What is your go-to device for drums, and why?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Steedus
Competition Winner

11 Dec 2019

I gotta add that I'm so reliant on Redrum's workflow that I find it incredibly frustrating and slow to work in Logic with a friend

Hmm -- I guess that's a tiny reason to update to the VST/AU Rack version.

Flandersh

15 Dec 2019

Redrum - it is simple and to the point device with the controls I need. Combined with many of the great refills of the past, it even deliver great sound fast.

littlejam

15 Dec 2019

heyhey @sdst

just grabbed sitala decomposer with the 2 extra kits
really cool drum machine
especially because of all the tuning features
the kit sounds pretty authentic to me
with a low cpu footprint
so can probably load up a lot of the vst as individual channels

cheers mate,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

sdst
Competition Winner

15 Dec 2019

littlejam wrote:
15 Dec 2019
heyhey @sdst

cheers mate,
j
:thumbs_up: , it has 16 outputs, I test it in reason works perfect

BradfordMoeller

16 Dec 2019

REDRUM IS LIFE.

It's just so user-friendly & perfect.

(And Toontrack EZDrummer for acoustic drums)
:reason:)))

sublunar

16 Dec 2019

After wasting many countless hours laboriously crafting a "realistic" sounding kit using professional samples loaded into multiple instances of NNXT inside of combinators with various complicated routing options...

I got Superior Drummer 3 and haven't looked back. All the time trying to get a realistic kit inside of Reason was immediately rendered obsolete. Reason Drum Kits don't cut it and those A List kits are just dumb.

jlgrimes

16 Dec 2019

This is probably more genre specific.

Redrum is great for most EDM stuff, where you need to program/step sequence. Bare bones, straight to the point. If you have a great set of samples, sometimes this is the most efficient way. It is also very easy to output the drums into mix channels if you need to add effects as Redrum has minimal drum tweaking options.

Uumph + Drum Sequencer is kind of a more modernized version of Redrum. Much better drum tweaking options, built in effects. If the sequencer had more than one bar patterns, it would make Redrum redundant.

Kong is probably more for folks who like to play in drums by hand.

NNXT (When you need realistic drum kits)

Dr. OCTOREX (you use breakbeats)

That said nothing stops you from using all of these when needed even in one project.

Dabbler

19 Dec 2019

kong because of the sound and the interface

jzquantum

19 Dec 2019

Mostly a combination of superior drummer and individual WAVs from reason drum kits refill. I keep using the Atlanta patch in RDK, too

I also play my Yamaha midi drum kit for a very small amount of my songs (I'm normally a bass player).

I have a hard time getting crash cymbals to mix the way I want, so I try multiple sources until I get what like.

Man@Arms

19 Dec 2019

I'm more of an old boom bap and lofi producer so I've been using Retro Beats since it's inception and it kinda works best for me and what I do... with the built in lofi efx, saturation, tape, hum etc.. it really works well for me.. I have a template that i pretty much have it embedded in.

• Information