Standard Notation Editor

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Periwinkle

28 Nov 2019

Does anyone else find it a little annoying that Reason doesn't provide a standard notation editor, and do you think it's likely that they will add one in the future?

.“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

― Banksy

xboix

28 Nov 2019

Yes and no.

Loque

28 Nov 2019

I would be too stupid to use it.
Reason12, Win10

Oquasec

28 Nov 2019

Yep. They might make a re for it eventually but you gotta use something else for it.
In this case notion or Cubase.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

ShelLuser

28 Nov 2019

Can't say I ever missed it.
--- :reason:

gullum

28 Nov 2019

It could be useful for some. Reason is "mostly" used for electronic music so in most cases you would not need to share notation as the other persons computer can read the midi.

I remembered once where I did actually need it, so I had to export my song as midi to get notation in an other DAW

pushedbutton

28 Nov 2019

@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

reggie1979

28 Nov 2019

What good is a notation editor in something that people only use for EDM?

I kid!

NostraDAWmus

29 Nov 2019

Periwinkle wrote:
28 Nov 2019
Does anyone else find it a little annoying that Reason doesn't provide a standard notation editor, and do you think it's likely that they will add one in the future?
Please define "standard".

I already loved the "notation editor" in C-Lab/Emagic Notator and Cubase ATARI,- because they were tools for MIDI data input and MIDI editing too,- not only for printing sheets/ scores and editing such layouts.

So,- yes, I´d appreciate a MIDI editor upgrade on the basis of a notation based MIDI editor because I prefer notation and list over piano-roll.

I´m a player and like to see what I played and (MIDI-) recorded as notation, then move, delete, insert and edit notes on the same level.
But I doubt it will come for Reason.

P.

Periwinkle

29 Nov 2019

I think one advantage might be that a lot of music online is written in standard notation and it would be much quicker to simply copy it into a notation editor. I also think (and I realize this is just a personal thing) that if you are trying to harmonise a melody of finding the key centres of a progression, it's easier to do that while looking at a stave.

That's not to say that I don't love the piano roll editor, in fact, that's where I do most of my writing.

Coming from Logic, I have to say that it is one of the things that I miss. I also think Avid Sibelius is a great piece of software.

.“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

― Banksy

xboix

29 Nov 2019

My wife has a classical music training. Whenever I want her to contribute one of the several real instruments she plays (cello, piano, sax and, yuk, ukulele), which is quite often, I have to supply a few pages of those mysterious blobby things laid out on staves.

The weird thing is that she has no musical creativity. She has been trained from a very early age to play exactly what is on the page, nothing more, nothing less. It's the saxophone stuff that does my head in. She has two and each one is (differently) a "transposing instrument" so the note you hear is not the note that is written down on the staff. Eb, Bb WTF. I hear what I want in my head then music theory gets in the way. Sometimes music is hard, man.

gullum

29 Nov 2019

xboix wrote:
29 Nov 2019
She has two and each one is (differently) a "transposing instrument" so the note you hear is not the note that is written down on the staff. Eb, Bb WTF. I hear what I want in my head then music theory gets in the way. Sometimes music is hard, man.
yes you can make something in Reason and think it sound good and all but it is impossible to play on a real instrument because of it's tuning or octave range.

• Information