using a run commnad in a synth.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
carllackey

27 Nov 2019

how do you use a run patch? what i mean is let's say in complex there is a patch with the word run at the end. how do i play it? please forgive me ahead of time , i'm primarily a guitar player and my synth knowledge is elementary at best! thanks!

wikholm

27 Nov 2019

The [Run] patches tends to be for devices with a built-in sequencer of some sort. They are made to be used with that sequencer running.

One example would be the patch Percutron [Run] for Thor (which I'm using as a first example, as Thor is something every Reason 4+ user has). Once the patch is loaded into a Thor, if not already visible, click the "Show programmer" button. In the bottom left corner of the "unfolded" Thor, there's a grey button marked RUN. In that particular patch, there seems to be little else to immediately do, than to listen to its little beat. In other [Run] patches, say the Thor patch Clippy Filters [Run], in the Rhythmic sub-folder, you'll get a little bassline going, and you can change what key it plays in, by using a MIDI controller keyboard or similar.

The idea is the same in Complex, but its sequencer doesn't have a "RUN" button. Instead, but still in the lower left corner, there's a "Clock Follow Main Sequencer" button. By turning that OFF, the built-in sequencer of Complex can run, even when the Reason song isn't playing. If nothing happens, you'd probably have to connect a clock signal to the "Step" input of the Complex "Sequencer and note quantizer" (but, normally, [Run] patches should already have that done, so that mainly applies if you are making new [Run] patches).

All [Run] patches will typically run automatically whenever the main sequencer is running. The tips above are mainly for being able to audition [Run] patches while composing.

EnochLight

27 Nov 2019

carllackey wrote:
27 Nov 2019
how do you use a run patch? what i mean is let's say in complex there is a patch with the word run at the end. how do i play it? please forgive me ahead of time , i'm primarily a guitar player and my synth knowledge is elementary at best! thanks!
The easiest way is to always have the main sequencer running when you're auditioning presets.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

carllackey

27 Nov 2019

gentlemen thank you so much! i'm starting to realize how deep and complex reason can be!

Noiserunner

28 Nov 2019

Is this the same thread as viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7515119?
(MacBook Pro 13", some soft- and hardware)

EnochLight

28 Nov 2019

Noiserunner wrote:
28 Nov 2019
Is this the same thread as viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7515119?
It is! Is this the same post as:

viewtopic.php?p=477144#p477144

:puf_bigsmile: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information