ID8 bug in R11? (solved)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Oberlai

11 Oct 2019

Now, I don't use this device a lot, but quite a few spawned when i imported an old midi file. Then I noticed that not only are there extreme volume differences between presets, but some of the sounds are just completely inaudible. It wasn't like this the one time i tried ID8 a couple of years ago.

Does anybody have the opportunity to try ID8 in R11? It should be very very quicky and easy to test it, just open an ID8 a play a few different presets. Thank you for any help.
Last edited by Oberlai on 11 Oct 2019, edited 1 time in total.

chimp_spanner

11 Oct 2019

Oberlai wrote:
11 Oct 2019
Now, I don't use this device a lot, but quite a few spawned when i imported an old midi file. Then I noticed that not only are there extreme volume differences between presets, but some of the sounds are just completely inaudible. It wasn't like this the one time i tried ID8 a couple of years ago.

Does anybody have the opportunity to try ID8 in R11? It should be very very quicky and easy to test it, just open an ID8 a play a few different presets. Thank you for any help.
Just tried it out - seems fine here? Can you give us an example of two patches that have an extreme contrast in volume?

Oberlai

11 Oct 2019

Try Bass ---- Finger, Pick and Upright are VERY low, while Synth is normal. In Piano, Grand and Upright gives no sound at all, the other 2 are low. The differences in volume are extremely huge, we're not talking 10% here :) more like from 0-5% to 100%.
Last edited by Oberlai on 11 Oct 2019, edited 1 time in total.

chimp_spanner

11 Oct 2019

Oberlai wrote:
11 Oct 2019
Try Bass ---- Finger, Pick and Upright are very low, while Synth is normal. In Piano, Grand and Upright gives no sound at all, the other 2 are low.
Nah all normal here. Re-install, is the only advice I can give!

selig
RE Developer

11 Oct 2019

Is your keyboard set to a fixed velocity by any chance? If you send a very low velocity to the sounds you mention, they will indeed be super low in level.
For example, the synth bass has no velocity sensitivity while the other three are fairly sensitive. Sending a velocity to 32 to all four bass sounds indeed produces the results you describe.
Same for the pianos, with Grand and Upright being VARY sensitive and Dance and Vibes being less sensitive.
A velocity of single digits would exaggerate what you're describing to the point you would not hear the Graind/Upright pianos at all while Dance and Vibes would still be heard but would play fairly softly.

Check your velocity levels - confirm by recording into the sequencer!
Selig Audio, LLC

Oberlai

11 Oct 2019

Thanks for your answer Selig, and you are quite right! I was using my computer keyboard to play (F4), and that had velocity set to 1, which would be default because I haven't been fiddling with that. Anyway, when I set it to max (127) the sounds came back up. All good, many many thanks for your help! I would never have figured that one out myself..

chimp_spanner

11 Oct 2019

Nice catch Selig! Sure beats redownloading and installing the whole thing again haha. Awesome.

• Information