Reason on 4K iMac - slow frame rate & interface responsiveness

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
cocoazenith

30 Dec 2019

Hi all,

Can't figure out why my Reason 10 is so graphically slow with a weak frame-rate and all-around graphical interruptions.

Please check the video below in which I compare a 2012 non-retina Macbook pro and my current 2017 iMac 4K 21" (which is a whole different generation spec wise) and notice the following issues:

1. When I drag the arrange zone up it's very interrupted and has a weak frame-rate. Like it's having computational drop-outs.

2. When scrolling thru the rack I get the same result - interrupted frame-rate, all-around slowness

3. The playhead does not move in a fluid manner, again weak frame-rate

4. Editing a clip and placing notes make the playhead get interrupted again

5. This last point is the very relevant to the discussion. The focused rack animation differs greatly between macbook pro and iMac. On MBP the animation is fluid and on iMac you can actually see the frames of the animation LOL

What gives? Does anyone know why this happens?

I'm not having these issues with the iMac in way more demanding DAWs.

Thanks for any input.
Last edited by cocoazenith on 15 Jul 2021, edited 1 time in total.

tumar

30 Dec 2019

Reason is known to behave weird on retina Macs. If You have two graphic cards, try to switch to second one.

EnochLight

30 Dec 2019

cocoazenith wrote:
30 Dec 2019
Hi all,

Can't figure out why my Reason 10 is so graphically slow with a weak frame-rate and all-around graphical interruptions.

Please check the video below in which I compare a 2012 non-retina Macbook pro and my current 2017 iMac 4K 21" (which is a whole different generation spec wise) and notice the following issues:

1. When I drag the arrange zone up it's very interrupted and has a weak frame-rate. Like it's having computational drop-outs.

2. When scrolling thru the rack I get the same result - interrupted frame-rate, all-around slowness

3. The playhead does not move in a fluid manner, again weak frame-rate

4. Editing a clip and placing notes make the playhead get interrupted again

5. This last point is the very relevant to the discussion. The focused rack animation differs greatly between macbook pro and iMac. On MBP the animation is fluid and on iMac you can actually see the frames of the animation LOL

What gives? Does anyone know why this happens?

I'm not having these issues with the iMac in way more demanding DAWs.

Thanks for any input.
Did you start Reason in low-resolution mode on your 4K iMac? You can set this by right-clicking the application and choosing "Get Info". Also, as already suggested, if you’re using a Mac with a dedicated graphics card, turn off “Automatic graphics switching” in the Energy Saver preferences. Finally, make sure “Use multi-core audio rendering” is enabled on the General tab in Preferences.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

cocoazenith

30 Dec 2019

EnochLight wrote:
30 Dec 2019
Did you start Reason in low-resolution mode on your 4K iMac? You can set this by right-clicking the application and choosing "Get Info".
This solved the problem.

Thanks!

EnochLight

31 Dec 2019

cocoazenith wrote:
30 Dec 2019
EnochLight wrote:
30 Dec 2019
Did you start Reason in low-resolution mode on your 4K iMac? You can set this by right-clicking the application and choosing "Get Info".
This solved the problem.

Thanks!
Good to hear; enjoy! :thumbs_up:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

cocoazenith

15 Jul 2021

Is this solved with the arrival of hi-res graphics?

EnochLight

15 Jul 2021

cocoazenith wrote:
15 Jul 2021
Is this solved with the arrival of hi-res graphics?
Yes, though the solution was probably a combination of hi-res graphics support as well as finally off-loading all graphics processing to the GPU.

• Information