Anyone still find subtractor irreplaceable?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
BRIGGS

19 Oct 2019

:puf_smile: I just spent 2+ hours comparing all my synths. I found some curious things between the old and new synths. Long story short, for me, older reason synths seem more versatile in a few ways. Yeah, the new stuff sounds better, but work needs to happen quickly. :|

BTW, I can't get Complex-1 or monotone to retrigger on new legato notes. Am I doing it wrong, or maybe it's an oversight, or bug?:cry:

What are your experiences?
r11s

zoidkirb

19 Oct 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
19 Oct 2019
:puf_smile: I just spent 2+ hours comparing all my synths. I found some curious things between the old and new synths. Long story short, for me, older reason synths seem more versatile in a few ways. Yeah, the new stuff sounds better, but work needs to happen quickly. :|

BTW, I can't get Complex-1 or monotone to retrigger on new legato notes. Am I doing it wrong, or maybe it's an oversight, or bug?:cry:

Subtractor is always fun to use. It just fits well.
Monotone has kinda taken over for me as a go to bass. monotone has a re trigger mode.....It's to the right of the portamento controls.

BRIGGS

20 Oct 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
19 Oct 2019
BRIGGS wrote:
19 Oct 2019

Monotone has kinda taken over for me as a go to bass. monotone has a re trigger mode.....It's to the right of the portamento controls.
Complex-1 has a retrigger button too. I tried them both. They seem to not like legato lines coming from the matrix. Subtractor has zero issues.
r11s

Loque

20 Oct 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
20 Oct 2019
Subtractor has zero issues.
That's not true. The envelopes do not fully return to 0 if they are finished. Well, you can call it analog if you want 😏

Europa and others have the same bugs. Only Thor is clean!
Reason12, Win10

zoidkirb

20 Oct 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
20 Oct 2019
zoidkirb wrote:
19 Oct 2019

Complex-1 has a retrigger button too. I tried them both. They seem to not like legato lines coming from the matrix. Subtractor has zero issues.
Ah gotcha! I'm not much of a matrix user so I really don't know. Maybe routing matrix thru cv player tap into another player could do the trick

Chizmata

20 Oct 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
19 Oct 2019

monotone surely is an alternative to sub tractor for basslines, but in the end both have some unique capbilies, like subs still great fm synthesis. the thing about most synths is that they basically do the same, just with different routings - and then they have ONE unique function that separates their sound from the rest. tbh getting a new synth is less about new sound capabilities but more about stimulating your creativity in different ways with the different routings/workflows the synths offer.
Last edited by Chizmata on 20 Oct 2019, edited 1 time in total.

tronam

20 Oct 2019

Subtractor may be downright ancient by modern standards, but it's still special and I haven't really run across another synth quite like it. I still use it along with Thor quite regularly.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

guitfnky

20 Oct 2019

I don’t use it too often, but the default patch you get when you first drag it into a session is excellent if you’re looking for a nice round bass guitar-like sound. you can tell it’s electronic if it’s by itself, but in a mix, it can sound pretty convincing. all without even needing to tweak the thing. still holds up. 👍🏼
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Oct 2019

guitfnky wrote:
20 Oct 2019
I don’t use it too often, but the default patch you get when you first drag it into a session is excellent if you’re looking for a nice round bass guitar-like sound. you can tell it’s electronic if it’s by itself, but in a mix, it can sound pretty convincing. all without even needing to tweak the thing. still holds up. 👍🏼
Yep i agree the bass guitar patch is surpisingly useful.

Other than that I've never really liked Subtractor that much. Not saying it's useless or anything. I just prefer other synths way more. It's like why use it when I find other stuff more fun to work with?

Periwinkle

20 Oct 2019

I think Subtractor has sentimental value for many people because it's been there since the beginning. I think it's a very usable synth and its low CPU usage (I think) make it good for sketching out ideas.

Having said that, having recently purchased Legend, I think I may be using Subtractor less. Legend really is soooooooo good.

.“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

― Banksy

Chizmata

20 Oct 2019

consider that thor, malström, subtractor etc were made in times before rack extensions and therefore had to be as versatile as possible to make the DAW good. todays downloadable synths might not even want to be more than a niche device.

