No sale price on upgrades?

This forum is for discussing Propellerhead's music software. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
reggie1979
Posts: 1176
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 26 Nov 2019

Again, it just saves me money. 10.4 works nicely. I'd like curves and x fades but not for 129 bucks.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5917
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 26 Nov 2019

Philup wrote:
26 Nov 2019
I personally have thought it through... That is why I haven't upgraded.
This was wise. That means you will not be in the same predicament as @Kaydigi.
Philup wrote:
26 Nov 2019
The current model for Reason Studios appears to be "Let's hope the consumer doesn't think it through so we can make more money off them".
I'm not sure I follow. Please explain.
Philup wrote:
26 Nov 2019
A consumer should not be able to "accidentally" pay more for something simply by purchasing the exact same product out of sequence.
That's not what is happening though, is it? @Kaydigi bought Reason 11, and afterwards decided they wanted Reason 11 Suite (@Kaydigi - please correct me if I'm wrong). What hasn't been established is whether @Kaydigi got Reason 11 by upgrading from an older version, or if they bought the entire program without an upgrade. Either way, it appears they simply bought the wrong product.
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 and System 1 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1515
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 26 Nov 2019

EnochLight wrote:
26 Nov 2019
guitfnky wrote:
26 Nov 2019


customers (especially loyal ones who are already supporting your products) shouldn’t have to “think things through” in this regard. if anything, purely out of good customer service, Reason Studios should have “thought things through”.
And that's where we'll have to fundamentally disagree. If I go into an auto dealer and lease a base model, I can't go back a month later and "upgrade" to the top model. As a consumer, it is my responsibility to think things through thoroughly before entering into a business transaction (in this case, buying software).

How is it Reason Studios' fault that people chose to buy the base model 11 with the misplaced assumption they could then upgrade to the top 11 Suite model, when such an offer was never publicized, never advertised, or never even hinted at? Don't get me wrong - it would be swell if they offered such an upgrade path for existing 11 owners, but it feels like some responsibility needs to be taken here.

If the person we're talking about bought base model 11 by accident and really wanted 11 Suite, the best course of action may be to ask for a refund, deauthorize the license, and then buy 11 Suite as they intended (especially since it's on sale now).
that’s a terrible analogy. buying a car and buying software are not remotely comparable.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5917
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 26 Nov 2019

guitfnky wrote:
26 Nov 2019
that’s a terrible analogy. buying a car and buying software are not remotely comparable.
It's just to demonstrate that when you, as a consumer, choose to buy something - you typically do your homework before you part with your hard earned cash. Buying a car, buying software, buying lunch - there's fundamentally no difference.
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 and System 1 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1515
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 26 Nov 2019

EnochLight wrote:
26 Nov 2019
guitfnky wrote:
26 Nov 2019
that’s a terrible analogy. buying a car and buying software are not remotely comparable.
It's just to demonstrate that when you, as a consumer, choose to buy something - you typically do your homework before you part with your hard earned cash. Buying a car, buying software, buying lunch - there's fundamentally no difference.
there are huge fundamental differences between buying tangible goods (e.g. a car) and intangible goods (e.g. software).

reggie1979
Posts: 1176
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 26 Nov 2019

As much as I regret that (being I disagree a lot with EL) I don't disagree here.

I can get into the bitchfest as much as anyone else, but it's not the worst analogy.

That being said, we're talking about the lack of discount (so far) about upgrades in the shop. COMON' PEOPLE, let's get serious..............

xboix
Posts: 139
Joined: 22 Oct 2019

Post 27 Nov 2019

It should have worked like this:
Reason 10 users had two different upgrade paths - Standard and Suite.
Reason 11 should have an upgrade path to 11 Suite that is a lower prices than the cost of going from 10 to Suite.
The total cost of going from 10 to 11 Standard and then on to 11 Suite should be around £20 or £30 more than going straight from 10 to 11 Suite.

That's how most other company's upgrades work - there is a small penalty for upgrading in stages.

