Reason 11 and Balance as Ignition Key

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
datacorder

28 Oct 2019

When they clearly say https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... -statement that

We’re happy to report that we have tested Reason 9, Reason Essentials 9, ReCycle 2.2.4 and the Balance audio interface under Windows 10 and found no problems.

...I expect it to work. It's working fine as an audio interface (at least for me).
If they decided to stop using it as an Ignition key, there should be an announcement or smth like this. (like the Rewire feature that's not longer supported on Reason 11).

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2019

To quote myself from another thread:

Balance IS an Ignition Key. It says so in the manual.
Even though Balance is unsupported it has been functioning as an ignition key right up to the release of Reason 11. I authorized Reason 10.4 on it only recently. The ability of Balance to function as an ignition key has not changed. The option to use Balance as an ignition key however, if the posts above are to be believed, appears to have been consciously withdrawn.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

datacorder

28 Oct 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
27 Oct 2019
See? I upgraded my CmdKey firmware first, then I authorized it and the result is a Reason 11 license (I'm on Reason 10 though) without hassle. So if you can't write stuff to your Balance then you may need to update its firmware as well.
Thank you for the suggestion, but even after a firmware update, there isn't an Authorize button next to my Balance on ReasonStudios website. (damn)

ShelLuser

28 Oct 2019

datacorder wrote:
28 Oct 2019
Thank you for the suggestion, but even after a firmware update, there isn't an Authorize button next to my Balance on ReasonStudios website. (damn)
Well, then that makes it fully official. Quite bizarre if you ask me, but yah... For every RS pro there always seems to be a con hidden somewhere.
--- :reason:

EnochLight

28 Oct 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
28 Oct 2019
datacorder wrote:
28 Oct 2019
Well, then that makes it fully official. Quite bizarre if you ask me, but yah... For every RS pro there always seems to be a con hidden somewhere.
I’ll take that beer, now. :)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

28 Oct 2019

MrFigg wrote:
28 Oct 2019
EnochLight wrote:
27 Oct 2019

Out of curiosity, what was your question about Balance/Ignition Key? It's a dead product that is no longer supported (neither via drivers, nor by Authorizer). If you want to use it as an Ignition Key still, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

Even though Balance is unsupported it has been functioning as an ignition key right up to the release of Reason 11. I authorized Reason 10.4 on it only recently. The ability of Balance to function as an ignition key has not changed. The option to use Balance as an ignition key however appears to have been withdrawn.
I’m aware Balance is an Ignition Key (I own Balance). I’m saying it’s a dead product and no longer supported - full stop. Ignition Key component or otherwise. And while you may be able to still store older Reason licenses on it, I’m willing to wager that’s not the case with Reason 11 and all versions going forward.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
28 Oct 2019
MrFigg wrote:
28 Oct 2019

Even though Balance is unsupported it has been functioning as an ignition key right up to the release of Reason 11. I authorized Reason 10.4 on it only recently. The ability of Balance to function as an ignition key has not changed. The option to use Balance as an ignition key however appears to have been withdrawn.
I’m aware Balance is an Ignition Key (I own Balance). I’m saying it’s a dead product and no longer supported - full stop. Ignition Key component or otherwise. And while you may be able to still store older Reason licenses on it, I’m willing to wager that’s not the case with Reason 11 and all versions going forward.
That’s the whole point though Enoch. Before Reason 11 I had the option to Authorize my Balance for Reason 10.4. Now since the release of 11 I don’t. Nothing has changed for me. I’m still on 10.4. Propellerheads have just decided not to let me Authorize any more. No warning. No nothing. Just a “nah, decided we’re not letting you do it any more. Like it or lump it. “
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

28 Oct 2019

MrFigg wrote:
28 Oct 2019
EnochLight wrote:
28 Oct 2019

That’s the whole point though Enoch. Before Reason 11 I had the option to Authorize my Balance for Reason 10.4. Now since the release of 11 I don’t. Nothing has changed for me. I’m still on 10.4. Propellerheads have just decided not to let me Authorize any more. No warning. No nothing. Just a “nah, decided we’re not letting you do it any more. Like it or lump it. “
I get that, but as the product hasn’t been made, sold, nor supported for years, it doesn’t surprise me. It’s possible they may be moving away from hardware dongles entirely. Guess they should have sent out a public announcement and let everyone know they’re discontinuing hardware dongle support, though.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2019

Well just to sum up. A month ago I could authorize Reason 10.4 on my Balance then all of a sudden Propellerheads decide I’m not allowed to any more. No change in my software. No change in my hardware. No change in my License. Just a “fuck you, we’ve decided you can’t because we can and there’s nothing you can do about it.” Nah!!! That’s me on Reason 10 forever. I don’t give a fuck what they do now.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

datacorder

28 Oct 2019

Oh, the irony...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2019

datacorder wrote:
28 Oct 2019
Oh, the irony...