BRIGGS

20 Oct 2019

Chizmata wrote:
20 Oct 2019
consider that thor, malström, subtractor etc were made in times before rack extensions and therefore had to be as versatile as possible to make the DAW good. todays downloadable synths might not even want to be more than a niche device.
:thumbs_up: good point!
r11s

BRIGGS

20 Oct 2019

Loque wrote:
20 Oct 2019
BRIGGS wrote:
20 Oct 2019
Subtractor has zero issues.
That's not true. The envelopes do not fully return to 0 if they are finished. Well, you can call it analog if you want 😏

Europa and others have the same bugs. Only Thor is clean!
:lol: lolz!!! Ever find a malstrom with it's amp envelopes stuck open? It's happened a few times to me.
r11s

BRIGGS

20 Oct 2019

tronam wrote:
20 Oct 2019
Subtractor may be downright ancient by modern standards, but it's still special and I haven't really run across another synth quite like it. I still use it along with Thor quite regularly.
Sometimes, old is better. Wine or cheese comes to mind, in this case. :puf_smile:
r11s

guitfnky

20 Oct 2019

Periwinkle wrote:
20 Oct 2019
Having said that, having recently purchased Legend, I think I may be using Subtractor less. Legend really is soooooooo good.
I haven’t heard a better-sounding traditional synth Rack Extension (or stock device) than The Legend. nothing comes close, IMO. Subtractor is better to use in the background, to augment other stuff, but if you need sounds that will hold up in center stage, The Legend is way more appropriate.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

NekujaK

20 Oct 2019

I routinely use Subtractor to layer sub bass into tracks. I have many other tools capable of the same thing, but Subtractor is always my go-to, and seems to deliver the best results for me.

Also, I'm not a synth guy and don't program synths, but... Subtractor is the one synth I fully grok and can competently tweak if I want to get my hands dirty ;)
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Carpainter

20 Oct 2019

I wasn't impressed with Subtractor when I first got Reason 1. My favorite soft synth at the time (Synoptic Probe) ran circles around it, but I got tired of importing audio samples from Probe into NN19, so Subtractor eventually became my main synth. I grew to like it because it was so efficient that I could create synth stacks without worrying about maxing out my CPU. Stacking instruments was a monumental pain in the ass before Combinator came out, but I couldn't do anything like that with other soft synths at the time, and the results were worth the effort.

I switched to Thor and never really looked back after Reason 4. Some people say that they prefer Subtractor's snappier envelopes, but Thor's envelopes feel fine to me, and its oscillators and filters are just plain better. To this day, Thor is usually the first synth that I load up after opening Reason because it strikes such a good balance between flexibility, sound quality, and CPU efficiency.

Complex-1 is becoming my new favorite bass synth. It's also really good at SH101-style leads because it sounds better in the higher registers than Thor or Subtractor. If it was polyphonic, I would probably use it for pads too. The oscillator and filter sections sound incredible, and it's surprisingly light on the CPU. I love running it through Quartet to fatten up its already impressive oscillators.

Reasonable man

20 Oct 2019

Over a year ago i bought fabfilter twin 2 to use as a subtractive synth over subtractor (was cheaper than antidote at that time) In fairness i dont think i will use subtractor again . To me , using it is more a reason thing than a professional thing..it needs too much work with inserts and doubling,trebling up etc. and i can still hear that thin screechiness. Some people like this about it.
Complex is my new fav synth (like most others here ;) but the amp envelope is wholly inaccurate (maybe this is deliberate design/imitation thing) and is probably the cause of any retrigger problem...it's just a very dissapointing envelope all round..almost completley ineffective.

Steedus
Competition Winner

20 Oct 2019

the Wonderbas patch is my go to default bass patch.

Oquasec

20 Oct 2019

The different waveforms that aren't the analog ones actually give a lot of interesting tones too...
Subtractor's only real drawback imo was the preloaded waveforms.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

NostraDAWmus

20 Oct 2019

nothing software is irreplacable,- only hardware is.

P.

moneykube

21 Oct 2019

subtractor is a low cpu use workhorse... very usable then and now... would be nice to change waveforms so I'm still hoping for a version 2 but won't hold my breath... I guy can dream :puf_smile:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

ShelLuser

21 Oct 2019

I don't use it often anymore but I definitely wouldn't want to miss out on it. Modern synths may have a better sound, but just as you said: they're usually also more difficult to set up which is where Subtractor can shine.
--- :reason:

Oquasec

21 Oct 2019

Gets less use cuz of 50 other synths.
But it's quick for dialing in the usual.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

jlgrimes

21 Oct 2019

Subtractor is a very old softsynth but it can sound surprisingly solid in certain applications. It works particularly well for bass, even basic leads, and pads it can do a decent job. It definitely isn't the cleanest sounding synth. It has some of the qualities we used to associate with "bad" digital, aliasing, grainy etc, but that probably adds to some of its character.

• Information