Ryan talks Reason at NAMM

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Loque

22 Jan 2020

Ryan! I want a T-Shirt with you on it!

(funnily the song i am currently listening to the girl is singing "rraaaaaayyyyyaaaaaannnnnn"...or maybe the brain is on the wrong focus, who knows :-D)
Reason12, Win10

Boombastix
Competition Winner

22 Jan 2020

Cubase, Tracktion, Bitwig, Presonus, UAD, and more, I saw them there at NAMM but not Reason. Wonder why they didn't attend the worlds biggest music gear show...???
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Busta US

22 Jan 2020

This podcast was so confusing regarding Reason's future

botnotbot

22 Jan 2020

Boombastix wrote:
22 Jan 2020
Cubase, Tracktion, Bitwig, Presonus, UAD, and more, I saw them there at NAMM but not Reason. Wonder why they didn't attend the worlds biggest music gear show...???
It's been a long standing absence that I assumed was due to some past beef/on-going bad blood. Behringer famously doesn't bother with most trade shows and there are a few other companies that seem to have a distaste for one or the other trade show.

Also, there's musikmesse x 2, NAMM, AbletonFest, KnobCon, and more every year, so it kind of makes sense that you would just say "oh, this one is near where we want to do a marketing push, let's wait until we have the new update to show at that time" and keep fans from going crazy waiting for distant updates while saving some budget.

But if anyone knows any juicy details about Props vs NAMM throughout history, please share :D

aeox
Competition Winner

22 Jan 2020

Boombastix wrote:
22 Jan 2020
Maybe next year? :D

BRIGGS

22 Jan 2020

I live here in Orange County. I've been to NAMM, 5 or so, times.

NAMM is nuts...the noise will drive you crazy.

It's crowded... traffic can be horrible. I could see why some people wouldn't want to attend.
r11s

orthodox
RE Developer

22 Jan 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
22 Jan 2020
It's crowded... traffic can be horrible. I could see why some people wouldn't want to attend.
I too wouldn't attend it if it weren't for expanding the market share.

BRIGGS

22 Jan 2020

orthodox wrote:
22 Jan 2020
BRIGGS wrote:
22 Jan 2020
I too wouldn't attend it if it weren't for expanding the market share.
Yep, some people have no choice, due to circumstances. :cry:
r11s

EnochLight

22 Jan 2020

botnotbot wrote:
22 Jan 2020
But if anyone knows any juicy details about Props vs NAMM throughout history, please share :D
* slowly raises hand *

If I remember correctly from the old PUF days, they stopped going because it costs a shit ton of money to fly people out with gear and booth presentation stuff, it's not free to appear as a vendor, and at the end of the day they found that it was just easier to do everything over the Internet like they had since day 1. In other words, them appearing there really didn't result in any money being made in product sales.

Personally, I think the industry has changed and appearing there would really help them. The YouTube coverage alone would be worth the buzz, IMHO.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Boombastix
Competition Winner

23 Jan 2020

EnochLight wrote:
22 Jan 2020
Personally, I think the industry has changed and appearing there would really help them. The YouTube coverage alone would be worth the buzz, IMHO.
ESPECIALLY now with the Rack Plugin and having every DAW user as a potential customer and not just "die hard" Reason fans. But I agree about cost, I have paid for trade show appearances, even on a super tight budget, it is $10k...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Loque

23 Jan 2020

EnochLight wrote:
22 Jan 2020
botnotbot wrote:
22 Jan 2020
* slowly raises hand *

If I remember correctly from the old PUF days, they stopped going because it costs a shit ton of money to fly people out with gear and booth presentation stuff, it's not free to appear as a vendor, and at the end of the day they found that it was just easier to do everything over the Internet like they had since day 1. In other words, them appearing there really didn't result in any money being made in product sales.

I thought something like this.

Regarding marketing i think it depends on the audience. If you want to get young ppl like Ryan mentioned, you need to think like young ppl and i am sure, i dont understand whats so great about Flickr, Instagram and all that sh!t. Looks like i am old...
Reason12, Win10

Chizmata

23 Jan 2020

turned off after the first 8 minutes were an absolute beginners guide to what reason actually is. did i miss anything remotely interesting later? cant imagine it delved too deep into the promised topics after that beginning.

Jackjackdaw

23 Jan 2020

Trade shows are crazy expensive. 10 grand will get you a table out the back by the bins. For a high profile position with proper set and graphics, plus getting staff out from Europe, your looking at 100s of 1000s in cash and a hard slog for the staff. The maths probably don't add up for Reason Studios so they don't do it.

botnotbot

23 Jan 2020

EnochLight wrote:
22 Jan 2020
botnotbot wrote:
22 Jan 2020
* slowly raises hand *

Thanks for these details! They confirm what I was thinking, even if in the end it's not nearly as entertaining as finding out that there was a more sordid explanation :lol:

I think we will see a bit more from them later on in the summer when the European shows get rolling. Maybe we will see them at NAMM next time they have a physical object on offer?

QVprod

23 Jan 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
23 Jan 2020
Trade shows are crazy expensive. 10 grand will get you a table out the back by the bins. For a high profile position with proper set and graphics, plus getting staff out from Europe, your looking at 100s of 1000s in cash and a hard slog for the staff. The maths probably don't add up for Reason Studios so they don't do it.
Maybe a little less. They have product ambassadors in the US. A friend of mine represented them at IMSTA Festa a few years back. But yeah I'd imagine plane tickets are probably the smallest expense.

• Information