S’what I said too :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

submonsterz

28 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
28 Oct 2019
MrFigg wrote:
28 Oct 2019

I get that, but as the product hasn’t been made, sold, nor supported for years, it doesn’t surprise me. It’s possible they may be moving away from hardware dongles entirely. Guess they should have sent out a public announcement and let everyone know they’re discontinuing hardware dongle support, though.
Im not a balance owner . But i am a ignition key owner . But if what you say is true then after the selling the product as an interface + dongle system i think they dont need to be sending out public notices on not allowing it to function still as an ignition key but offereing a solution to the problem .... as it was sold as a device that can authorize reason for offline line use . It does not mention anywhere that i can see in the boomf ive read on the product a version it will only work on or up too !!! . That we do not support it no longer came after the sales were made of it being a combined interface key.
Now what they should be doing in my oppinion and from an ethical and moral oppinion is to either keep supporting the key function of the device or offer a ignition key for either free or at shipping and admin charge at the very least to the balance owners . It would be very bad for props if they ever dropped the key for offline use . I for one and many other ignition key users will jump ship for that one decision if it ever comes . We want minimum online use of our studio computers and was the attraction to reason and the ignition key system .
Edit and the reason i say this when you will say you can autherize the computer to achieve the same thing .. but my answer is computers break hard disks break etc etc any of the above is bad on the autherizing computer solution . With the key you just need to fix ya shit install plug in the key carey on as normal. But you have only so many times you can get props to fix the issue i pointed out and its a proper pain to get sorted sorry no not a way for me and many others i know .

EnochLight

28 Oct 2019

submonsterz wrote:
28 Oct 2019
Im not a balance owner . But i am a ignition key owner . But if what you say is true then after the selling the product as an interface + dongle system i think they dont need to be sending out public notices on not allowing it to function still as an ignition key but offereing a solution to the problem ....
They've offered a solution for years: authorize your computer for offline use. It is the dongle. People haven't needed old fashioned hardware USB dongles for many many years...

*EDIT
joeyluck wrote:
28 Oct 2019
Hey everybody, please use the other thread to further discuss this ignition key topic :) Is the initial topic of this thread resolved?
D'oh! My bad. :puf_bigsmile:

submonsterz

28 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
28 Oct 2019
submonsterz wrote:
28 Oct 2019
Im not a balance owner . But i am a ignition key owner . But if what you say is true then after the selling the product as an interface + dongle system i think they dont need to be sending out public notices on not allowing it to function still as an ignition key but offereing a solution to the problem ....
They've offered a solution for years: authorize your computer for offline use. It is the dongle. People haven't needed old fashioned hardware USB dongles for many many years...

*EDIT
joeyluck wrote:
28 Oct 2019
Hey everybody, please use the other thread to further discuss this ignition key topic :) Is the initial topic of this thread resolved?
D'oh! My bad. :puf_bigsmile:
Its not a viable solution to your computer breaking while authorized .... i all ready said why its not a solution thats as as good as the key .

submonsterz

28 Oct 2019

Edit *** unless your a person who can read the future and know when that power surge or lightning strike or just general break downs bugs viruses or what ever breaks ya drives or computer components in advance so you can de autherize it to then be locked into the nightmare to get back up and running and with they will only do it a few times before your screwed ....

joeyluck

28 Oct 2019

Hey everybody, I've moved the posts about "Balance as an Ignition Key" from the "Browser Bug" thread to this thread.

Sorry if there is a little confusion with wording now by those comments here now referring to "the other thread," but y'all were on a completely off-topic roll :)

FYI the off-topic posts in the other thread, relating to this thread, outnumbered the existing posts in this thread.