It's bizarre that the cost to go from 11 to 11 Suite is the same as going from Reason 1 straight to 11 Suite.

They should also have a tiered upgrade pricing for older versions of Reason.
Going from versions below 10 to 11 should be a bit more expensive than going from 10 to 11. This encourages users to always upgrade rather than tempting them to skip a version.

student9v
Posts: 46
Joined: 29 Sep 2018

Post 27 Nov 2019

Selling new set in which there is no discount on what I already have - this is bad.
You can be deceived 1 time, but 2 times it is impossible.

I already know:

- Reason Studios plugins do not need to be bought, it will then be included in the Suite.
- you don’t need to buy bundles, you will pay for renewal more than a new user.

What conclusion - I just do not want to buy. This is a loss of money in the future. I can not even resell purchased RE.

Another conclusion is that all sales are for new users. They can still be deceived. But 2 times not.
:reason: 5, 11 Lite, 7 x64

User avatar
tt_lab
Posts: 288
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 27 Nov 2019

EnochLight wrote:
26 Nov 2019
So you're arguing that a consumer has no responsibility to think things through when shopping for software? That was my point, using the car analogy.
Not at all. I'm saying that that analogy is not valid because there are other factors that make it that way (IE the car breaks).
If you search for pears to pears comparison, you can talk about almost all devs sale upgrades to their basic options. I can think of multiple example; Sampletank, you can buy the regular and later upgrade to MAX. Soundcloud ,eventhough its not software per se, you can choose the lower tier and then change to a pro or something like that tier, and you pay the difference.

Devs are usually very carefull about double dipping on their existing customers.

And even in cars,I think this is more suitable. Lets say reason 11 is a mustang, and suite a mustang with AC WIFI and a very expensive audio system. You don't pay the full mustang price just to get these extras on your regular mustang. Surely you'll end up paying more than if you buy it out of the factory, and ther eit is the customer responsibility price, but not full price.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5917
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 27 Nov 2019

tt_lab wrote:
27 Nov 2019
Not at all. I'm saying that that analogy is not valid because there are other factors that make it that way (IE the car breaks).
If you search for pears to pears comparison, you can talk about almost all devs sale upgrades to their basic options. I can think of multiple example; Sampletank, you can buy the regular and later upgrade to MAX. Soundcloud ,eventhough its not software per se, you can choose the lower tier and then change to a pro or something like that tier, and you pay the difference.

Devs are usually very carefull about double dipping on their existing customers.

And even in cars,I think this is more suitable. Lets say reason 11 is a mustang, and suite a mustang with AC WIFI and a very expensive audio system. You don't pay the full mustang price just to get these extras on your regular mustang. Surely you'll end up paying more than if you buy it out of the factory, and ther eit is the customer responsibility price, but not full price.
I feel the car example still applies - regardless of there being maintenance costs involved. The simple explanation is: you typically put a lot of thought behind purchasing something, before you purchase it, so you know you're buying exactly what you want. That is literally the responsibility of the consumer, else you are practicing business transactions poorly (IMHO).

Whether it's buying a car, buying clothes, buying a new TV, or - you guessed it - buying software (read: a software license) it is literally no different. You are agreeing to part with your money in exchange for something you want. Full stop.

My comments were only meant to address the idea that someone would upgrade from a previous version of Reason (i.e., pre-11) or buy full Reason 11 outright, knowing there are only 2 choices: Reason 11, or Reason 11 Suite. You do your research, look at what fits your needs/desires best, and buy that one. You don't buy Reason 11 and then wonder why there is no crossgrade path to Reason 11 Suite when it was never once ever mentioned, anywhere.

Again, it would be swell if there were discounts on the upgrade price (from previous versions), and it would be swell if there was a "crossgrade" option for Reason 11 owners-to-Reason 11 Suite. But there isn't. I'd hope people would do their research first before buying, is all I am saying. :)
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 and System 1 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

$(username)
Posts: 11
Joined: 22 Jul 2018

Post 27 Nov 2019

People should be very very thankful that the upgrade offers are publicly available in the first place and not hidden deeply in a flood of spam emails or only mentioned as a side note somewhere in a closed facebook group post.

