Reason 11 and Balance as Ignition Key

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
datacorder

27 Oct 2019

Hello

Did anyone successfully write Reason 11 license on a Balance? There is no option for adding 11 license on the authorization page? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you

tiker01

27 Oct 2019

Nope, Balance is not supported any more unfortunately. :(

And be careful as you can remove licence from it but you cannot add and this seems to be the case with earlier versions of Reason too.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

datacorder

27 Oct 2019

Thank you very much, good to know about the license removal thing.

I know that they don't support Balance as audio interface, but not even as an Ignition Key? That's a shame...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2019

tiker01 wrote:
27 Oct 2019
Nope, Balance is not supported any more unfortunately. :(

And be careful as you can remove licence from it but you cannot add and this seems to be the case with earlier versions of Reason too.
Whaaaat????!!!!
Ok...when I do a reinstall of my OS I always deauthorize my PC first. I cant' remember if I've deauthorized my Ignition Key or Balance. It would be weird though if you can't reauthorize them as Balance functions the same way as an Ignition key
From the Balance Manual:

“ Authorizing Reason Essentials with Propellerhead
Balance
The Propellerhead Balance audio interface comes with a specially designed built-in protection key - the Ignition Key”

and Ignition Keys are still available for purchase

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/prod ... ition-key/

This is NOT good if it is true. Balance may not be supported any more but why remove functionality?
Can I ask how you know this. Have you tried it?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

WillyOD

27 Oct 2019

Is this for real? And if this is for real, seriously, a big F you to REASON STUDIOS. What are you even doing with your company and products? Remember when you were all about the backward compatibility. Yeah, me neither.
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2019

I've opened a ticket. I want this answered either way.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Michaellos

27 Oct 2019

I wrote them a message where I asked about the future of usb ignition key almost a month ago, but still no response...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2019

Michaellos wrote:
27 Oct 2019
I wrote them a message where I asked about the future of usb ignition key almost a month ago, but still no response...
I guess we’ll see if I get an answer I was pretty specific in my questions.
Here’s what I wrote:

“ Hi...a couple of questions about Ignition Keys and Authorization.

1.I read on ReasonTalk that there is no option to Authorize Balance for Reason 11. I am on Reason 10.4 and up until now I have been using Balance as my Ignition Key. I know Balance is no longer supported but I would expect that I should still be able to store my licenses on it as the manual states that it functions as an Ignition Key. Can you please advise me as to whether this information from RT is correct.

2. Any time I have reinstalled my OS (windows 10) I have deauthorized my PC on my Account. I don't remember if I have also Deauthorized my Balance when doing this. Do I need to Deauthorize Balance before an OS reinstall and will I then be able to Re-Authorize Balance after the reinstall?

Many thanks if you can help me with this.”
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Michaellos

27 Oct 2019

MrFigg wrote:
27 Oct 2019
Michaellos wrote:
27 Oct 2019
I guess we’ll see if I get an answer I was pretty specific in my questions.
Here’s what I wrote:

“ Hi...a couple of questions about Ignition Keys and Authorization.

1.I read on ReasonTalk that there is no option to Authorize Balance for Reason 11. I am on Reason 10.4 and up until now I have been using Balance as my Ignition Key. I know Balance is no longer supported but I would expect that I should still be able to store my licenses on it as the manual states that it functions as an Ignition Key. Can you please advise me as to whether this information from RT is correct.

2. Any time I have reinstalled my OS (windows 10) I have deauthorized my PC on my Account. I don't remember if I have also Deauthorized my Balance when doing this. Do I need to Deauthorize Balance before an OS reinstall and will I then be able to Re-Authorize Balance after the reinstall?

Many thanks if you can help me with this.”
These are very good questions, and let me quote what I wrote about a month ago :

" Hello ,

I have several questions regarding the future of usb ignition key, and I will be grateful if you would clarify the situation.
There are some rumors that it is discontinued and that makes me feel nervous a bit, since ignition key is something that is very convenient to work with.
I have read a post in your blog that it is removed from the shop for now, however, it still could be found and available for order.
So, is it out of production, and will I have a chance to buy another one in future if something goes wrong with my current key ?
Will I have problems authorizing my key in future versions of Reason ? Will it be totally discontinued and impossible to work with in future ?
Once again, please, clarify the situation.

Best regards,
Michael "

Once again, that was sent more that 3 weeks ago, and I have got no feedback for now

datacorder

27 Oct 2019

I've tried Windows & MacOS using different browsers, hoping that this would be the issue with the Balance Authorization. Unfortunately nothing works, so as tiker01 said that it's not possible any more.

