If you could ask Reason Studios one question...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Boombastix
Competition Winner

16 Dec 2019

Spill the guts on Allihopa!
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

VariableX

16 Dec 2019

I'd like to know there sales data since formed 😀

jlgrimes

16 Dec 2019

diminished wrote:
15 Dec 2019
... knowing you'd receive a true, complete and honest answer ...

... what would that question be?
Why was the Drum Sequencer device never updated to handle multiple bars at least on the same level as Redrum?

jlgrimes

16 Dec 2019

friday wrote:
16 Dec 2019
Why the always add stuff and do not update the already great existing?
Yes. One of my biggest pet peeves with Reason.

Some legacy devices like Subtractor, Malstrom I understand but some things like the MClass devices I think folks would love a decent flexible "modern/digital" compressor/EQ with good GUI, good options for tweaking. Something like Ableton's compressor, or Studio One, or Reaper.

Ableton upgrade these devices almost every version by adding small "tweaks"

The Samplers also need to be more modern. Studio One, Ableton update their samplers pretty regularly.

Ermitage

17 Dec 2019

jlgrimes wrote:
16 Dec 2019
diminished wrote:
15 Dec 2019
... knowing you'd receive a true, complete and honest answer ...

... what would that question be?
Why was the Drum Sequencer device never updated to handle multiple bars at least on the same level as Redrum?
Or better question (not to RS), why wasn't there more outrage about it? It still baffles me that it doesn't have a pattern chain option. Completely ruins the potential of it.

chimp_spanner

17 Dec 2019

Ermitage wrote:
17 Dec 2019
jlgrimes wrote:
16 Dec 2019

Or better question (not to RS), why wasn't there more outrage about it? It still baffles me that it doesn't have a pattern chain option. Completely ruins the potential of it.
Why would it need a pattern chain option when it has pattern lanes? I mean I understand how that would work in the context of a hardware device, where you'd want to be able to make a drum arrangement without a sequencer but so long as there's one in the software I'd rather just draw patterns in in the order I want them over hardware style chaining aaaany day!

(Agreed on multiple bars though - would love to see the option for at least 32 steps)

Ermitage

17 Dec 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
17 Dec 2019
Ermitage wrote:
17 Dec 2019

Why would it need a pattern chain option when it has pattern lanes? I mean I understand how that would work in the context of a hardware device, where you'd want to be able to make a drum arrangement without a sequencer but so long as there's one in the software I'd rather just draw patterns in in the order I want them over hardware style chaining aaaany day!

(Agreed on multiple bars though - would love to see the option for at least 32 steps)
So as to achieve multiple bars, given that the width restrictions of the rack means that having 32 steps visible is not feasible.

diminished
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2019

Ermitage wrote:
17 Dec 2019
chimp_spanner wrote:
17 Dec 2019

So as to achieve multiple bars, given that the width restrictions of the rack means that having 32 steps visible is not feasible.
You know that you can arrange the patterns in the sequencer, right?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

superpop

17 Dec 2019

Is Re SDK doomed?

orthodox
RE Developer

17 Dec 2019

superpop wrote:
17 Dec 2019
Is Re SDK doomed?
What makes you think so?

superpop

17 Dec 2019

Seems like we have now just a few Re developers... and buying suite you got all Res from RS.

kuhliloach

17 Dec 2019

Is a hi-res UI being worked on? I have other questions too but I'm really really curious if Reason's appearance will ever be brought out of the dark ages. To the question above about MIDI out I predict Yes.

Aosta

17 Dec 2019

One question?.....
Hey props when the hell is Radical Kazoo being released?....it's been years!
Tend the flame

MannequinRaces

17 Dec 2019

What do you think of all those Negative Nancies over on ReasonTalk? Hahahahaha.

dvdrtldg

17 Dec 2019

Proboscis wrote:
16 Dec 2019
dvdrtldg wrote:
16 Dec 2019
Can I have a pony please I want a pony where's my pony waaahhhh pony pony pony
No Pony for you !
How about an updated combinator with extra CV inputs then, I'd settle for that

Creativemind

17 Dec 2019

jlgrimes wrote:
16 Dec 2019
friday wrote:
16 Dec 2019

Some legacy devices like Subtractor, Malstrom I understand but some things like the MClass devices I think folks would love a decent flexible "modern/digital" compressor/EQ with good GUI, good options for tweaking. Something like Ableton's compressor, or Studio One, or Reaper.

The Samplers also need to be more modern. Studio One, Ableton update their samplers pretty regularly.
This isn't what I think but it feels to me that Reason Studios have the philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!". Either that or the person who coded it has left the company perhaps?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Boombastix
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2019

Creativemind wrote:
17 Dec 2019
jlgrimes wrote:
16 Dec 2019

This isn't what I think but it feels to me that Reason Studios have the philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!". Either that or the person who coded it has left the company perhaps?
They said recently that the 10.4 performance fix included a lot of code clean up, and they had to fix a little bug in Kong after that. And it took a long time to do the 10.4 update. My guess is that they have touched pretty much all old legacy devices when they did 10.4. So, it is probably more of a "what do we do next on that priority list".

