Advice on where to start [Reason 9 -> Reason 11 suite upgrade]

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pongasoft
RE Developer

26 Nov 2019

Hi guys

I skipped Reason 10 and just got Reason 11 suite. That is quite a jump from Reason 9. In a way it is kind of overwhelming because there is so much new stuff (although at least cosmetically it looks identical at first glance) including big additions like Europa, Complex 1, etc...

So any advice on where to start and how to proceed? Seems like a long (but fun) road to discover everything. Any opinion of when I should focus my attention first?

Thanks
Yan

WongoTheSane

26 Nov 2019

1) Grain. It's an absolute killer for creating soundscapes, whatever genre you're working with. Stutter effects, Paul-stretch like pads, frozen textures, there are no limits. I use it in almost every song.
2) Europa. It's a workhorse, cheap CPU-wise, so chances are it'll replace both Thor and Subtractor in your arsenal. Better learn it sooner than later. It can load wavetables from well-known synths too.
3) Complex. It's fun. Expect hours of utterly non-productive fiddling around, suddenly followed by something that will trigger a whole new song idea.
4) Read the changelogs from 10 and 11 to get a grasp of new DAW functions, aside from the instruments themselves. Spare an hour getting familiar with them, so they become as ingrained as the rest: crossfades, moving several faders at once, multi lane editing, adaptive grid, new note snapping/moving options, etc.

Actually, point 4 should be first, come to think of it. It'll take you less than an hour, better get that behind you. Then Grain, then the rest.

xboix

27 Nov 2019

I'd start with the new players.
Connect Polystep Sequencer or Quad Note Generator to one of the new synths (try Layers).
Connect Drum Sequencer to Umpf Club Drums.

Press play and click through the presets on the players and on the instruments.
Fiddle with the drum pattern and probabilities and mess with the synth pattern
Marvel at how much interesting stuff is going on for so little effort and then try to make a song out of it!

Loque

27 Nov 2019

Grain and Europa, than Parsec. The rest comes while working.

And if you want something special to play around in a modular fashion, Complex-1.
Reason12, Win10

pongasoft
RE Developer

27 Nov 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
26 Nov 2019
4) Read the changelogs from 10 and 11 to get a grasp of new DAW functions, aside from the instruments themselves.
Where do I find these?

Thanks
Yan

ShelLuser

27 Nov 2019

Just get started 😎

I made a somewhat similar jump when I went from Reason 6 to 10 and grabbed several RE's separately. Wel, I'd say just get your hands dirty. Like you said, there's just too much to cover.

And of course it also depends on your eventual goals, music genre, etc.
--- :reason:

tiker01

27 Nov 2019

pongasoft wrote:
27 Nov 2019
WongoTheSane wrote:
26 Nov 2019
4) Read the changelogs from 10 and 11 to get a grasp of new DAW functions, aside from the instruments themselves.
Where do I find these?

Thanks
Yan
Here is one source: https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/upgrade

And a more detailed one: https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ease-notes

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

• Information