a bunch of plug-ins stopped working out of the blue

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ludz

13 Oct 2019

Hello,
I'm new to the forum, although I have been lurking for a while; today I registered hoping someone here could help me with a huge problem I'm having.
I hope I'm posting in the right place, it's a bit of an emergency for me as I'm selling some of my tracks and I am days away from my deadline. I need to send all of the stems of my tracks to my publisher, a couple of those tracks have some elements that I haven't bounced yet and now I don't know how to do that.

I'm using reason 10.4 on an imac running Sierra, never had huge problems except for a few crashes, always cpu-related.
Last week one of my plug-ins stopped working; initially I thought it was a problem with that specific plug-in and I didn't investigate too much as I wasn't really using it at that moment but yesterday I had a bunch of plug-ins that stopped working and some of them are currently fundamental to my work.

All the plugins are original and I haven't updated anything since last time everything was working.
I already tried:
- forcing reason to recheck the plugin library
- erasing the plugins cache
- completely uninstalling, redownloading and reinstalling both Reason and all the plug ins that aren't working

Nothing works, I keep getting the same message: "There were errors when inspecting some plugins. Check plugin status in the Manage Plugins window." (which I did, I tried re-enabling them and restarting reason, it was useless).
I don't understand what happened and I have no clue on how to solve this.

I don't really think it's a problem with the plug-ins since they work well on protools, anyway here they are:
Cytomic's The Glue, Madrona Labs' Aalto and Kaivo, Klanghelm's MJUC, AudioThing's Filterjam, FogConvolver and Megaphone, Digital Suburban's Dexed, SoundGuru's The Mangle and SonarWorks' Reference (the first 4 being the one that are actually necessary).

Anyone else had similar problems? Of course I already contacted Propellerheads about this and I'm waiting for their answer but I'm getting a bit anxious about this!
Thanks anyway if you read till here!

kodetwo

14 Oct 2019

Hey I replied to your reddit post & saw you posted here.. strangely i cant seem to find anyone else that has reported this issue or any other clues as to why it happened.. im also keen to get some plugins, mainly all the D16 group & Ozone 7 working as they are part of an ongoing project.

ShelLuser

14 Oct 2019

First of all welcome to the forums, just a shame it has to be due to such nasty problems.
ludz wrote:
13 Oct 2019
I'm using reason 10.4 on an imac running Sierra, never had huge problems except for a few crashes, always cpu-related.
Last week one of my plug-ins stopped working; initially I thought it was a problem with that specific plug-in and I didn't investigate too much as I wasn't really using it at that moment but yesterday I had a bunch of plug-ins that stopped working and some of them are currently fundamental to my work.

All the plugins are original and I haven't updated anything since last time everything was working.
I already tried:
- forcing reason to recheck the plugin library
- erasing the plugins cache
- completely uninstalling, redownloading and reinstalling both Reason and all the plug ins that aren't working

Nothing works, I keep getting the same message: "There were errors when inspecting some plugins. Check plugin status in the Manage Plugins window." (which I did, I tried re-enabling them and restarting reason, it was useless).
I don't understand what happened and I have no clue on how to solve this.
Reinstalling is usually a wasted effort because it doesn't reset anything. See, your problems are usually related to your settings and/or preferences which are nearly always left alone when you deinstal something.

Now, I'm not familiar with a Mac, but I know that Reason stores all of its data in your home directory somewhere. On Windows this is in %appdata%\Propellerhead Software\Reason. My suggestion would be to try and find that directory, then rename it into something else (make sure Reason isn't running when you do this!). For example into "Reason.bck".

Then start Reason again, it will start as if it was never used before, so you may need to authenticate yourself again. Then check what happens, if the plugins suddenly work again.
Last edited by ShelLuser on 14 Oct 2019, edited 1 time in total.
--- :reason:

Periwinkle

14 Oct 2019

If it’s any help, I’m running Reason 11 on an iMac and Cytomic The Glue and Klanghelm MJUC seem to be working fine. Is it possible that your Mac auto updated to Catalina by mistake?

