Reason SSL vs Waves/ Others

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Periwinkle

19 Oct 2019

@selig: Can I interest you in buying a slightly soiled wax cylinder recording of Manuel & His Music of the Mountains?

.“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

― Banksy

BradfordMoeller

19 Oct 2019

selig wrote:
19 Oct 2019
Periwinkle wrote:
19 Oct 2019
Who decided that that dusty old piece of obsolescence, rusting away in the corner of the studio was actually the holy grail?
Probably the person who found a use for it. ;)
Don't throw the baby out with the bath water - newer isn't alway better, but neither is older/vintage. There is potential value in all things, as artists we own it to ourselves to find the best ways to express ourselves. I'm one of those "old farts" who would not wait to ditch analog tape. But I also love the sound of saturation and distortion, sometimes from hardware and sometimes from software. Doesn't matter in the end, just pick your toys/tools and get to work making music!
Well said.
:reason:)))

reggie1979

19 Oct 2019

Newer is ALWAYS better. Throw that baby out! :D

selig
RE Developer

20 Oct 2019

Periwinkle wrote:
19 Oct 2019
@selig: Can I interest you in buying a slightly soiled wax cylinder recording of Manuel & His Music of the Mountains?
Either I'm short, or extremely dense because that went totally over my head...maybe just need more coffee this morning!
Selig Audio, LLC

Periwinkle

20 Oct 2019

@selig
I was just thinking about something which was 'retro/vintage' but maybe a bit pants. Don't worry, you're not missing anything - I fed this into the Google Humour Rater, and as it turns out, it's not in the least bit funny.

.“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

― Banksy

reggie1979

20 Oct 2019

Which probably means it's actually funny. Those things are rigged.

selig
RE Developer

21 Oct 2019

Periwinkle wrote:
20 Oct 2019
@selig
I was just thinking about something which was 'retro/vintage' but maybe a bit pants. Don't worry, you're not missing anything - I fed this into the Google Humour Rater, and as it turns out, it's not in the least bit funny.
Indeed I read your post "pre coffee" yesterday morning and didn't make the connection.

Just to add to the thread, I would rather have the main mixer be completely transparent and add "color" on my own, since the other option is to either be locked into a single solution (SSL E emulation, as one example), or if multiple options to have only the options provided by Reason. Reason isn't known for its accurate emulations of classic gear, so I'm not sure I'd want Reason to control this feature anyway.

Ideally it would be fantastic to have every classic and modern console accurately emulated in the mixer with independent control for each channel, with global control to allow quick setups and changes. I'm not talking about EQ/Dynamics, simply the "sound" of the mixer channel being emulated. If EQ/dynamics were also emulated, I'd prefer them to be separate from the rest of the channel, so that for example one could choose a Neve channel with an API EQ and SSL dynamics (as one example). But now we're talking a HUGE overhaul of not only the mixer code but also a major GUI and UX update, and that's unlikely to happen any time soon IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

Djstarski

21 Oct 2019

selig wrote:
21 Oct 2019
Periwinkle wrote:
20 Oct 2019
@selig
Indeed I read your post "pre coffee" yesterday morning and didn't make the connection.

Just to add to the thread, I would rather have the main mixer be completely transparent and add "color" on my own, since the other option is to either be locked into a single solution (SSL E emulation, as one example), or if multiple options to have only the options provided by Reason. Reason isn't known for its accurate emulations of classic gear, so I'm not sure I'd want Reason to control this feature anyway.

Ideally it would be fantastic to have every classic and modern console accurately emulated in the mixer with independent control for each channel, with global control to allow quick setups and changes. I'm not talking about EQ/Dynamics, simply the "sound" of the mixer channel being emulated. If EQ/dynamics were also emulated, I'd prefer them to be separate from the rest of the channel, so that for example one could choose a Neve channel with an API EQ and SSL dynamics (as one example). But now we're talking a HUGE overhaul of not only the mixer code but also a major GUI and UX update, and that's unlikely to happen any time soon IMO.

I feel Reason Studios can create their own character for their channel strips . SSL , Neve and API all sound different . Why doesnt Reason create their own colours . Maybe taking the tube and tape flavours and adding them to the channel strips with a click of a button . This is just an idea .

chaosroyale

21 Oct 2019

100% with Selig that the default Mixer should be completely transparent and "perfect".

For users who want "color", each user will have their own preferred color, and might not even want it on all channels. The option to swap out individual channel strips for a different "character" option (with a little button marked "vintage transformer/tube/opto/whatever"), would be great, but not a high priority compared to all the other problems they need to deal with right now.

I also prefer putting color into my sounds at the individual channel combinator or bus channel combinator level, rather than on the mixer itself. (Partly because -personally- I don't like the SSL channel comp and SSL EQ, so I never touch the main mixer beyond fader automation)

Reason's SSL mixer layout itself is pretty damn good, you can minimize each section, the drag-and-drop to move channels around is pretty smooth, busses work the way they should, the master buss comp is good (if that's the sound you like) etc. I feel like the SSL is not something they need to waste time on at the moment anyway.

Djstarski

21 Oct 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
21 Oct 2019

For users who want "color", each user will have their own preferred color, and might not even want it on all channels..
Adding colour would be an option . Unlike in the past you had the character as part of the sound weather you wanted it or not . At least with this option you can turn it off and on . tube , warm , sat and off = ( clean ) for example .

• Information