This is not something that should be taken for granted with Reason Studios.

User avatar
vondersulzburg
Posts: 72
Joined: 24 May 2016
Location: Stuttgart

Post 27 Nov 2019

I still disappointed, that there is no price for upgrading to Suite, depending on the numbers of RE I have.

There is no discount on upgrades until now. I think that they will loose more money from not upgrading than from the discount e.g. 99 Euro for standard. But it is still not the end of all discount days.

Some time ago I bought Ableton Standard and after 1 week there was a discount on Suite. They switched me to Suite for the actual discount and I only had to pay the difference between my standard and the discounted Suite price.

At the moment you can upgrade to StudiOne 4.5 from every version vor 79€ :shock: I am on 2 so this is very interesting.
MacBook Air 512GB SSD 16GB RAM, Reason 10, LogicProX, FL-Studio and now again StudioOne V4.5 maybe because of the price value (76€ from 2 to 4.5).

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5917
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 27 Nov 2019

vondersulzburg wrote:
27 Nov 2019
At the moment you can upgrade to StudiOne 4.5 from every version vor 79€ :shock: I am on 2 so this is very interesting.
The difference between Studio One 2 and 4.5 is huge. For that price, I'd totally jump on that! **

** Well, that is if you use Studio One at all...
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 and System 1 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

fullforce
Posts: 227
Joined: 18 Aug 2018

Post 27 Nov 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
22 Nov 2019
Its a shame, not sure i would have bought an upgrade on sale anyway. What did worry me was Mattias tweeting about how great the suite upgrade price is .... seems he misses the point where customers already own loads of the devices? clueless? or just zero cares given?
They make more money on a suite upgrade. That's why.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

reggie1979
Posts: 1176
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 27 Nov 2019

FFS. When Studio One has a sale, the upgrades and crossgrades are on sale too. All anyone is saying is that they are disappointed that the upgrades are not on sale. What is wrong with that? Christ.

End thread :roll:

kitekrazy
Posts: 748
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 27 Nov 2019

student9v wrote:
27 Nov 2019
Selling new set in which there is no discount on what I already have - this is bad.
You can be deceived 1 time, but 2 times it is impossible.

I already know:

- Reason Studios plugins do not need to be bought, it will then be included in the Suite.
- you don’t need to buy bundles, you will pay for renewal more than a new user.

What conclusion - I just do not want to buy. This is a loss of money in the future. I can not even resell purchased RE.

Another conclusion is that all sales are for new users. They can still be deceived. But 2 times not.
I feel this way with Live's Suite. $225 on sale and really no serious updates on their Suite.

Another odd one is IK products. I have everything in TRacks but they would still charge me over $200 just for the TRacks Max label.

kitekrazy
Posts: 748
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 27 Nov 2019

EnochLight wrote:
27 Nov 2019
vondersulzburg wrote:
27 Nov 2019
At the moment you can upgrade to StudiOne 4.5 from every version vor 79€ :shock: I am on 2 so this is very interesting.
The difference between Studio One 2 and 4.5 is huge. For that price, I'd totally jump on that! **

** Well, that is if you use Studio One at all...
Studio One is very aggressive in keeping it's users in upgrade pricing. My 3 to 4 upgrade was under $70 last BF.

anDre
Posts: 8
Joined: 17 Apr 2019

Post 28 Nov 2019

Too bad, the only thing I wanted to buy in the sale was the R11 Suite upgrade.
Well then I'll stay a little longer with R10 and upgrade my S1 artist license to pro instead.

Kaydigi
Posts: 21
Joined: 02 Sep 2015

Post 28 Nov 2019

EnochLight wrote:
25 Nov 2019
Kaydigi wrote:
25 Nov 2019
This blows, how is there not an upgrade sale option for Reason 11 users to the suite upgrade? I've tweeted Reason Studios, contacted customer support and have not received a response.