EnochLight

28 Oct 2019

submonsterz wrote:
28 Oct 2019
Its not a viable solution to your computer breaking while authorized .... i all ready said why its not a solution thats as as good as the key .
Sure it's viable - most users do it this way, very likely (else you wouldn't see hardware dongles fall out of fashion). And your "solution" isn't great - what happens when the dongle is lost/stolen or breaks? You have to report it as such through your account.
submonsterz wrote:
28 Oct 2019
Edit *** unless your a person who can read the future and know when that power surge or lightning strike or just general break downs bugs viruses or what ever breaks ya drives or computer components in advance so you can de autherize it to then be locked into the nightmare to get back up and running and with they will only do it a few times before your screwed ....
...and you report it as lost through your account, just like in the example I posted above. Fun fact: if your Ignition Key is constantly lost/stolen, they only de-authorize it so many times before you're screwed, so by your metric - whether you use your actual computer authorized offline or use a hardware dongle,the risks are the same. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bxbrkrz

28 Oct 2019

I don't know how hard it would have been for RS to simply send an auto email to all Balance/IK owners, telling us about the change for RS11. We are in their database.
A definite lack of courtesy.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

submonsterz

28 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
28 Oct 2019
submonsterz wrote:
28 Oct 2019
Sure it's viable - most users do it this way, very likely (else you wouldn't see hardware dongles fall out of fashion). And your "solution" isn't great - what happens when the dongle is lost/stolen or breaks? You have to report it as such through your account.
submonsterz wrote:
28 Oct 2019
...and you report it as lost through your account, just like in the example I posted above. Fun fact: if your Ignition Key is constantly lost/stolen, they only de-authorize it so many times before you're screwed, so by your metric - whether you use your actual computer authorized offline or use a hardware dongle,the risks are the same. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Scenerio of one time my key completely scrwed up i re installed it no problems ever since . And on the what if ya key breaks etc i had two keys at one point i autherized the second one straight on site without de autherizing the first one so ermm dont know what the deal is there but no bullshit to go through for me that time like you said. But you can only autherize one at a time cannot have more than one active on the account at a time . I then put original back as autherized and same thing again it went straight on other was removed no going through props support nothing . I sold /swapped second key with another license i had eventually . But ill buy another spare soon because it worked that way .

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2019

The bottom line however you look at it is that they’ve taken something away which they didn’t NEED to take away and they didn’t tell anybody they were doing it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

28 Oct 2019

submonsterz wrote:
28 Oct 2019
EnochLight wrote:
28 Oct 2019

Scenerio of one time my key completely scrwed up i re installed it no problems ever since . And on the what if ya key breaks etc i had two keys at one point i autherized the second one straight on site without de autherizing the first one so ermm dont know what the deal is there but no bullshit to go through for me that time like you said. But you can only autherize one at a time cannot have more than one active on the account at a time . I then put original back as autherized and same thing again it went straight on other was removed no going through props support nothing . I sold /swapped second key with another license i had eventually . But ill buy another spare soon because it worked that way .
My point is: authorizing/deauthorizing your computer for offline use functionally works the same as plugging in a separate hardware dongle, but eliminates the need for a separate piece of hardware. To me, it simplifies the process a great deal.

EnochLight

28 Oct 2019

MrFigg wrote:
28 Oct 2019
The bottom line however you look at it is that they’ve taken something away which they didn’t NEED to take away and they didn’t tell anybody they were doing it.
Telling people they were doing it - I totally agree. Some sort of announcement would have been nice (though I doubt users who prefer hardware dongles wouldn’t still feel aggrieved).

But NEED may be subjective. If they’re no longer supporting Balance and plan to stop making/selling Ignition Keys, then they probably need to phase out support.

They’ve got the data. I’m willing to wager the vast majority of their users don’t touch hardware dongles.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
28 Oct 2019
MrFigg wrote:
28 Oct 2019
Telling people they were doing it - I totally agree. Some sort of announcement would have been nice (though I doubt users who prefer hardware dongles wouldn’t still feel aggrieved).

But NEED may be subjective. If they’re no longer supporting Balance and plan to stop making/selling Ignition Keys, then they probably need to phase out support.

They’ve got the data. I’m willing to wager the vast majority of their users don’t touch hardware dongles.
Sure. Phase out support. Stop making the product. But don’t just suddenly take away the option for those who have bought ignition Keys already and use them in their current state without any issues.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ShelLuser

28 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
28 Oct 2019
ShelLuser wrote:
28 Oct 2019

🍺

There ya go buddy! :cool:
--- :reason:

EnochLight

28 Oct 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
28 Oct 2019
EnochLight wrote:
28 Oct 2019
🍺

There ya go buddy! :cool:
🍺🍺🍺

Cheers!

• Information