Preferences keeps getting deleted

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Palmeira

11 Oct 2019

Hi all, anyone else getting an issue where on starting Reason it's like it's a fresh install - caused by Reason 10 Preferences.prf not being present in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\Reason\

Probably had this 10 times or more on sporadic occasions and I now keep backups of that file but I'd still like to know why it happens?

Thanks

Aiden

ShelLuser

14 Oct 2019

It has to be caused by something local on your end because I've never had this happening to me so far, and I've been using Reason 10 for at least a month now.

Do you always make sure to cleanly shut down Reason (and other software)? The only theory I can come up with is that the software doesn't get a clean shutdown, leaves some open files which are then deemed corrupt when you start Reason for the next time. Also... when I looked into that folder I noticed it has 3 preference files: "Reason Preferences.prf" together with "Reason 10 Preferences.prf" and "Reason 11 Preferences.prf". Which makes me wonder if the software doesn't already provide a backup copy on its own.
--- :reason:

Palmeira

16 Oct 2019

Thanks ShelLuser, I think it could probably be related to a crash and as I've just had one I'll try rebooting and see what happens....

Palmeira

16 Oct 2019

And no it's fine! Probably a specific kind of ReCrash then!

I've got backups and I know what the issue is now so it's not the end of the world. Sigh.

Cheers

Aiden

ShelLuser

17 Oct 2019

Palmeira wrote:
16 Oct 2019
And no it's fine! Probably a specific kind of ReCrash then!

I've got backups and I know what the issue is now so it's not the end of the world. Sigh.
Blech... I know how dissatisfying situations like those can be :/

SO... If you have a few hours to space you could always schedule a diskcheck just to make sure. Open your file explorer, right click on the C drive and then select "Properties". In the 'Extra' tab you should be able to find an option to check for errors. Because C is your system drive this cannot be done on the fly and it will be scheduled to run during the next reboot. So my suggestion would be to schedule this before nighttime, reboot and see what happened in the morning. Don't worry: it won't automagically repair stuff when the issues are problematic, then you'll need to confirm.

It would most definitely rule out the possibility of dying hardware.
--- :reason:

WillyOD

17 Oct 2019

Do you have different versions of Reason installed and are you using at least two of them (Reason 7-10?) Other than that can't think of why this would be happening...
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

• Information