Pre-Installation question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
The FL Studio Ghost

18 Oct 2019

Hey. I just purchased a boxed version of Reason. I have 2 production computers currently (one without a CD drive), and a third is being repaired & will be my main production computer. I need to set up the Internet access on this third machine & may even purchase an Ignition key for it. In the meantime, can I install Reason on one of these 2 very slow computers & go ahead and start enjoying Reason without worrying about there being complications down the road, or can only One single machine have a licensed version installed? Thanks in advance. This has been a very difficult week and would really enjoy kicking back and having fun with this software.

Loque

18 Oct 2019

AFAIK you can authorize only one machine. But you can use Reason on as many computers as you like via online or ignition key. But you can only use one instance at a time.
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

19 Oct 2019

The FL Studio Ghost wrote:
18 Oct 2019
Hey. I just purchased a boxed version of Reason. I have 2 production computers currently (one without a CD drive), and a third is being repaired & will be my main production computer. I need to set up the Internet access on this third machine & may even purchase an Ignition key for it. In the meantime, can I install Reason on one of these 2 very slow computers & go ahead and start enjoying Reason without worrying about there being complications down the road, or can only One single machine have a licensed version installed? Thanks in advance. This has been a very difficult week and would really enjoy kicking back and having fun with this software.
What version did you buy? Pretty sure the boxed version doesn’t come with the Factory Soundbanks or additional content, and that must be installed via Internet download. Could be wrong though. Have you tried installing it?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

The FL Studio Ghost

19 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
19 Oct 2019
The FL Studio Ghost wrote:
18 Oct 2019
What version did you buy? Pretty sure the boxed version doesn’t come with the Factory Soundbanks or additional content, and that must be installed via Internet download. Could be wrong though. Have you tried installing it?
I went ahead and bought the most expensive boxed version of Reason 10 as soon as I could which came with a free upgrade to 11.. which if I'm not mistaken might only be Reason 11 Intro. I'm not sure yet but I'll explain why I bought 10. It did come with sound banks though on the CD but the download installer was online or almost fully online I believe.

I bought 10 is because of the end of ReWire & FL related perks of using it with loopMIDI. I'm really interested in using Reason to mix & a 50% 50% FL+Reason communication & wanna spend the next few years developing specialized techniques involving both DAWs. I wanted to experience the full version of Reason with ReWire and also be able to collab with Reason 10 users. I built a virtual version of Malstrom during the Reason 10 demo in FL Studio's Dashboard plugin. (Well technically it's just a controller). Image

I knew before 11 came out that I needed Reason ASAP.
For me as an FL user & my workflow the benefits were vast. I got pretty hooked right away. Right-click functioning is enabled like native plugins for control linking in Dashboard. Then again propellerhead could also read Fruity SDK and program Reason Rack to respond like FL native plugins like Fab Filter did for Pro-Q 3. Seems like with the direction Reason Studios is going in something like that would be beneficial from a Marketing standpoint.* Via rewire FL's Arpeggiator per device is individualized per dashboard instance whereas I foresaw it being an issue per Reason Rack instance otherwise. Then again I haven't tried Reason 11 yet but found potential perk forfeiture of ReWire being gone to let the opportunity to buy Reason 10 slip away. FL Automation can be convoluted by Reason devices this way & brought back into FL on a separate virtual midi Port.. which in theory could be done over and over kind of like a cyclone of automation. I imagine the same can be done with Reason Rack (probably much easier too).. but still. I got sucked into the demo of version 10 & I wanted 10 too lol. Image-Line is also about to release Fruity Control Voltage controller too so I'm hoping I can use this with Reason some day =D.

Another reason for buying 10 has to do with my unusual workflow habits in FL. I kinda use that program like a modular synthesizer anyways & control VST's with math equations in FL in Formula Controller. I became immediately pulled into desire to do this with Reason instruments using the demo of 10. I took to it right away. What I do in FL is signal engineering with numbers basically, staging automation morphology by hand with mathematics like an animation program. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N428Ep ... =youtu.be (sorry to drop this on here not having anything to do with Reason yet, but it ought to be exciting to see Reason devices being automated like this when I'm not so financially impoverished & have the CPU to record!) I have high functioning autism & this is just how my mind gravitates towards doing things.The results of being able to automate Reason with a programmatic approach like this were just too dramatic to not buy Reason as soon as I could! I'm dying to upgrade to Reason 11 Suite as soon as I can & use Complex-1 to design trigonometry equations specifically for parameters in there when I can afford it. One step at a time though. It'll be fun to share when the time comes 'cause I do a lot of funky stuff just for the novelty of it but also because it sounds different to spend hours and hours in a text program for months and months to make music with. :mrgreen: It's super difficult & not very necessary to make music with but thrilling none-the-less. For now I'm still a Noob in Reason though =P I love FL & always will, but I fell in love with Reason ^_^. Happy to be here and happy to go deep! The two together make a great team & I'm excited to get into both version 10 and 11. I don't mind that I payed a bit extra for version 10.. but It's worth it to me. I love that Propellerhead is based in Sweden too. When I was a teenager here in the USA where I was born and raised, I found one of my favorite songs in the whole world, Vildmarkens Förtrollande Stämmor by Norwegian band Vintersorg. I've decided in the last week that I want to make an electronic version of that song and explore Propellerhead software with a potential instrumental cover fusing that style with Psybass elements :ugeek: .

Thank you guys so much for your replies! I'm so happy to have Reason now :puf_bigsmile: . I'll go ahead and hold off on the install for my offline computer until I can afford hardware keys & get busy tonight. Cheers

• Information