Accapella Question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Skimrok

30 Oct 2019

I build a track up and when using the accapella it just doesn't sound right

my tune is 140 bpm and the original accapella is 130 bpm , so now I have slowed the tune to fit, new accapella in the right places at 130 bpm and now want to bring the whole tune to 140 bpm , what I'm wondering is like say on Dj multi media decks they have keylock function and where this is 10 bpm change I want to know the best way to do this in Reason?

I seem to have hit a brick wall on this today, Neptune glitches the accapella, the accapella is chopped up for easy handling so you get a better idea what have going on

thanks in advance
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

Popey
Competition Winner

30 Oct 2019

Skimrok wrote:
30 Oct 2019

my tune is 140 bpm and the original accapella is 130 bpm , so now I have slowed the tune to fit, new accapella in the right places at 130 bpm and now want to bring the whole tune to 140 bpm , what I'm wondering is like say on Dj multi media decks they have keylock function and where this is 10 bpm change I want to know the best way to do this in Reason?

I seem to have hit a brick wall on this today, Neptune glitches the accapella, the accapella is chopped up for easy handling so you get a better idea what have going on

thanks in advance
Not a reason workaround but if you have dj software (traktor/serato etc) could you not record/bounce the acapella at 130bpm to wav in reason and then load it into the dj software and pitch it up to 140bpm with key lock and record this for reimporting into reason. I am pretty sure you could do this easier using something like serato sample but the above should work without spending money on other vst's. I am not at home to try this but in theory I don't see why it should not work even if it is a bit long winded.

Skimrok

30 Oct 2019

Popey wrote:
30 Oct 2019
Skimrok wrote:
30 Oct 2019

thanks in advance
Not a reason workaround but if you have dj software (traktor/serato etc) could you not record/bounce the acapella at 130bpm to wav in reason and then load it into the dj software and pitch it up to 140bpm with key lock and record this for reimporting into reason. I am pretty sure you could do this easier using something like serato sample but the above should work without spending money on other vst's. I am not at home to try this but in theory I don't see why it should not work even if it is a bit long winded.

That’s a great idea ;) that’s my mission tomorrow :) thanks for the advice :reason: :reason:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

friday

30 Oct 2019

Reason does the time stretch for you! Simplest way is to slow down the tune to 130 then import the acapella in to your project to a audio track. Now you can adjust the tempo and reason will time stretch your acapella audio. The other way is to stretch the audio clip abd hold shift, then reason will time stretch the audio clip.

You can also change the pitch of a audio clip in the sequencer top row.

pushedbutton

30 Oct 2019

Unless the file contains its own tempo metadata it'll assume it's at the tempo your track is set at when you import it.
If you automate the tempo in the track you can drag the file into a section that you've sequenced to the right tempo - just make sure the tempo clip is long enough because if your audio is longer than your tempo clip it'll give you a useless and unexpected tempo.
This process could be a bit more transparent, a little bit more info on what the hell it thinks your asking it to do wouldn't hurt in this case.
So yeah, you want a 130bpm vocal imported, make your track 130bpm before you import it and then cranking it back up to 140bpm should work as you'd hope.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Skimrok

31 Oct 2019

Thanks everybody what I'm going to do is put up two clips and you can see what have, my ears are fried now so you can hear for yourself

saves people guessing with my short text I have done

Skimrok

31 Oct 2019

original bpm and my tune slowed down to accapella

140 bpm when accapella speeded up

hope this helps, is it me or not :?:

selig
RE Developer

31 Oct 2019

Maybe this is intentional but I'm hearing a mismatch between the key of your track and the key of the a cappella, which seems to be off my a fourth. Otherwise, not sure what to listen to in the comparison, as the timing appears to be good.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

submonsterz

31 Oct 2019

Skimrok wrote:
31 Oct 2019
original bpm and my tune slowed down to accapella

140 bpm when accapella speeded up

hope this helps, is it me or not :?:
Other than timing and key to me they both sound like total different entities .

submonsterz

31 Oct 2019

selig wrote:
31 Oct 2019
Maybe this is intentional but I'm hearing a mismatch between the key of your track and the key of the a cappella, which seems to be off my a fourth. Otherwise, not sure what to listen to in the comparison, as the timing appears to be good.
:)
I dont think getting the key right will do the trick to be honest im hearing two different entities that to me even in key will sound like they just wont work or clash some accapellas just allways seem to need something more than just an intrumental thrown on it even in key or in time . Sometimes the actual drums and instrument choice lends hand to making the glue needed to bond both parts together in a harmonious way.

Skimrok

31 Oct 2019

thank you everybody i think i got the picture so let me try something and see if it improves it or make it worse new clip coming tomorrow
Last edited by Skimrok on 31 Oct 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Skimrok

31 Oct 2019

EDITED

I look into it tomorrow ;)

• Information