Tips for Emulating Electric Guitar ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Proboscis

23 Dec 2019

Thanks for sharing, Raymond. That guitar is reminiscent of David Gilmour, both in tone and in your construction of the track.

raymondh

23 Dec 2019

Proboscis wrote:
23 Dec 2019
Thanks for sharing, Raymond. That guitar is reminiscent of David Gilmour, both in tone and in your construction of the track.
Well done!! Yes indeed the patch in the refill is called Gilmour (or something like that) :)

Speaking of Gilmour - slightly off topic, but if you haven't heard it, check out the "Strat Pack". I think most of it will be on Youtube, but there's nothing like putting the DVD on and curling up on the sofa with a single malt :)

Proboscis

23 Dec 2019

raymondh wrote:
23 Dec 2019
Well done!! Yes indeed the patch in the refill is called Gilmour (or something like that) :)
Ha ! Well I guess Jiggery Pokery nailed precisely what he was going for, if that was my immediate thought.

Italophile

24 Dec 2019

mcatalao wrote:
23 Dec 2019
Again it is not the same, but i remember an old refill where with subtractor and scream they created amazing guitar sounds. I mean it, they had stuff similar to Mark Knopfer's signature sound only with subtractor and distortion from scream.
Phat Math from Uniphonic

mcatalao
Competition Winner

24 Dec 2019

Ok, found it and it's still up online. It has 7 amazing distorted guitar patches, that sound really nice. I've used them for distorted solo guitar several times:
Go here, and scroll to the bottom. You'll find the free xsynth refill.

http://www.xsynth.com/

Proboscis

25 Dec 2019

mcatalao wrote:
24 Dec 2019
Ok, found it and it's still up online. It has 7 amazing distorted guitar patches, that sound really nice. I've used them for distorted solo guitar several times:
Go here, and scroll to the bottom. You'll find the free xsynth refill.

http://www.xsynth.com/
Hi mcatalao. Thanks for sharing that patch collection. Personally I find the guitar sounds to be terrible ! Each to their own tastes, I guess. It also doesn't address any of the qualities that make electric guitar sound how it does (ie; the points I mentioned in my first post). But..... a browse through the other folders and WOW, there's some other great stuff in there, I am very impressed, not only in the sounds but for ideas on how to build my own patches in future (particularly the use of the old pattern sequencer. So I appreciate the referral, even if it wasn't for guitar stuff. Have a lovely xmas :thumbs_up:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Dec 2019

For this "guitar" sound I used an FM4 patch and Scream. And the I used Antidote as a send effect (delay, reverb, comp).
The guitar solo starts at 1:49.

gullum

25 Dec 2019

The only way to get realistic sounding guitar is to record a real guitar. I have heard a few ok sounding emulation, but they have always sounded like that, an emulation.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Dec 2019

gullum wrote:
25 Dec 2019
The only way to get realistic sounding guitar is to record a real guitar. I have heard a few ok sounding emulation, but they have always sounded like that, an emulation.
Yep!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Proboscis

25 Dec 2019

gullum wrote:
25 Dec 2019
Oh for sure, I accept that there can never truly be a perfect substitute. And as it seems from this thread, it takes some very powerful VST tools to get close. Esselfortium's earlier brilliant song examples show that with the right approach, you can get damn near to convincing, enough so that the average listener would know no different.

Mr Figg's earlier topic (an post unrelated to this one) about a Rhodes VST inspired me to look at a related instrument from the same developer, the Applied Acoustics 'Strum' VST. It's the second contribution this week from him that's inspired me to re-think my approach -the other being the 'downsizing' ethic. And I had the plugin all along, just never bothered to learn it's potential, since I tend to avoid VST entirely.

And while it won't achieve what I had in mind (which was more Djent/Metal/Muted/Harmonics) when I started this thread, there are some very pretty acoustic fingerpicking chord patterns that sound nice. In a pinch, this will add some flavor to some ideas I'm toying with.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... um-Session

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Dec 2019

Proboscis wrote:
25 Dec 2019

Mr Figg's earlier topic (an post unrelated to this one) about a Rhodes VST inspired me to look at a related instrument from the same developer, the Applied Acoustics 'Strum' VST. It's the second contribution this week from him that's inspired me to re-think my approach -the other being the 'downsizing' ethic.
:) :) :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Noplan
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2019

gullum wrote:
25 Dec 2019
The main problem of why emulated guitars sound emulated is that they are made for and operated by people who have no guitar experience. A guitarist would therefore get a more realistic sound out of an emulated guitar because he knows the characteristics and playing styles better. And he would avoid sounds that sound fake. But which guitarist is wasting his time emulating a guitar?

