track playing on left side

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
gritz

18 Jan 2020

good morning all

here's the problem
recorded track using Miroslav SampleTank piano/cello/violin and vocals - however hearing through headphones (audio-technical) are playing more on the left of the mix. I use MacBook Pro and using the latest version reason 11.1

all my other songs don't have this issue I have been looking through the mixer section on reason to see if there is a reason which I am missing.

would greatly appreciate your input on this issue as its very annoying and not sure what would be the best resolution

in hope
Steve

joeyluck

18 Jan 2020

Do other things sound balanced in your headphones? Just trying to first rule out the headphones themselves...

How do the meters look on the Master? Even if they look balanced here, it doesn't necessarily mean things will sound balanced. If you for instance have more high frequencies on one side, it will sound unbalanced. Then look at each channel to see what channels favor what side.

Many orchestral libraries mix samples across the stereo range, with some instruments more to one side or the other. And then many pianos have notes graded, spanning the range with lower notes to the left and higher notes to the right, for instance.

Just a few things to look at and consider when figuring out why things might sound unbalanced. And then there are plugins like Ozone Imager 2 that will help to see some of these things.

What audio interface are you using? Any chance you have separate control over LR balance (on the hardware or in software)? Something else to perhaps check to make sure nothing got bumped.

gritz

19 Jan 2020

thanks I will replace the instruments with other reason refills and see if that sorts it

selig
RE Developer

20 Jan 2020

When this happens to me I solo the instrument (and mute any added FX) and make it mono/center. If it's still "off" it either means I'm loosing hearing in one side (possible at my age!) or more likely an uncalibrated stereo volume knob (pretty common, usually when the volume is at an extreme setting).
For example, on my PreSonus Central Station, with the volume below the 9:00 position the mix gets left heavy. The fix is to not use the volume that low, either by adjusting the level control on the amp/monitor or turning the volume up and using DIM on the Central Station.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information