.“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

― Banksy

ludz

14 Oct 2019

Thanks a lot for the quick answers!
ShelLuser wrote:
14 Oct 2019
First of all welcome to the forums, just a shame it has to be due to such nasty problems.

Reinstalling is usually a wasted effort because it doesn't reset anything. See, your problems are usually related to your settings and/or preferences which are nearly always left alone when you deinstal something.

Now, I'm not familiar with a Mac, but I know that Reason stores all of its data in your home directory somewhere. On Windows this is in %appdata%\Propellerhead Software\Reason. My suggestion would be to try and find that directory, then rename it into something else (make sure Reason isn't running when you do this!). For example into "Reason.bck".

Then start Reason again, it will start as if it was never used before, so you may need to authenticate yourself again. Then check what happens, if the plugins suddenly work again.
So if I understand what you're suggesting I think I already did it. On mac we have "User > Library > Application Support > Propellerhead Software > Reason" and that folder contains the plugins cache and preferences of the software.
I deleted the plugin cache several times to force rescanning the plugins folder but it was always useless. Now I just tried renaming the all folder like you suggested and it did the same exact thing that it does when I'm simply deleting "__PluginDatabase.dat": it rescans everything, and then it gives me the error message.
On top of all of this, whenever I'm rescanning the plugins, if I don't put iZotope Ozone 7.vst out of the plugins folder first, Reason's going to freeze once it gets to it. Which is another oddity since that plugin works on every other daw I have installed and never caused problems up untill a couple days ago.
It wouldn't be a biggie per se since I never use the all thing inside a DAW, only standalone, but this is yet another new unexpected behaviour, especially considering every single Ozone's module actually works with no problem!
Periwinkle wrote:
14 Oct 2019
If it’s any help, I’m running Reason 11 on an iMac and Cytomic The Glue and Klanghelm MJUC seem to be working fine. Is it possible that your Mac auto updated to Catalina by mistake?
I also am pretty sure it is not a problem with the vst's since they still work fine in protools and on every other DAW on my computer.
I didn't really update anything on my system and yes, I'm very sure my mac didn't update to Catalina, I'm still on Sierra - not even High Sierra, not even Mojave - I'm very wary when it comes to system updates, I usually just avoid them as long as possible.

ludz

14 Oct 2019

kodetwo wrote:
14 Oct 2019
Hey I replied to your reddit post & saw you posted here.. strangely i cant seem to find anyone else that has reported this issue or any other clues as to why it happened.. im also keen to get some plugins, mainly all the D16 group & Ozone 7 working as they are part of an ongoing project.
Hey, just noticed this answer now, I'm stille waiting on an answer from Propellerhead but I'll definetily keep both the topics posted.
You were suggesting it might be related to a security update, I'm not sure since it seems to me as this problem happened a few days after my last security update (if not a week), and what makes it stranger is the fact that it didn't start this way, for a good 4-5 days I only had problems with The Glue.

Anyhow I was about to try to reset my computer to an old backup when I discovered that I don't have any time machine backup previous to yesterday. This just keeps getting better!

ludz

14 Oct 2019

So...apparently I solved it. I'm still not sure of what happened exactly but I guessed it had something to do with the system, so I reinstalled the OS, actually I upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra (my laptop is running high sierra and I still had the installation file), now everything is back to normal.

I think this might have had something to do with me deciding to give a try to "CleanMyMac" (I know, I know! But some friends have been using it with no problems, so I figured I might give it a try. Anyway, I uninstalled it for good and went back to only trust Onyx).
So yeah...I guess that could have messed something up...although, if that is the case, it is still weird how the only problem I had was with Reason...Logic, Protools, Audacity, and any other software I had installed were still working fine.

I hope this will be useful to whoever encounters a similar issue. Thanks for the inputs!

• Information