Reason not recognizing faders/knobs on M-Audio Controller

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
txlonelystar

21 Nov 2019

I use an M-Audio Axiom 49.

I've always been able to trigger sounds using the "piano" keys without any trouble. I am still able to do that, so I know that Reason is recognizing and interacting with my controller.

But I've never been able to get any recognition/control from any of the faders and knobs on the controller. How can I fix this?

I looked at a YouTube video on Remote Control Override, and it seemed like it was the right track, but I still couldn't get any recognition from Reason when I'd move the faders or twist the knobs.

What things can I try to tweak the MIDI Setup and be able to use the functionality of my faders and knobs? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Nokturnl

22 Nov 2019

I have had similar issues, i changed the USB it was plugged into and it all worked for me after that.

Molotovbeatz

25 Nov 2019

You need to setup your midi keyboard as "control keyboard" and as "control surface" like I did with my Akai MPK which had a similar problem.
controler.PNG
controler.PNG (23.5 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
Let us know if it worked.

txlonelystar

25 Nov 2019

So mine is currently set up with the Axiom as the master keyboard. It does not also show as a Control Surface. It shows as a Control Keyboard. Which I’m guessing is what you would have expected, given your suggestion.

So how do I set up the Axiom as a Control Surface, in addition to the Control Keyboard it’s already set up as?

If I can figure that out, might solve the problem. Any tips on setting it as a Control Surface are greatly appreciated.

Molotovbeatz

25 Nov 2019

To add another control keyboard or control surface, you press the button "ADD MANUALLY" and you select your keyboard from the list. If the keyboard's name is not listed then you chose "OTHER" like mine in the screenshot. Then you choose between keyboard or surface. Since you have already a control keyboard, then just choose the control surface option. Don't worry about the red X icon or the warning :exclamation: . It will work just fine.

After closing the Preference setting, you go on a fader from the SSL or audio track for example, you right click and select "Edit remote override mapping". Make sure "Learn from control surface input" is selected, then move any fader from your keyboard so that reason can detect which fader input you are moving. You will see some letters or numbers which suggest that control surface responsible for the fader movement is working. Hit OK and voila, you can now play with your physical fader button.

txlonelystar

25 Nov 2019

I may have misspoken and been incorrect before.

It looks like my Reason has auto-set my Axiom as a "Control Surface" already. Not as a "Control Keyboard". Though it does say it is the Master Keyboard, if that makes any difference.

But then, if I go and try to add a second Axiom, it will allow me to add it, but it does not give me any options for choosing "Control Surface" or "Control Keyboard". ???

I'm trying to attach some screenshots which will hopefully show what I'm talking about.

Though the initial Axiom (that is recognized for piano keys) is showing as a "Control Surface", the knobs are not recognized by Reason.

Also, I have tested them with MIDI-Ox, and the knobs are working there. All help is greatly appreciated.

Reason 1.jpg
Reason 1.jpg (93.34 KiB) Viewed 2696 times

Reason 2.jpg
Reason 2.jpg (77.68 KiB) Viewed 2696 times

Molotovbeatz

25 Nov 2019

Okay, in this case for the Surface, select "OTHER" and there you can choose (MIDI control surface), then MIDI input on the lower part above OK & Cancel.

Also a question: On your keyboard, you don't have any function called Control or CTRL perhaps?

surface.jpg
surface.jpg (64.94 KiB) Viewed 2687 times
If the method I suggested above does not work then you might want to try this:

I am running out of ideas. I hope the video helps as it's about your keyboard and it could be different setup than mine. Follow the instruction on the video to see if it will work. If the video above does not help neither then contact M-Audio Support, they should be able to help you with providing you steps how to do it.

txlonelystar

25 Nov 2019

That worked!! Thanks!

I set up the "second" Axiom as a MIDI Other, like you suggested, and it gave me the option to set it as a control surface, and now I can control Reason knobs using my Axiom knobs.Thanks so much!

My faders still don't work, but that's a separate issue. They don't register in MIDI-Ox either (neither do my pads), but this has given me greater functionality with my device. VERY appreciative. Thanks again!!

Molotovbeatz

25 Nov 2019

I am glad that I helped. Enjoy and have fun

LudvigC
Reason Studios

27 Nov 2019

Hey,

some confusion in this thread. Here are some facts:

* If there is a dedicated entry for your keyboard model in the list in the preferences (or if Reason can find it using auto-detect), there's no need to add it as a generic "Control Keyboard" or similar. Those are only for keyboards and controllers that don't have proper Remote support.

* From the pictures it seems that Reason finds the Axiom 49 ok (green checkmark), and you say the keyboard works but the faders and knobs don't work. This means that the controls on the Axiom aren't sending the MIDI message that Reason expects. Check the following:

- When you add the Axiom 49 in the preferences, check that both MIDI Input and Output are selected ok in the dialog! The output is needed because Reason sends MIDI data to the Axiom after it's added, reprogramming preset 10 to set the controls to a known state.

- Make sure that preset 10 is selected on the Axiom!

If this doesn't help, something weird is going on. It might be worth running a MIDI Monitor application and checking what MIDI messages are sent by the faders and knobs! This is what Reason expects for the Axiom49:

Transport Buttons: MIDI CC 20 - 25
Buttons: MIDI CC 52 - 60
Knobs: MIDI CC 102 - 109
Faders: MIDI CC 110 - 118

Good luck / LudvigC (Reason Studios)

• Information