Big Black Delta mindbending vocal effect

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Bjørn Felle

21 Nov 2019

This is driving me mad. I have to know how he did this. Listen to the whole track if you have time, it is amazing. But the part I'm obsessing over is 02:54 to 03:02. I'd really love any pointers on how he might have done that, because nothing I've tried comes close.

Noise
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2019

Stock device - "The Echo"
Looks to me pretty achievable with the echo (fast time) + trigger roll. and then use a phaser effect in the breakout output. I would start from there if it was me.

( btw, great album )
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

Bjørn Felle

21 Nov 2019

I'm just trying what you suggested but I can't get the idea. What is the phaser on the output for?

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2019

Use Grain

diminished
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2019

That's just a really fast stutter effect if you take away the distortion. You can do that with Glitch RE (Or StutterEdit from iZotope). Add a pitch shifter afterwards for a little more creative control.
You'd want some very heavy compression at the end of the chain because the stuttering can give you both extremely low and high levels.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Bjørn Felle

21 Nov 2019

aeox wrote:
21 Nov 2019
Use Grain
I did wonder if Grain was capable of something like this. But I really have no idea where to start with it to be honest.
diminished wrote:
21 Nov 2019
That's just a really fast stutter effect if you take away the distortion. You can do that with Glitch RE (Or StutterEdit from iZotope). Add a pitch shifter afterwards for a little more creative control.
You'd want some very heavy compression at the end of the chain because the stuttering can give you both extremely low and high levels.
Funnily enough I'm looking into that kind of thing. I've been jamming some vocals through Bitspeek and getting nice vocal tones which sound like they get frozen at the start of each step, stretched across the step, and then it samples again at the beginning of the next step. I think something like that sliced and then played with a sequencer on a fast speed and Neptune in there for pitch and formant shifting and I could get close. I'll check out that RE too just in case it can do it better!

diminished
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2019

Glitch RE is limited to 1/64th steps though which might be not fast enough for your liking.
I recommend you put some controls on pads and knobs of your midi controller - like stutter on/off, stutter speed, the gating option of GlitchRE and the pitch wheel of an initialized Polar, and just jam a bit.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2019

diminished wrote:
21 Nov 2019
Glitch RE is limited to 1/64th steps though which might be not fast enough for your liking.
I recommend you put some controls on pads and knobs of your midi controller - like stutter on/off, stutter speed, the gating option of GlitchRE and the pitch wheel of an initialized Polar, and just jam a bit.
Yea that RE would be way easier to deal with over Grain :P

Bjørn Felle

21 Nov 2019

diminished wrote:
21 Nov 2019
Yeah I intend to, my novation remote 25 is perfect for jamming things like that. It's easy to get midi to multiple devices too so I was thinking of remote mapping bitspeek, neptune and maybe a delay, but I'll try with Glitch first. There was a point in the intro video for glitch where he ramped the stutter and I could hear an element of what I am aiming for so that has potential.

Bjørn Felle

21 Nov 2019

aeox wrote:
21 Nov 2019
diminished wrote:
21 Nov 2019
I find grain completely incomprehensible, but then I used to say that about Europa and now I don't know why I was so scared of it

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2019

Bjørn Felle wrote:
21 Nov 2019
aeox wrote:
21 Nov 2019

I find grain completely incomprehensible, but then I used to say that about Europa and now I don't know why I was so scared of it
Grain works but takes more automation and tweaking to get it right for me

Bjørn Felle

21 Nov 2019

aeox wrote:
21 Nov 2019
Grain works but takes more automation and tweaking to get it right for me
Oh I'm sure it's incredible. I just don't understand it

Boombastix
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2019

That is iZotope's Stutter Edit.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Bjørn Felle

22 Nov 2019

Boombastix wrote:
21 Nov 2019
That is iZotope's Stutter Edit.
Oh really? That plugin alone will do this? I have an idea for how to do it with Glitch RE by mapping a button to the stutter enabled parameter and also inversely mapped to the mute button for the device. That way I can produce a prolonged vowel but hear nothing, hit the button and get a stuttered version of that vowel. Repeat lots of times in sequence. If that doesn't work I'll give iZotope a try. Thanks man.

Bjørn Felle

22 Nov 2019

Hmm, I wonder if this might do the trick if I can’t get a result I’m happy with using Glitch.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ion/fritz/

Aquila

22 Nov 2019

Polar's lock function works well for this effect too

Bjørn Felle

22 Nov 2019

OH MY SHIT YES, Fritz is the one.

This may be achievable with stock devices (Grain + Polar with lock as Aquila just mentioned) but when it sounds this perfect I'm just gonna buy the shit out of this plugin while it's on sale, it will support the devs anyway :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

EdGrip

26 Nov 2019

<3 Fritz

EnochLight

26 Nov 2019

Bjørn Felle wrote:
22 Nov 2019
OH MY SHIT YES, Fritz is the one.

This may be achievable with stock devices (Grain + Polar with lock as Aquila just mentioned) but when it sounds this perfect I'm just gonna buy the shit out of this plugin while it's on sale, it will support the devs anyway :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Navi did a great Refill expansion for Fritz as well:

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Bjørn Felle

27 Nov 2019

EnochLight wrote:
26 Nov 2019
Navi did a great Refill expansion for Fritz as well:
Oh nice one, thanks dude I'll check it out. I've spent a lot of time working on this with Fritz and it is a great RE. I'm really happy with the result so far.

• Information