I really hope that it is just an Authorizer app issue that it will be fixed

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2019

datacorder wrote:
27 Oct 2019
I've tried Windows & MacOS using different browsers, hoping that this would be the issue with the Balance Authorization. Unfortunately nothing works, so as tiker01 said that it's not possible any more.

I really hope that it is just an Authorizer app issue that it will be fixed
Yeah. I REALLY hope so too. Hopefully we’ll get an answer soon.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ShelLuser

27 Oct 2019

Now.. I know nothing about Balance because I don't have one myself but... I have learned a little bit about the authorization process.

As you probably know the CodeMeter dongle (the red stick :puf_bigsmile:) got replaced with a virtual dongle. You can see this for yourself if you open the codemeter control center.

Now, I'm pretty cool with the way things work but I was also a little sad that I now have this USB stick which only gathers dust. So I asked support a few months ago and they told me that you can still authenticate Reason 10 + the rack extensions using the old dongle. It all boils down to the control center being able to recognize your codemeter device.

So now I have to wonder: what happens if you guys plug in the balance and open the codemeter control center? Does the balance register as an authentication device? Because if it does then it should be still usable as such (but that's merely a theory of mine).

(edit)

Also interesting... if I go to my license overview then there are 3 options: Computer, Ignition Key and... Balance. So quite frankly I don't quite believe that the Balance is no longer usable, if it was I wouldn't be seeing it mentioned in my list of authorization devices.

(edit2)

Here's how you guys could try: connect your Balance and then go to your My products page. You should have an orange 'button' called "Ignition key". Click it and check the overview. For me it tells me that I have Reason 6.5 and plenty of outdated rack extensions (source: Prop support) on my CmdStick and I have Reason 11 & 'other' Rack extensions authorized on my PC (the virtual cmdstick if you will).

That same 'my products' page also has a bright orange button called "Authorize". Click that and you'll get to your personal "Authorize computer and keys" page. If that overview mentions your Balance then rest assured: it can still be used.

And I say this because it also mentions my (pretty outdated) CmdStick (with my Reason 6.5 license). I started the authorization procedure and what do you know?

cmdkey.jpg
cmdkey.jpg (76.93 KiB) Viewed 44684 times

This convinces me that you guys can still safely use your Balance, no problem at all.

(edit3): Assuming that you get to see the "authorize" option behind the entry. But if it works for my CmdKey then surely it works for your Balance?

If not... Check your codemeter control center to see if you can upgrade the firmware:

codemeter.jpg
codemeter.jpg (32.53 KiB) Viewed 44684 times

See? I upgraded my CmdKey firmware first, then I authorized it and the result is a Reason 11 license (I'm on Reason 10 though) without hassle. So if you can't write stuff to your Balance then you may need to update its firmware as well.

PS: I should use this 'preview' option a bit more :mrgreen:
--- :reason:

EnochLight

27 Oct 2019

MrFigg wrote:
27 Oct 2019
I started a ticket pretty early in in this thread so we’ll see what they say. More interested in the Balance/ Ignition Key response though.
Out of curiosity, what was your question about Balance/Ignition Key? It's a dead product that is no longer supported (neither via drivers, nor by Authorizer). If you want to use it as an Ignition Key still, I'm afraid you're out of luck.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ShelLuser

27 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
27 Oct 2019
Out of curiosity, what was your question about Balance/Ignition Key? It's a dead product that is no longer supported (neither via drivers, nor by Authorizer). If you want to use it as an Ignition Key still, I'm afraid you're out of luck.
See this thread. And I'm not too sure I agree with you for reasons shared in my post on that thread. Of course I can't be sure because I don't have a Balance myself, but considering that I could authorize my no longer used CmdStick I don't see any reason why you couldn't do the same for Balance.

EnochLight

27 Oct 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
27 Oct 2019
See this thread. And I'm not too sure I agree with you for reasons shared in my post on that thread. Of course I can't be sure because I don't have a Balance myself, but considering that I could authorize my no longer used CmdStick I don't see any reason why you couldn't do the same for Balance.
You don't have to agree with me - but it doesn't change the fact that Balance is a discontinued product that is no longer supported. If you're able to get it to work as an Ignition Key still, then congratulations - you're able to squeeze some more value out of a discontinued/dead product that is no longer supported. :thumbs_up:

But don't expect Reason Studios to offer any sort of support for it, either as an audio interface nor an Ignition Key.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ShelLuser

27 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
27 Oct 2019
But don't expect Reason Studios to offer any sort of support for it, either as an audio interface nor an Ignition Key.
But they do. At least that's what their website clearly shows (once again: see my post in that other thread).

EnochLight

27 Oct 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
27 Oct 2019
This convinces me that you guys can still safely use your Balance, no problem at all.
So let me get this straight - you don't own Balance, and just because you see it as an option in your account as an Ignition Key, you think it will work with no problem at all?

