reason sound is being interrupted, what could be the reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Felipe Turbay

17 Nov 2019

Hello guys,

I am using my e-piano as midi controller with my Focusrite. However, when I am playing i get oft sound interruptions and I dont know why. Attached i would like to show a screenshot of my actual preferences, in case someone could give me a hint about what could be causing the problem. At the beginning i though it might be a cable problem but this I already test and the problems still there.

Thanks for any idea and support!

Sincerly,

Felipe
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (50.19 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (26.37 KiB) Viewed 1756 times

diminished
Competition Winner

17 Nov 2019

If those interruptions as you call them sound like sounds tearing apart and harsh, try disabling hyper-threading. Eventually increase the buffer size, too
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Loque

17 Nov 2019

Disable performance saving options in the OS.
Reason12, Win10

PhillipOrdonez

17 Nov 2019

Hola tocayo, as Loque is saying, if you are on a laptop, make sure it is plugged, and that your power settings are set to maximum performance. Turning hyper threading off may help as well, but most important is making sure your processor is working without throttle.

Felipe Turbay

17 Nov 2019

thanks guys i will try those option and see if the problem continues!

@ saludos Phillip y gracias!

bitley

17 Nov 2019

You may need to increase the buffer setting. A free software called Asio 4 All can improve things.

guitfnky

17 Nov 2019

bitley wrote:
17 Nov 2019
You may need to increase the buffer setting. A free software called Asio 4 All can improve things.
how would ASIO4ALL improve over an ASIO driver built specifically for the Focusrite device? ASIO4ALL is great if you need to access multiple interfaces simultaneously, but in my experience it has its own performance issues (including dropouts, which the OP is specifically trying to avoid).

I doubt it's got anything to do with their buffer unless they're on an awfully slow machine, or are running a lot of devices/plugins. 256 samples should be a pretty stable setting for a typical project.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

bitley

17 Nov 2019

The latency / even dropouts has more to do with drivers than cpu.

xboix

17 Nov 2019

The Focusrite ASIO drivers are more reliable and faster than ASIO4ALL. I think the OP has another problem. Something running in the background perhaps. Antivirus? Firewall?

Take a look in Task Manager or Resource Monitor to see if anything is hogging CPU

guitfnky

17 Nov 2019

bitley wrote:
17 Nov 2019
in that case, buffer settings are even less likely to be the cause, no?
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

esselfortium

17 Nov 2019

So the infamous "Reason Sound" has finally been interrupted, and the first thing we look for is how to get it back...
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

ortxedys

17 Nov 2019

I would suggest you try the ASIO4ALL driver rather than the focusrite driver. I've had issues before with several companies, trying to run their default drivers. I would either get too much latency with them or get random crackles and pops.

To me, the ASIO4ALL driver is actually pretty stable from my several years of using it. Damn near a decade now.

Biolumin3sc3nt

17 Nov 2019

Do You have an Anti-Virus program running in the background??

bitley

18 Nov 2019

ortxedys wrote:
17 Nov 2019
I would suggest you try the ASIO4ALL driver rather than the focusrite driver. I've had issues before with several companies, trying to run their default drivers. I would either get too much latency with them or get random crackles and pops.

To me, the ASIO4ALL driver is actually pretty stable from my several years of using it. Damn near a decade now.
Yeah two decades for me. A workstation PC with a solid installed soundcard is ideal on windows, I have not had much success on non apple laptops. I do some beta testing for both companies and I keep asking microsoft why they never sort this out.

Oquasec

18 Nov 2019

Use Asio4all or fl studio Asio if the interface drivers run into issues with your chipset.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

zoidkirb

18 Nov 2019

guitfnky wrote:
17 Nov 2019
bitley wrote:
17 Nov 2019
in that case, buffer settings are even less likely to be the cause, no?
Personal anecdote time: I've got a focusrite gen 1 that with my very old i7 could always get down to 64 frames buffer and then had good latency...as long as I only had 1 or 2 synths loaded. Anything more and crackles and dropouts happened. I would have to increase the buffer size as projects got bigger. Now with the same card, same focusrite drivers I can sit on 64 frames with similar (maybe slightly lower) latency but on a modern system I can keep loading up vst's and re's and things are stable. Therefore imo latency has equal parts to do with drivers and cpu strength. Two sides of the same coin.

theAnt2002

18 Nov 2019

If it's not a cpu stress and thing, it could be a vst plug in.

I had an issue when an ozone plugin revered to trial version which caused drop outs... Try bypassing any vat effects in your master chain or inserts.

pushedbutton

18 Nov 2019

might be the wifi, try disabling the network port.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

moneykube

18 Nov 2019

bitley wrote:
17 Nov 2019
^^^^^ this makes sense... head explodes... had issues with old digi 002driver(no longer supported)> works for audio input though... got midiman radium usb midi controller for 10 bucks and so far no issues... but to be fair I have not tried the dsp hogs out yet
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

ortxedys

22 Nov 2019

bitley wrote:
18 Nov 2019
ortxedys wrote:
17 Nov 2019

Yeah two decades for me. A workstation PC with a solid installed soundcard is ideal on windows, I have not had much success on non apple laptops. I do some beta testing for both companies and I keep asking microsoft why they never sort this out.
I use both Mac and Windows. While setup on the Mac is fool proof.. I really dont feel setup on Windows is really that bad. Besides simply installing that ASIO4ALL driver. I understand people not wanting to go through that extra step. But over time, i've come to realize I actually prefer PC. Apple has started phasing out a lot of their older 32 bit software. While on PC, most of it is backward compatible. That is huge for me.

But I digress, I only see the positives to both.

• Information