Upgradability Scoring - Is it worth it to me?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pushedbutton

11 Oct 2019

Firstly, Reason 11 Suite is Awesome, I've got it at work and I love playing with it, it's got some great features and I'm happy to have it. I've had a few hours to play with it and compare its features with Reason 8 (which we have just replaced at work) and Reason 10 (which I have had since the offer of a free drum sequencer.)
If you're coming from Reason 8 it's a no-brainer, it's time to upgrade.
Now that's out of the way, here's my thought process behind making a decision about upgrading my home setup coming from Reason 10.
This is my opinion, you might have your own priorities and circumstances.

*Quartet Chorus Ensemble (Not my style)
*Sweeper Modulation Effect (Not sold on this one)
*Master Bus Compressor (from the SSL Mixer implemented in Reason 6)
*Channel Dynamics (from the SSL Mixer implemented in Reason 6)
*Channel EQ (from the SSL Mixer implemented in Reason 6)

*Curved Automation (Used to not having it - Worked Around)
*Audio Clips Crossfade (Used to not having it - Worked Around)
+Improved and individual vertical zoom (Nice)
*Mute Midi Notes (Used to not having it - Worked Around)
*Draw Multiple Notes (why tho?)
*Show played and selected notes in key edit (Used to not having it - nice for beginners)

And in the Suite Edition...

*+Scenic Hybrid Instrument (Maybe when we can load our own samples)
?Complex-1 Modular Synth (not had time to try it)
?Umpf Club Drums (not had the inclination to try it)
?Umpf Retro Beats (had a quick try, still on the fence)
*Reason Electric Bass (recycled refill I already own)
*Reason Drum Kits (recycled refill I already own)
*Processed Pianos (tried it, I'll process my own pianos thanks)
+Layers Wave Edition (This is nice)
+Layers (This is nice)
+Parsec Spectral Synthesizer (I like synths)
*Radical Keys (tried it, seems a bit meh)
+Polar Dual Pitch Shifter (it's old but I don't have it, BOTD that it's good)
*Rotor Rotary Speaker (Why tho?)
+PolyStep Sequencer (it's ok, i guess.)
*Quad Note Generator (tried it, seems more annoying than I'd hoped)
*Drum Sequencer (Free when upgraded to version 10)

My Upgradability Score for Reason 11 Suite
06 (+) for
17 (*) against
1 (*+) conditional
03 (?) maybe
So after a little research, optimistically I could be looking at 10 for V's 17 against. It's not looking great.

My Upgradability Score for Reason 11 Standard

01 (+) for
10 (*) against

Every time a new version of Reason comes out I buy it, but this time I'm just not seeing the benefit. It's a no from me Simon, not at theses prices.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

zoidkirb

11 Oct 2019

Tldr: reason 11 suite is awesome with great features but also not worth buying.

guitfnky

11 Oct 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
11 Oct 2019
that’s nothing new. the newest flagship Lexus is probably awesome, with great features, and for most, also not worth buying.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

raymondh

11 Oct 2019

I am looking for a reason to upgrade (from 10) because I like staying current, but there isn't much there for me as a standalone Reason user.
Especially when paying in NZD!

Hopefully there will be a point release with some cool new features.

I do think it's a smart move from Reason Studios as a way to expand their reach, but it's certainly a release for new users (or 'catch up' users on old versions as you say) than existing Reason 10 users.

pushedbutton

12 Oct 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
11 Oct 2019
A little too short and sweet to get my point across but if that's what you take away from it fine. I assume you're also a reason 10 user. I think this time, if the objective was to expand the user base, then more should have been done to keep loyal users loyal, if not with features then with pricing.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.

artotaku

12 Oct 2019

I´m in the same boat. I haven´t upgraded either (I´m on R10). I can afford the upgrade financially but there is just not that much that convinces me needing it.

While I think providing the rack as a VST to other DAW users (former Reason users) makes sense to bring these users back to Reason and increase the user base the next versions should win us core users back to upgrading Reason.

And this can be done not only with updates to the sequencer but also for the benefit of both "worlds" (standalone and VST plugin) by adding something cool to the rack (maybe a combinator 2, a combinator SDK or higher graphics resolution).

zoidkirb

12 Oct 2019

pushedbutton wrote:
12 Oct 2019
zoidkirb wrote:
11 Oct 2019
A little too short and sweet to get my point across but if that's what you take away from it fine. I assume you're also a reason 10 user. I think this time, if the objective was to expand the user base, then more should have been done to keep loyal users loyal, if not with features then with pricing.
Pretty much. Yes I started on 10 and from the start had always planned to skip every second version as that's what the pricing scheme encourages. Having said that I also expected I might buy r11 if it met or exceeded certain personal expectations but that wasn't the case. For now at least anyway.

gullum

12 Oct 2019

Being able to start a project at work and take it home to continue or the other way around You can open songs from 10 in 11 but not 11 in 10

VariableX

12 Oct 2019

Still on 10, no value in 11 for me. Hopefully when they run there BI reports and they see that the largest group of non 11 users is the 10 users they might throw us a bone 😜

pushedbutton

13 Oct 2019

gullum wrote:
12 Oct 2019
Being able to start a project at work and take it home to continue or the other way around You can open songs from 10 in 11 but not 11 in 10
This is actually the one thing that might make me upgrade under duress. Maybe the midseason patch will convince me as it did last time.
To be fair though, if this is the reason it shouldn't be cos I'm told not to take work home. Having said that, now at least I can work on templates from projects at home and take them work. Having 10 while we were stuck on 8 at work sucked.