For Balance owners that can still get it to work under Windows or MacOS with no problem at all, it's possible you'll still be able to Authorize older versions of Reason that were supported at the time when it was an active product (6.5, 7, etc). I wouldn't count on it working with Reason 11 or future versions, though.

ShelLuser

27 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
27 Oct 2019
ShelLuser wrote:
27 Oct 2019
So let me get this straight - you don't own Balance, and just because you see it as an option in your account as an Ignition Key, you think it will work with no problem at all?
Not just because I see it as an option. Also because I managed to authorize my CmdStick (which is also no longer used). Better yet: I could even upgrade the firmware on said CmdStick to the same version as its being used on the virtual stick (which is the current default).

So considering that the authorization on the Balance is pretty much the same as that of a CmdStick....

EnochLight

27 Oct 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
27 Oct 2019
But they do. At least that's what their website clearly shows (once again: see my post in that other thread).
Interesting. You and I seem to have a vastly different understanding of what "supported" means. 2 years ago:

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... -Downloads

balance.jpg
balance.jpg (116.49 KiB) Viewed 44637 times

EnochLight

27 Oct 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
27 Oct 2019
Not just because I see it as an option. Also because I managed to authorize my CmdStick (which is also no longer used). Better yet: I could even upgrade the firmware on said CmdStick to the same version as its being used on the virtual stick (which is the current default).

So considering that the authorization on the Balance is pretty much the same as that of a CmdStick....
You're making assumptions. Again, Balance is a discontinued product that is no longer supported. If you're able to get it to work as an Ignition Key, you are lucky. And perhaps foolish, since it's no longer supported:

viewtopic.php?p=472941#p472941

ShelLuser

27 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
27 Oct 2019
You're making assumptions. Again, Balance is a discontinued product that is no longer supported.
Same is true for the CmdStick and well... I once again refer to my first post on this thread. Heck; I even learned about this thanks to Prop support.

Alas, you're speculating here just as much as me :puf_bigsmile: I'll just wait for the OP's feedback.

EnochLight

27 Oct 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
27 Oct 2019
EnochLight wrote:
27 Oct 2019
You're making assumptions. Again, Balance is a discontinued product that is no longer supported.
Same is true for the CmdStick and well... I once again refer to my first post on this thread. Heck; I even learned about this thanks to Prop support.

Alas, you're speculating here just as much as me :puf_bigsmile: I'll just wait for the OP's feedback.
How am I speculating when I literally linked to an official Reason Studios support page stating it's "no longer supported"? I even highlighted it in red so you'd see what I was talking about.

As I said, if you're able to get it to work, then congrats - you're lucky! But why someone would want to use a method to store their license on when it's not supported is beyond logic, IMHO. If you lose that key or it's damaged, it's possible Reason Studios wouldn't support you recovering your lost license since it's not supported. Sure, that's speculation - but maybe something to stew on.

PS - I own Balance. ;)

ShelLuser

27 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
27 Oct 2019
If you lose that key or it's damaged, it's possible Reason Studios wouldn't support you recovering your lost license since it's not supported.
Errr, did you even read the posts I made?

My screenshot above clearly showcases that this risk is a non-issue. You may lose the license carrier but that doesn't mean that the licenses also magically disappear from your account, something which is stated in the screenshot I showed above.

Sorry, I don't think it makes much sense discussing something if you don't pay attention to the things someone wrote in their messages.

EnochLight

27 Oct 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
27 Oct 2019
Errr, did you even read the posts I made?

My screenshot above clearly showcases that this risk is a non-issue. You may lose the license carrier but that doesn't mean that the licenses also magically disappear from your account, something which is stated in the screenshot I showed above.

Sorry, I don't think it makes much sense discussing something if you don't pay attention to the things someone wrote in their messages.
Yes, I read what you wrote - I just disagree with your opinion. I'll tell you what: when Reason Studios responds that writing licenses is no longer supported on Balance since it's a discontinued product (at least for Reason 11), you can buy me a beer and we'll call it a day. ;) :lol:

And as I said before, if you're able to get it to work - then congratulations! But the product is dead/not supported. That there's a fact, my friend.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
27 Oct 2019
MrFigg wrote:
27 Oct 2019
I started a ticket pretty early in in this thread so we’ll see what they say. More interested in the Balance/ Ignition Key response though.

Balance IS an Ignition Key. It says so in the manual.
Even though Balance is unsupported it has been functioning as an ignition key right up to the release of Reason 11. I authorized Reason 10.4 on it only recently. The ability of Balance to function as an ignition key has not changed. The option to use Balance as an ignition key however appears to have been withdrawn.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information