Connecting USB Synth

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
alasdairmarnoch

02 Jan 2020

Hi

I've recently bought a Yamaha MODX Synthesizer and it has a USB port which enables me to connect it to my computer via a USB cable, does anyone know how in reason I can set this up so I can transfer the audio signal along the USB cable, as the sound quality is meant to better than using a jack.

I can see the synth in the list of audio devices, however, I don't want to use it as the audio interface as my studio monitors are already connected to another interface.

Thanks in advance.

ShelLuser

02 Jan 2020

Audio data output is never transferred through USB like that, so unless this is a specific setup then I don't see this working like that. You most likely need an audio interface to sample the incoming audio. Or... since you did mention that it registers as an audio device: use that and see if that gives you any input. I doubt it though, that's usually meant for output only.

(edit): In the mean time I checked the product page and it turns out that the internal audio interface should indeed also provide the audio output, thus eliminating the need for an external interface.

Ergo: you will need to set up and use that interface to make this work. Or use the regular audio output of course.
Last edited by ShelLuser on 02 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.
--- :reason:

QVprod

02 Jan 2020

You have to use it as an audio interface. That’s the only way the audio would get transferred over usb.

If you want to be able to use both it and your other interface simultaneously, you can combine the two together with asio4all (Windows) or by creating an aggregate device (Mac OS).

EnochLight

03 Jan 2020

alasdairmarnoch wrote:
02 Jan 2020
Hi

I've recently bought a Yamaha MODX Synthesizer and it has a USB port which enables me to connect it to my computer via a USB cable, does anyone know how in reason I can set this up so I can transfer the audio signal along the USB cable, as the sound quality is meant to better than using a jack.

I can see the synth in the list of audio devices, however, I don't want to use it as the audio interface as my studio monitors are already connected to another interface.

Thanks in advance.
The Yamaha MODX works similar to the Roland Aira gear over USB: you have to use it as your audio interface to send the audio via USB in Reason. Thems the breaks. But yeah, maybe try ASIO4ALL on Windows or create an aggregate device on Mac.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

alasdairmarnoch

03 Mar 2020

Thanks for all the replies guys! You have helped me understand things a little bit more

• Information