Can't open Reason 6.5 after ReWire fail ... now permanent AppHang error

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
oldskool

30 Nov 2019

Hi I have another DAW. I opened that DAW first and played about with it after a long time away from music, then decided to dip into Reason 6.5.

Big mistake. The other DAW was still open when I opened Reason 6.5. I got no sound or anything from Reason though it did in fact open.

Then i shut down the other DAW. Big mistake, i got a ReWire error and the other DAW just wouldn't shut down or Reason wouldn't shut down, or both DAWs wouldn't shut down.

I shut them all down via Task Manager.

Big mistake, now Reason 6.5 won't at all open beyond the initial splash screen. When I expand the splash screen, i note some AppHang errors.

What i've tried so far:
- Delete all temp files then reinstall Reason 6.5 from dvd
- Open Reason 6.5 just in demo mode - it allows me the option (once i've taken my USB key out)

Result: it still doesn't get past the splash screen. What can i do? Please can i know specific instructions? As this is a ReWire error i reckon it's not planned obsolescence AND i also reckon it'll apply to later versions of Reason too. I seem to recall having this issue with Reaper once too. If you do a "hard Brexit" out of a ReWire session you end up seriously screwing your country up. I mean, your DAW. With Reaper i recall altering a notepad file somewhere, as directed via posts on Google. It worked in the end. No such solution for Reason 6.5 ... or is there?

No i don't think so because even after deleting all temp files and doing a fresh install, still same issue. Maybe the fault is within some linked ReWire folder somewhere? Where should i look?

Oquasec

01 Dec 2019

Oh does Reason 5 have a codemeter thing?
If not that would explain a lot
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

xboix

01 Dec 2019

I assume you have tried rebooting.

I think you might need to ask support and hope that they still remember stuff about such an old version!
There has got to be a config file or temporary file or registry entry causing it.

oldskool

01 Dec 2019

Oquasec wrote:
01 Dec 2019
Oh does Reason 5 have a codemeter thing?
If not that would explain a lot
Reason 6.5 (see OP).
I don't think it's a codemeter issue, for reasons given in the OP. :)

xboix wrote:
01 Dec 2019
I think you might need to ask support and hope that they still remember stuff about such an old version!
There has got to be a config file or temporary file or registry entry causing it.
I'm pretty sure it's a registry thing. I might try a registry cleaner. It's definitely triggered by a ReWire problem. It opened same as always but l have my other DAW open at same time. Hence freeze, then task manager kill, then permanent problem. I blame ReWire. It's scarily like real wires. Imagine tripping over wires in a studio. Well, now, everything's smashed up.

As mentioned in the OP, it may be a universal problem. Not even limited to ReWire as l discovered. Google "AppHang B1 error" and you'll see it happens a lot with Windows 7. With many different situations. There's even a ProTools user out there having that same issue. But it's not just a DAW issue. Win 7 support are down as saying do a malware check. But l saw with my own eyes that Reason started fine, but it was mute because l already had another DAW open. Rewire + one billion soundcards on my desk = disaster recipe.

• Information