PC randomly shuts down

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
eudopia

19 Nov 2019

hi all - new user here.

i'm trying out Reason and have an issue where my PC will completely and suddenly shut down for no apparent reason. it has only happened a handful of times over the last couple of weeks.

i'm new to music production and DAWs in general so have no prior experience. PC specs are:

i7 980x CPU
GTX 1070 GPU
24gb RAM
W7

i'm using the onboard sound from an Asus p6x58d-e MB and this morning i experienced a shutdown with no MIDI controllers or any other inputs attached, so it was purely Reason using the computer keys to play sounds. the rack only had a few instruments in it and i was playing a single instrument at the time of the shutdown so CPU usage was very low.

is there anywhere in particular i should be looking to solve this issue?

xboix

19 Nov 2019

My first thought is overheating.
Actually, that's my only thought!

Loque

19 Nov 2019

xboix wrote:
19 Nov 2019
My first thought is overheating.
Actually, that's my only thought!
That would make sense. I once did not had enough silver paste on the CPU...
Reason12, Win10

miyaru

19 Nov 2019

Open up your pc, detach the cpu cooler, losen your cpu, clean your cpu and contact surface of your cooler and apply new cooling paste.

Then re-assemble your cpu and cooler - that should do the trick........
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

ThatKevinHanleyGuy

19 Nov 2019

Heat is a good guess, and I’ve also had this happen when a power supply was about to go bad. Even though CPU usage was low, playback in Reason is naturally going to increase the load on the PC, both heat and power.

Could also be a bad stick of RAM which is harder to diagnose.
soundcloud.com/thatkevinhanleyguy

eudopia

19 Nov 2019

thanks for the replies but it's definitely not overheating. i appreciate my PC is getting on a bit now but it's barely breaking sweat when used with DAWs (at least for my use) and i have CoreTemp on at all times which confirms temps never go above 40 degrees when using Reason.

i use the same pc for other intensive tasks such as rendering where long stints with both CPU and GPU under full load for hours are nothing new.

and like i said i was only playing one instrument at the time...

any other suggestions?

Loque

19 Nov 2019

As long as we talk about shutdown and not a reboot, i only know that the CPU is the cause of that. Maybe you have software running, which controls the temperature and the settings are wrong. It maybe, that you have similar software for your gfx board running, probably wrong settings too.
Reason12, Win10

RealReasonHead

19 Nov 2019

What does "shutting down" mean exactly? Shutting down like it would when you pressed "Shut down"? Or as in "as if the power went out"-shutdown?

bitley

19 Nov 2019

The first thing to do is to simply power it up and leave it running without doing anything at all. Leave it overnight for instance, and make sure no power saving modes are on at all (yes you can of course turn the monitor off).

Step two is to go through each and every background software installation.

Windows update must be done and passed.

After this you can start thinking about hardware causing it.

For Reason work, this is the relentless tip I have been going on about for 20 years. You need an asio driver and if you do not have (a good) one you can try using Asio 4 All. Running Reason on a PC without specific (or even proper) audio settings will definitely create a buffer overrun thus forcing a restart.

eudopia

19 Nov 2019

thanks again for the help.
RealReasonHead wrote:
19 Nov 2019
What does "shutting down" mean exactly? Shutting down like it would when you pressed "Shut down"? Or as in "as if the power went out"-shutdown?
shut down as in power out. computer does reboot though after shutting down.
bitley wrote:
19 Nov 2019
The first thing to do is to simply power it up and leave it running without doing anything at all. Leave it overnight for instance, and make sure no power saving modes are on at all (yes you can of course turn the monitor off).
+1

i'll leave on overnight and will report back.

Loque

19 Nov 2019

Reboot could mean a defect hardware like RAM or gfx board. I would bet on RAM.
Reason12, Win10

eudopia

19 Nov 2019

Loque wrote:
19 Nov 2019
i removed (and put back in) a stick of RAM a week or so ago to check brand and type so i could add some more (haven't added it yet though). PC is showing the correct amount of RAM - 24GB - when booting.

so you're saying a random shutdown and reboot could be RAM related?

Loque

19 Nov 2019

eudopia wrote:
19 Nov 2019
Loque wrote:
19 Nov 2019
i removed (and put back in) a stick of RAM a week or so ago to check brand and type so i could add some more (haven't added it yet though). PC is showing the correct amount of RAM - 24GB - when booting.

so you're saying a random shutdown and reboot could be RAM related?
Yea. If the RAM has different timing or is not from the same vendor and type, this can cause problems too. Remove everything to only one RAM, than test. If it crashes, try a different one. If it crashes again, search for a different cause. Good luck.
Reason12, Win10

RealReasonHead

19 Nov 2019

RAM could be an issue but it is typically accompanied by a BSOD. RAM is a bit tricky, though, as far as I know. When overclocking you need to check its stability with really long tests (a few hours, if I'm not mistaken) to make sure you've stressed it in all areas. Reason could be just hitting it the wrong way. If you have an XMP enabled, try disabling it and check if it still works.

