Dr.Octorex..strange behaviour.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
fandabbydozy

15 Oct 2019

Hi there..Has anyone any idea please..
Over the past few weeks I have been having problems with Dr.[Octo]Rex...
OK..I was having,what I thought,were sample issues with DR.R.,,essentially it would start running,running patterns, then suddenly,turn into some growling beast,though it was still possible to hear a rhythm,but it sounded like some monster....it seemed OK with older tracks but new stuff..anyhoo,I got round it bouncing down drum tracks,...blah blah blah..
Yesterday it was still doing it,so whilst I was watching patterns play through[,only Dr.R in the rack,nothing else.],I noticed that the Oscillator Octave control was moving by itself,and flicking round to -4 Octave,which was the same effect I had been hearing..but on altering it back to 0 sorted it..but it was happening randomly..I recorded an automation lane to see if this problem was in a pattern,ie.attaching to particular beat or whatever..but it seemed totally random...I would let it alter on its own,then adjust it back and wait for to happen again,which it did,and this behaviour continued ,even when everything was stopped,ie not running,the knob would continue altering,sometimes I would re-zero it,and it would immediately flip back to -4,or it could be any time....there is no automation linked to this particular control,and I have not,ever adjusted it for any reason..
And all of this just started behaving oddly out of the blue..nothing else seems to be affected.
.Any ideas please..I've also checked as to whether there may be multiple instances of Dr.R. but nothing like that..and there is plenty of free disk space etc..Pc is running an i7 960@3.20GHz,...so processor speed shouldn't be an issue..
Sorry for such a lengthy tale...Mike.

One example of times/position..it played up at...[on one run through]..9-2-1-131....15-3-4-87....36-3-2-97....etc..BTW.I tried setting up an automation lane to hold the octave control at 0,this worked for a few seconds ,then the automation would be ignored,and it would flip back to -4..this would happen in conjunction with automation overide indicator lighting..

selig
RE Developer

15 Oct 2019

Check your controller - it's sending errant data to the device.
Over so many years of working with Reason and reading forums, 100% of the time someone mentions random movement of controls (that are not automated) it comes down to a hardware controller sending data. This is typically because the knob/fader needs to be "exercised" (moved back and forth a few times). Do this to all knobs/faders on your controller and you'll likely not see this issue - at least for while… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

fandabbydozy

15 Oct 2019

Cheers Selig..I'll try your suggestion..Thanks.

• Information