ShelLuser

14 Oct 2019

Well, there might be a good reason to still consider the Suite upgrade, even if you don't enjoy or plan on using Reason 11 and wish to stick to 10. Because rack extensions don't seem to be restricted to version 11, not yet anyway. So if you get access to all the rack extensions individually (meaning: you get to see a whole list of RE's in the list of rack extensions) then it should be easily possible to use those in Reason 10 as well.

I don't know how the Suite version distributes the Rack extensions, but I'm fully sure that this will work. I've been here: I wanted to check out Scenic so I tested it in Reason 10, even though it was basically released for Reason 11. That's why I know that this can work.
--- :reason:

mcatalao
Competition Winner

14 Oct 2019

Going to add my comments to your comments to show you some stuff might be a little different. I'll try to be direct:

*Quartet Chorus Ensemble (Not my style) MC: ok... nothing to say
*Sweeper Modulation Effect (Not sold on this one) MC: I've tried this one and it does quite fun stuff to the sounds

*Curved Automation (Used to not having it - Worked Around) MC: More useful than you can imagine specially if you compose more natural stuff. Hint: I have 3 BCF2000 and a BCR2000 and at the composing stage this is wonderful... Don't use it to automate faders and stuff, but expression of instruments, it's great.

*Audio Clips Crossfade (Used to not having it - Worked Around)
+Improved and individual vertical zoom (Nice) MC: yep,agree. Specially for audio.
*Mute Midi Notes (Used to not having it - Worked Around): This is strangely more useful than i thought. Muted notes don't get lost if you want to go back, and cuts were crappy for smaller parts. So it is nice from the midi composing part.
*Draw Multiple Notes (why tho?) MC: YEah, i mostly sequence with a piano so this is kinda worthless for me too.
*Show played and selected notes in key edit (Used to not having it - nice for beginners) MC: Nah this is useful.

As for the instruments i think the decision is more personal, but let me reply to some of your comments:

*+Scenic Hybrid Instrument (Maybe when we can load our own samples)
?Complex-1 Modular Synth (not had time to try it) MC: You have to. I liked this one! Exquisite stuff, never imagined you could get such sounds from a monophonic device.
?Umpf Club Drums (not had the inclination to try it)
?Umpf Retro Beats (had a quick try, still on the fence) MC: You can pass by the Club drums, but IMHO Retro Beats is great.
*Reason Electric Bass (recycled refill I already own) MC: For a part yes, but the added effect chains are really great. On top of the refill you have a chain and you can re-amp. Creating great sounding Basses is quite fast with this.

*Reason Drum Kits (recycled refill I already own) - MC: If what i said was true for the bass, for Drum kits, is even more blatant. The way the kits are now processed is AMAZING. They sound punchier, snappier, and even the snares that were IMHO the culprit of Reason Drums, are better than in the original refill.

*Processed Pianos (tried it, I'll process my own pianos thanks) MC: Agreed. You can add layers of stuff on top of Reason Pianos and they will sound great. IMHO this is one of the cases that transforming the refill into a RE didn't add much. It still sounds better than Radical Piano though...

+Layers Wave Edition (This is nice)
+Layers (This is nice) MC: They are both great. I think my favorite is the Wave Edition
+Parsec Spectral Synthesizer (I like synths) MC: I really like it, though i've used it less than i expected.

*Radical Keys (tried it, seems a bit meh) MC: IMHO, depends entirely if you do stuff that benefit from it. Like soul or pop or disco stuff. A lot of genres benefit from the instruments on this one, but their mellow nature is not for the more harsher styles.

+Polar Dual Pitch Shifter (it's old but I don't have it, BOTD that it's good)
*Rotor Rotary Speaker (Why tho?)

+PolyStep Sequencer (it's ok, i guess.)
*Quad Note Generator (tried it, seems more annoying than I'd hoped)
*Drum Sequencer (Free when upgraded to version 10)

Anyway... I don't know if you score upgradability like that so think like this:
If you disagree completely with me and don't value the upgrades to reason, consider it a 0, because you won't be paying for that (the price is already there and now what you must thin is if the devices you value in the suite are worth the 250 eur).

To be the most objective about the suite, I'd remove what i already have and what i don't value, look at the devices and sum the value of what they usually cost on sales, plus the GAS effect (the "i need this stuff right now though i never thought i would ever use such thing but its so beautiful and shinny").

For example, you can usually get Parsec on sales for 60 eur. And most of the other synths are around that value on a big sale. So maybe you need about 5 devices for the Suite to be worth buying. It seems to me that if you make the plunge on Complex (its an exquisite crazy device) and one of the Umpfs, you're around 6 or 7 devices, right?

Oh and you have never talked about the plugin. Do you have plans to use the plugin? Because if you do have, then the math comes down to 2 or 3 devices on the suite side because of the difference to the upgrade.

• Information