Also, 24 GB? 3x8? Maybe Reason has an issue with 3 RAM sticks? Dunno, poking around in the dark a bit here.

fullforce

19 Nov 2019

RealReasonHead wrote:
19 Nov 2019
RAM could be an issue but it is typically accompanied by a BSOD. RAM is a bit tricky, though, as far as I know.
This.

It's not that hard. Just install some other OS on a stick and let it run for 24 hours, see if the same thing happens. If it does, it's probably a faulty motherboard or powersupply.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

fullforce

19 Nov 2019

eudopia wrote:
19 Nov 2019
shut down as in power out. computer does reboot though after shutting down.
So you get NO blue screen but it reboots by itself? And when it comes back on it doesn't say anything (on the bios screen) about a power surge or something?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

diminished
Competition Winner

19 Nov 2019

Have you changed anything recently regarding the hardware?
Is you power supply delivering enough juice for your system?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

EnochLight

19 Nov 2019

eudopia wrote:
19 Nov 2019
thanks for the replies but it's definitely not overheating. i appreciate my PC is getting on a bit now but it's barely breaking sweat when used with DAWs (at least for my use) and i have CoreTemp on at all times which confirms temps never go above 40 degrees when using Reason.

i use the same pc for other intensive tasks such as rendering where long stints with both CPU and GPU under full load for hours are nothing new.

and like i said i was only playing one instrument at the time...

any other suggestions?
I'm guessing that's 40 celsius? Your CPU does not have any thermal monitoring tech, according to its spec page:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... l-qpi.html
Thermal Monitoring Technologies protect the processor package and the system from thermal failure through several thermal management features. An on-die Digital Thermal Sensor (DTS) detects the core's temperature, and the thermal management features reduce package power consumption and thereby temperature when required in order to remain within normal operating limits.
So it very well could be temperature spikes causing instability (and your system to shut down). That said, your CPU's TCASE is 67.9°C.

Also, make sure Hyperthreading is turned off in Reason for your CPU. While your CPU is 9 years old and bit slower than my old 3770K (actually, quite a bit slower in single threaded), you should still be able to run Reason 11 on it easily.

Your issues sounds like possible hardware failure, but are you sure you don't have some wonky software installed that's causing some instability?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

pushedbutton

19 Nov 2019

my friend has a pc that did this. after extensive research we concluded that it was fucked.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

bitley

19 Nov 2019

Hehe. ;) They can be, temporarily, but I have never had a computer problem I couldn't fix.

RealReasonHead

19 Nov 2019

EnochLight wrote:
19 Nov 2019
So it very well could be temperature spikes causing instability (and your system to shut down). That said, your CPU's TCASE is 67.9°C.
Wouldn't the CPU just clock down in that case? That should reflect in the clock speeds.

EnochLight

19 Nov 2019

RealReasonHead wrote:
19 Nov 2019
Wouldn't the CPU just clock down in that case? That should reflect in the clock speeds.
No clue. I think most of us are just grasping at straws here, really. It's possible it's a software issue somewhere, as the OP claims he has no other issues running any other software, even with his CPU/GPU maxed out doing rendering. Just strange that Reason seems to be his trigger when it's allegedly not maxing out his CPU/GPU.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chimp_spanner

19 Nov 2019

There’s nothing specific about reason that would cause this to happen, so it’s likely to be some kind of interaction between something unique in your system (either hardware or software). Have you tried looking in the event log? Whenever I e had situations like this I can usually track it down using system event logs. Maybe see if there’s a process or service that’s failing at or shortly before the time of the shutdown.

Beyond that I’d say your best bet is to just back up and do a windows Restore so you can remove any software or OS configuration/corruption that could be at fault.

If it still happens after that, possibly hardware. You could maybe test this by removing all non essential peripherals and also making sure that all your core components have the correct and most recent drivers installed.

Loque

19 Nov 2019

Out of topic... Running odd number of RAM sticks can slow down your system. But your CPU is so old, it probably doesn't have a burst mode anyway.
Reason12, Win10

Boombastix
Competition Winner

20 Nov 2019

Graphics drivers can do this (update or roll-back), sudden CPU temp spike (new paste), or bad connection to RAM (clean with eraser), bad PSU (nightmare to fix unless you understand PSU and soldering).
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information