Triggering multiple Kongs

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Periwinkle

20 Oct 2019

Guys, Kong is an amazing drum machine, but I'm finding a problem with the fact that it only has 16 pads. The obvious solution would seem to be to use multiple Kongs, but triggering them from separate instrument tracks is not ideal.

Is there a way that I can write my drum parts across several octaves on the same track and assign them to multiple Kongs.

Also (and please tell me I'm wrong - because it surely can't be true) but it seems that the notes which trigger Kong are fixed and can't be reassigned. [Not sure if this sentence is a question or a statement, so here's an optional question mark: [?]. You can always save it and use it later if you want.

.“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

― Banksy

botnotbot

20 Oct 2019

You will need an intermediary that can drop the octaves of notes. I think even RPG-8 can do this, but there are dedicated RE solutions too, including players.

Once you have that, you can use a combinator to host multiple Kongs using the keyboard split function, then tune down the notes to be at the expected root note for Kong for each given split.

selig
RE Developer

20 Oct 2019

botnotbot wrote:
20 Oct 2019
You will need an intermediary that can drop the octaves of notes. I think even RPG-8 can do this, but there are dedicated RE solutions too, including players.

Once you have that, you can use a combinator to host multiple Kongs using the keyboard split function, then tune down the notes to be at the expected root note for Kong for each given split.
Combinator can do all of the above. Use key split and transpose and you can even have four (or more) Kongs under control of a single keyboard/track if you like!
Selig Audio, LLC

Periwinkle

20 Oct 2019

@botnotbot
@selig
Thanks for your help, guys. This is most useful.

― Banksy

Periwinkle

21 Oct 2019

I just wanted to say that I set this up with keyboard split and transpose and it works brilliantly. I guess you could throw any combination of identical or totally different instruments into a combinator and still trigger them from a single lane. I know Reason has its problems, but I think it really shines when it comes to implementing this kind of thing.

― Banksy

• Information