Abnormal CPU usage?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jramboutan

30 Nov 2019

Hi,
I am using Reason 10.4d4 on a 16 GB RAM Macbook pro and I've been having some weird issues regarding my CPU consumption. I used to be able to do extremely large projects with plenty of effects on each track without any problem (on the exact same rig). But for some reason, the track I am working on at the moment requires a lot of CPU (according to the DSP meter and to my Task Manager) and there are only 9 tracks not involving anything fancy. When I run the track I get 3-4 bars on the DSP reading, as well as some cracks... the buffer size is around 7 ms.

I don't understand what's happening... I've tried restarting Reason and my computer. I've even deleted more than 50 GB on my HDD. I've optimized the project so it is now workable, but still, a couple of months back my computer would have handled that project easy-peazy...

Anyone experiencing the same problem? Is there something going on with the latest update, or is there something going wrong on my side?

Thank you!

diminished
Competition Winner

30 Nov 2019

You complain about CPU usage and list your RAM amount - see the problem with that? :)
Also, the buffer size is not milliseconds, it's samples. The resulting latency is measured in milliseconds. Either way, that's generally too short in later stages of the production (9 tracks would probably work with audio tracks and legacy stock instruments, but not with, say, a few ReSpire tracks in between..).

Try increasing your buffer size.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

jramboutan

30 Nov 2019

Oh ok, sorry, I do not know that much about computers and latency and all, was just trying to give as much information about my computer. I am seeing thay my Buffer size is 256 samples when I am working.

The only thing I do know is that, using the same rig, I did not encounter as many problems as I am right now. Unless there is something I am missing...

As for your question, I do not know what the RAM amount implies anymore :(
I used to think that RAM is what allows you to do multiple tasks at once? What is it really?

Thanks!

reggie1979

30 Nov 2019

diminished wrote:
30 Nov 2019
You complain about CPU usage and list your RAM amount - see the problem with that? :)
Also, the buffer size is not milliseconds, it's samples. The resulting latency is measured in milliseconds. Either way, that's generally too short in later stages of the production (9 tracks would probably work with audio tracks and legacy stock instruments, but not with, say, a few ReSpire tracks in between..).

Try increasing your buffer size.

MAJOR :roll:

Man, Reason CPU use, despite 10.3 is NOT on par with other hosts. I love Reason and I know better than that.

ksniod

29 Jan 2020

Sorry to revive this old short thread (I don't think a new one was needed), and sorry if it's a silly question or a known fact.
But I see an important increase of cpu usage (reading the "activity monitor" on my old MBP from 2012) when I play a song (I tried with several ones) while the rack is maximized, in comparaison when it's the mixer or the sequencer which is maximized.
Does anybody experience the same behavior?
Is it due to some consomption of cpu for graphic display of the plugins (btw I get similar behavior with REs and VTSs, and if all of them are folded) or something?

• Information