PC randomly shuts down

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
xboix

20 Nov 2019

eudopia wrote:
19 Nov 2019

i removed (and put back in) a stick of RAM a week or so ago to check brand and type so i could add some more (haven't added it yet though).
That's your problem right there. Take out that same RAM stick, polish/clean the connections and refit it. Check that it and the adjacent ones are seated correctly. If that does not sort it repeat with the other RAM sticks.

eudopia

20 Nov 2019

RealReasonHead wrote:
19 Nov 2019
Also, 24 GB? 3x8? Maybe Reason has an issue with 3 RAM sticks? Dunno, poking around in the dark a bit here.
the MB is optimised for triple channel RAM (i.e. 3 sticks or 6 sticks) and at the time i fitted a triple channel kit consisting of 3 x 8gb sticks.
fullforce wrote:
19 Nov 2019
So you get NO blue screen but it reboots by itself? And when it comes back on it doesn't say anything (on the bios screen) about a power surge or something?
no BSOD but it does reboot by itself. haven't noticed and messages about power surging
diminished wrote:
19 Nov 2019
Have you changed anything recently regarding the hardware?
Is you power supply delivering enough juice for your system?
only that i removed and put back a stick of RAM so i could check brand and type (as mentioned before).

eudopia

20 Nov 2019

EnochLight wrote:
19 Nov 2019
I'm guessing that's 40 celsius? Your CPU does not have any thermal monitoring tech, according to its spec page:
yes, celcius. i don't know how CoreTemp works, but i've been using it for years and it's been great and in the early days i would confirm using my hand to placed by the exhaust fan :) not scientific i know but the temperature of the air coming out has always been in like with what is reported.

https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
EnochLight wrote:
19 Nov 2019
It's possible it's a software issue somewhere, as the OP claims he has no other issues running any other software, even with his CPU/GPU maxed out doing rendering. Just strange that Reason seems to be his trigger when it's allegedly not maxing out his CPU/GPU.
exactly. i left my PC on last night and have not launched Reason since and have had no issues. my PC sometimes goes for days under full load so it's not heat related. it's right next to me so i'd know if CoreTemp wasn't reporting right.
Loque wrote:
19 Nov 2019
Out of topic... Running odd number of RAM sticks can slow down your system. But your CPU is so old, it probably doesn't have a burst mode anyway.
the MB is optimised for triple channel so should be used with either 3 (recommended) or 6 sticks for optimum use.
Last edited by eudopia on 20 Nov 2019, edited 1 time in total.

eudopia

20 Nov 2019

Boombastix wrote:
20 Nov 2019
Graphics drivers can do this (update or roll-back), sudden CPU temp spike (new paste), or bad connection to RAM (clean with eraser), bad PSU (nightmare to fix unless you understand PSU and soldering).
xboix wrote:
20 Nov 2019
That's your problem right there. Take out that same RAM stick, polish/clean the connections and refit it. Check that it and the adjacent ones are seated correctly. If that does not sort it repeat with the other RAM sticks.
i thought the same but i've not had any issues since i closed Reason (pc left on overnight and i've been using it all morning).

i'd like to get to the bottom of this as of the DAWs i've tried out Reason is the one i get along most with.

EnochLight

20 Nov 2019

eudopia wrote:
20 Nov 2019
i thought the same but i've not had any issues since i closed Reason (pc left on overnight and i've been using it all morning).

i'd like to get to the bottom of this as of the DAWs i've tried out Reason is the one i get along most with.
OK, so audio card drivers - what's your interface and what drivers are you using? Maybe that's the cause? Finally, turn off Hyperthreading in Reason.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

eudopia

22 Nov 2019

EnochLight wrote:
20 Nov 2019
eudopia wrote:
20 Nov 2019

OK, so audio card drivers - what's your interface and what drivers are you using? Maybe that's the cause? Finally, turn off Hyperthreading in Reason.
reluctantly i held off on using Reason and have had my PC on the whole time and have been using it for other tasks without issue, so there must be a conflict somewhere.

audio interface is as basic as it gets for now - onboard sound and computer keys. i'll update the MB sound drivers as they've never been updated.

regarding Hyperthreading - is that a known issue? i need that for other software...

thanks to everyone for your help by the way :thumbs_up:

Loque

22 Nov 2019

Thats pretty strange. So maybe it is really an issue with the audio driver/chip. Can you try a different, maybe external audio card and driver?
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

22 Nov 2019

eudopia wrote:
22 Nov 2019

regarding Hyperthreading - is that a known issue? i need that for other software...

thanks to everyone for your help by the way :thumbs_up:
You misunderstand - turn off Hyperthreading in Reason, not on your PC’s motherboard or anything. When you’re running Reason, in Reason’s preferences, un-check the use Hyperrthreading option.

It’s just a shot in the dark. On some machines - especially older - turning of HT in Reason helps performance. If you don’t notice a difference, then clearly that’s not the issue.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information