I just wish there was more active and organized interaction between RS and the users, like some other DAW companies that actively asks for feedback on very specific questions that will form new development of features, incl updating older things. Take Cubase, they just updated their PadShop with a very exiting new oscillator mode, and put out a survey with several future Cubase features asking for feedback in a ranking system.

I sure would want an OTA zero-feedback filter in Thor (and why not all synths like Europa/Grain). There is a good one in ES-01, they could just buy it from Robotic Bean if they can't make their own. More FX slots in Kong and additional FX, and so on (tempo synced Kong delay). Moving markers in all REX players. Yeah, the list is long but many updates can be based on existing code and is relatively small to implement.

I think RS could to a 50 point update, just like Presonus Studio 1, if they had the vision and leadership to do it. (By the way I hope they are NOT spending time on Allihopa 2.0 :shock: )

Marc64

17 Dec 2019

Will there be a video player...

bitley

17 Dec 2019

Hi Reason Studios!

This probably goes to Pelle?

Is there a solution for how to make the vocoder sound as great as in the work by golden technician Michael B Tretow aka Abba's technician at Polar Studios?

1. The signature for the radio show Tracks
2. Abba's Under Attack

manisnotabird

17 Dec 2019

You used to produce many of the best tutorial and sound design videos out there, but have completely stopped and now farm it out to amateurs who often don't know what they're taking about, and have videos that are many many times longer then they need to be. I'm sure this is related to the recent restructuring and probably the advice of whatever evil "consultants" the new owners brought in. Doesn't it make you sad, tho?

friday

18 Dec 2019

Boombastix wrote:
17 Dec 2019
I sure would want an OTA zero-feedback filter in Thor (and why not all synths like Europa/Grain)......
He Boombastix you think/know that europa and grain don’t have zero delay feedback filters? *shock*

I found a thread where even the synapse guy was asking how he can optimize the filters, and I think he nailed it in legend :-)
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=135

Then I have seen an interview with steve duda and he talked about the outsourced development of the serum filter to a math/physics guy, I really hope that the propellerhead, sorry, reason studio developers waking on similar paths...

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp0rtLaXBio

Re8et
Competition Winner

18 Dec 2019

Loque wrote:
16 Dec 2019
When can i use Reason with VR glasses and gloves?
:thumbs_up:
my turn...
Will RS make a Reason special edition interface like touch osc av. at some point in the future??

Boombastix
Competition Winner

18 Dec 2019

friday wrote:
18 Dec 2019
Boombastix wrote:
17 Dec 2019
I sure would want an OTA zero-feedback filter in Thor (and why not all synths like Europa/Grain)......
He Boombastix you think/know that europa and grain don’t have zero delay feedback filters? *shock*

I found a thread where even the synapse guy was asking how he can optimize the filters, and I think he nailed it in legend :-)
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=135

Then I have seen an interview with steve duda and he talked about the outsourced development of the serum filter to a math/physics guy, I really hope that the propellerhead, sorry, reason studio developers waking on similar paths...

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp0rtLaXBio
I don't know, but Thor/Europa/Grain have mainly a a moog/ladder style filter, (I know there are more types). Thor cannot be zero feedback since it is too old, I do not know about Europa/Grain, but Synapse, Uhe, Cytomic, Native Instruments et all who have zero feedback have filters that sound better, and the math supports it too. In the analog era the best filters before digital took over were very nice sounding OTAs (you could get that wet yummy squelchy sweeps with no loss of bass). There was almost 15yrs of filter design between moog first ladder and the last OTAs. So yeah, those were the best, amalog circuit engineers did a lot work on that stuff.

Also, RS I know for focusing on code efficiency, and the zf filter DSP code is expensive, so I do not know what corners they have cut, but there is a lot of synths that sound better in the filters. I wish to be able to choose and take the CPU hit if I want that sound.

You can experiment with the Legend filter by routing Thor through it, or even use the ReDominator or Predator to try more filter types (These three are really good). Set the cut off to move from mid (or higher) to low with medium fast envelop and dial up the resonance.

supersplaron

18 Dec 2019

jlgrimes wrote:
16 Dec 2019
friday wrote:
16 Dec 2019

One of the reasons is that we want to ensure backwards compatibility. Creating a newer version of a device could potentially make your (old) song sound different or just plain wrong, and we wouldn't want that.

supersplaron

18 Dec 2019

manisnotabird wrote:
17 Dec 2019
You used to produce many of the best tutorial and sound design videos out there, but have completely stopped and now farm it out to amateurs who often don't know what they're taking about, and have videos that are many many times longer then they need to be. I'm sure this is related to the recent restructuring and probably the advice of whatever evil "consultants" the new owners brought in. Doesn't it make you sad, tho?
I know for a fact that Ryan is currently working on a new tutorial as we speak!

• Information