Noplan
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2019

Here's an example of how someone emulated the best guitar sound for me in Reason. This is still a file from Reasonstation back then.
wagnerazeredo-morespeed.7z
(89.91 KiB) Downloaded 154 times

gullum

26 Dec 2019

Noplan wrote:
26 Dec 2019
Here's an example of how someone emulated the best guitar sound for me in Reason. This is still a file from Reasonstation back then.

that is really well made and before we got RE's and amp sims in Reason

Proboscis

26 Dec 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Dec 2019
For this "guitar" sound I used an FM4 patch and Scream. And the I used Antidote as a send effect (delay, reverb, comp).
That whole track is brilliant. Thanks so much for sharing. Reminds me of something that wouldn't be out of place on 'music for the jilted generation'.

Proboscis

27 Dec 2019

Noplan wrote:
26 Dec 2019
The main problem of why emulated guitars sound emulated is that they are made for and operated by people who have no guitar experience. A guitarist would therefore get a more realistic sound out of an emulated guitar because he knows the characteristics and playing styles better. And he would avoid sounds that sound fake. But which guitarist is wasting his time emulating a guitar?
On part of this statement I agree - for example playing fingerpicked chords, it benefits the passage of music to know which strings keep ringing out, and which ones stop, and when. Likely only a guitarist or someone with a thorough understanding of guitar chords would know that

However I disagree on guitarists wasting their time with an emulation. I'm working on a piece at the moment that includes chords that I would like to play as open chords. F#sus7, G#m, Asus2 & Dmaj7. While some guitarists can no doubt play those (the chord progression is actually borrowed from an old Genesis song, back when they were still 'prog'), I do not have the skills to change between those fingerings. So I could either practice like hell for a week, at which time I'll have lost interest and moved on to something else, or I can lay down the chords via MIDI and get on with the composition.

I'm well aware that using MIDI guitar parts is a contentious subject, and I would be crucified on a guitar forum for posting such a topic :lol:

Proboscis

27 Dec 2019

Noplan wrote:
26 Dec 2019

That's an amazing use of Reason's stock devices and a good go at guitar. Anyone who hasn't done so yet should download it and give it a listen while looking at how the automation has been used.

Noplan
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2019

However I disagree on guitarists wasting their time with an emulation.
my point was that it is rather rare. Mainly because it is more difficult to emulate a guitar than to record it when you can. I "wasted" my time on emulating guitars too, but only because I needed a more cheesy synth guitar for some Synthwave stuff.
I do not have the skills to change between those fingerings.
if that's your only problem, just make several takes and cut them together. I do that all the time because I'm more of a mediocre guitarist. I also play in fast solo passages half as slowly and then double the speed afterwards. It all sounds better and is easier than emulating.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2019

Noplan wrote:
27 Dec 2019
I also play in fast solo passages half as slowly and then double the speed afterwards.
Hahahaha. That must be what Dimi Kuassa does as well. I mean it must be. Right? :) :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Noplan
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2019

MrFigg wrote:
27 Dec 2019
Noplan wrote:
27 Dec 2019
I also play in fast solo passages half as slowly and then double the speed afterwards.
Hahahaha. That must be what Dimi Kuassa does as well. I mean it must be. Right? :) :)
no, he plays hist solos 1/4 of the speed. :puf_bigsmile:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2019

Proboscis wrote:
26 Dec 2019
TritoneAddiction wrote:
25 Dec 2019
That whole track is brilliant. Thanks so much for sharing. Reminds me of something that wouldn't be out of place on 'music for the jilted generation'.
Thanks. Yeah there's some Prodigy influences in there for sure.

Safe Radiation

30 Dec 2019

esselfortium, I am hopeless at any kind of composition, but love stuffing around with sounds in Reason. I listened to your 3 tracks, and was most impressed. Your pretty good at it. Well done.

• Information