Midi channel struggles...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Johnny Potatoes

26 Nov 2019

Hello all. I'm relatively green to Midi so I apologize if this is a stupid question or the answer is right in front of my face. That being said I've recently acquired the Vintage Horns VST from Bigfish Audio which I'm running via the Kontakt Player. When used with a single horn it works flawless, it's when I bring multiple horns in the trouble begins. They have presets of say the JBs horn section. So 5 horns will open in Kontakt, each with a selectable midi channel. (A1, A2, A3....) Reason seems to only send midi on A1 channel. I can't for the life of me find a way to assign a midi channel to a note lane, enabling a unique note lane for each individual horn. I've read a few things about Reason just listening to ports and not channels but I can't imagine thats true. The workaround seems to be unique instances of Kontakt for each horn which seems hard on the CPU. My apologies if the question was silly, I'm still quite green.

Thanks alot,
Gregg

jam-s

28 Nov 2019

As you've found out the midi implementation of Reason is really lacking. This becomes really obvious when you try to use multitimbral instruments (like most Kontakt multis). To add support for this has been a common request since Reason got VST support.

• Information