They could have at least had it for $199.
Reason 11 to Suite 11? Both were announced at the same time. If you bought 11 instead of Suite 11, no offense but - it sounds like you just didn't think things through.
My comments were only meant to address the idea that someone would upgrade from a previous version of Reason (i.e., pre-11) or buy full Reason 11 outright, knowing there are only 2 choices: Reason 11, or Reason 11 Suite. You do your research, look at what fits your needs/desires best, and buy that one. You don't buy Reason 11 and then wonder why there is no crossgrade path to Reason 11 Suite when it was never once ever mentioned, anywhere.

Again, it would be swell if there were discounts on the upgrade price (from previous versions), and it would be swell if there was a "crossgrade" option for Reason 11 owners-to-Reason 11 Suite. But there isn't. I'd hope people would do their research first before buying, is all I am saying. :)
I bought the Reason 11 upgrade from Reason 9 when Reason 11 was announced through Sweetwater.

Since I bought it there and not directly through Propellerheads shop there is no opportunity for a refund.

Every major daw has upgrade paths for their products, so it wasn’t a stretch that their would be some sort of discount to go from r11 to r11 suite. Ableton, Native Instruments, Akai, Presonus, FL Studio all have discounted paths to the suite editions. I own all of them and have done it over the years.

I have three choices

1 pay the full $249 that they are asking

2 sell my full Reason 11 license via transfer for under $200.

3 use the dollars for that sale and upgrade the second reason 2.5 full license I have on my account.

student9v
Posts: 46
Joined: 29 Sep 2018

Post 28 Nov 2019

Kaydigi wrote:
28 Nov 2019
3 use the dollars for that sale and upgrade the second reason 2.5 full license I have on my account.
If you are upgrading 2.5, it is also transferred to the new buyer.
:reason: 5, 11 Lite, 7 x64

Kaydigi
Posts: 21
Joined: 02 Sep 2015

Post 28 Nov 2019

student9v wrote:
28 Nov 2019
Kaydigi wrote:
28 Nov 2019
3 use the dollars for that sale and upgrade the second reason 2.5 full license I have on my account.
If you are upgrading 2.5, it is also transferred to the new buyer.
It’s a separate license. I have two full licenses on my account from over the years.

Reason 3 to 11 with upgrades

And a separate 2.5 full version with no upgrades.

When selecting transfer it let me pick which one I want to transfer. Are you thinking that wouldn’t work?

kitekrazy
Posts: 748
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 29 Nov 2019

anDre wrote:
28 Nov 2019
Too bad, the only thing I wanted to buy in the sale was the R11 Suite upgrade.
Well then I'll stay a little longer with R10 and upgrade my S1 artist license to pro instead.
Maybe at Christmas. Most DAW developers had sales, even Pro Tools.

Barriott
Posts: 7
Joined: 19 Feb 2016

Post 29 Nov 2019

I'm not even that dissapointed. If suite had been on sale for upgrade, price dependent, I'd have probably bought it.

Alas. Arturia got my £££. I paid like 80 odd quid for v collection upgrade. Absolute bargain

anDre
Posts: 8
Joined: 17 Apr 2019

Post 29 Nov 2019

kitekrazy wrote:
29 Nov 2019
anDre wrote:
28 Nov 2019
Too bad, the only thing I wanted to buy in the sale was the R11 Suite upgrade.
Well then I'll stay a little longer with R10 and upgrade my S1 artist license to pro instead.
Maybe at Christmas. Most DAW developers had sales, even Pro Tools.
Or maybe next year, i'm not in a hurry, don't really need it.

Kaydigi
Posts: 21
Joined: 02 Sep 2015

Post 29 Nov 2019

Jrrshop has r11 suite for 224.10, going to pick it up from there .

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Timmy Crowne, Trendiction [Bot] and 3 guests