Jan 2020

Hi all

Can anyone please tell me if i'm on the right lines or using a sledgehammer to crack a nut? I have Reason 11 Studio suite and following a trance course made in Cubase 8. I'm trying to follow along in Reason and come up against wheteher I am doing things correct or not

What they do:
Use Nexus
Create a 4 bar (sustained note of white noise)
Automate Filter cutoff for a sweep up
Add delay (internal Nexus)
Add Reverb (internal Nexus)
Add Flanger (Insert FX)
Add Autopan (Insert FX)
Add Chopper (Insert FX) [1/16 sq wave setting, automate mix level over last 2 bars ]

What I did
Use Thor
Create a 4 bar (sustained note of white noise)
Automate Filter cutoff for a sweep up
Add Delay (Khs Delay) under Thor
Add Reverb (Khs Reverb) under Thor
Add Sweeper as Insert Fx for flanger
Put a Pulsar in Insert FX and connect CV out to Pan CV in on Mix channel programmer
Added Synchronous to Insert FX (1/16 Square wave pattern) and linked to level, and automated dry/wet over last 2 bars

I do get virtually the same result (which is great) but I have the following questions

a) Is there a much more efficient way of doing this?

b) Does it make a difference if you use the on-board synth effects (like on Europa) vs adding reverb, delay under the instrument?

c) I noticed in FSB there is an auto pan.cmb effect device, however when I load this into the mix channel it overwrites all other insert fx, sweeper is this case. How do you use/load a .cmb into insert fx slot but not lose current insert fx?

d) Is there a way of saving my patch with the sequencer automation data, so I now have a white noise generator and just manipulate the automation to suite

e) Finally can you use 4x singular EQ in series and it will have the same effect as using a 4 band EQ if you make the settings the same?

TIA

Cheers
Graeme

Loque

24 Jan 2020

graeme75 wrote:
24 Jan 2020
a) Is there a much more efficient way of doing this?
Just use Europa. Check out the MSEG for your Pulse-generator or one of its LFOs.

graeme75 wrote:
24 Jan 2020
b) Does it make a difference if you use the on-board synth effects (like on Europa) vs adding reverb, delay under the instrument?
Different sound from different FX.

graeme75 wrote:
24 Jan 2020
c) I noticed in FSB there is an auto pan.cmb effect device, however when I load this into the mix channel it overwrites all other insert fx, sweeper is this case. How do you use/load a .cmb into insert fx slot but not lose current insert fx?
Put it under the Mix Channel or wherever you want it. If you drag it into/onto a Combinator or Mix Channel, it overwrites/load it. You can also manually insert it on every point where you like, but therefor you need to shift+drag the AutoPanner into Reason and touch the backside to manually re-cable it where you want it to be.

graeme75 wrote:
24 Jan 2020
d) Is there a way of saving my patch with the sequencer automation data, so I now have a white noise generator and just manipulate the automation to suite
Save the Reason song file or bounce a sample. An alternative is to use a sequencer in the rack like Matrix or Sequence (Player) and put them inside the Combiantor/MixChannel.

graeme75 wrote:
24 Jan 2020
e) Finally can you use 4x singular EQ in series and it will have the same effect as using a 4 band EQ if you make the settings the same?
Depends on how the EQ handles the different bands. But i am not sure here. I guess, we can count the seconds until Selig chimes in :-D
Reason12, Win10

graeme75

24 Jan 2020

Hi Loque

Thanks for the reply. What is MSEG on Europa?

Cheers
Graeme

orthodox
RE Developer

24 Jan 2020

b) For me, it depends on whether I see those effects as an integral part of instrument sound rather than an expression layer added for a particular musical context. That is, I try not to embed song-related stuff into devices.

c) You can copy the devices from that combi to yours and reconnect things. Autopan is simple enough to build it from scratch.

e) In a multi-band EQ, bands are internally serialized anyway, so, yes, there is no difference.

Loque

24 Jan 2020

graeme75 wrote:
24 Jan 2020
Hi Loque

Thanks for the reply. What is MSEG on Europa?

Cheers
Graeme
Multy Stage Envelope Generator. Its the Envelops in Europa and they are multi stage, because you can define more/multiple steps compared to a simple ADSR envelope.
Reason12, Win10

graeme75

24 Jan 2020

Cheers Loque, so it would be possible to have a very similar patch from the one Europa rather than the way I went about it?

Loque

24 Jan 2020

graeme75 wrote:
24 Jan 2020
Cheers Loque, so it would be possible to have a very similar patch from the one Europa rather than the way I went about it?
Europa only is another way, yes.
Reason12, Win10

graeme75

25 Jan 2020

I’ve nearly got it all working in just one Europa patch

I’ve used envelopes and LFOs to get the auto pan and filter sweep. Used the onboard delay reverb and flanger. How do I get europa to produce a chopping effect (1/16 rate increasing in mix level over last 2 bars). Is it possible for Europe to produce this or would I have to use an insert fx such as synchronous or alligator?

TIA
Graeme

Loque

25 Jan 2020

LFO or MSEG modulating the Mixer faders. Scale it with another LFO or MSEG with the right timing.
Reason12, Win10

graeme75

25 Jan 2020

Hi Loque

Sorry to be a pain but I have no idea how to do what you suggest. Is there a tutorial about this?

Loque

25 Jan 2020

graeme75 wrote:
25 Jan 2020
Hi Loque

Sorry to be a pain but I have no idea how to do what you suggest. Is there a tutorial about this?
I am not sure, what you are exactly after. Here is a patch where have a few MSEGs automating the Mixer and the Filter.
Attachments
noise.zip
(2.07 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Reason12, Win10

graeme75

25 Jan 2020

Thanks so much Loque

graeme75

26 Jan 2020

Hi Loque

Thanks to your help I'm within touching distance of having 1 europa patch generating what i want rather than 3-4 devices. I have 4 bars of white noise and have europa doing flanger, autopan, reverb, delay and chopping. However at the moment the chopping effect is permanently on. how do i activate the chopping effect for just the last 2 bars within europa itself? i have attached a file of my progress so far

Cheers
Graeme
Attachments
WNoise.reason.zip
(56.68 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

Loque

31 Jan 2020

graeme75 wrote:
26 Jan 2020
Hi Loque

Thanks to your help I'm within touching distance of having 1 europa patch generating what i want rather than 3-4 devices. I have 4 bars of white noise and have europa doing flanger, autopan, reverb, delay and chopping. However at the moment the chopping effect is permanently on. how do i activate the chopping effect for just the last 2 bars within europa itself? i have attached a file of my progress so far

Cheers
Graeme
Sorry for the late response.

You just need to "scale" the signal you want to "fade int". And the "scale" value needs to be synced to tempo as i did with MSEG3.
GM white noise - Loque.zip
(2.21 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
scaleit.jpg
scaleit.jpg (97.36 KiB) Viewed 914 times
Reason12, Win10

graeme75

01 Feb 2020

This is perfect. Cheers Loque

• Information