what causes audio files to take longer than normal to load into Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
PhillipOrdonez

08 Oct 2019

Hei guys!

I wonder why sometimes loading long audio files takes much longer than others times. Files were loading normally today, and suddenly a file that took 2 minutes to load, now takes 10+ minutes. (These are long, nearly 1 hour long audio files).

Any ideas what's falling in my system?

splitpen

08 Oct 2019

Sometimes i have the same problem when the button auto play is on in the browser. If this doesn't solve it, you could try empty the scratch reason disk folder/ temp folder or check you harddisk space.
Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjzYHe3D8f8
Reasonstudios 11 Roland Quadcapture | AMD Ryzen 5900x|Elektron Analog Heat Mk2|Diy 3 way SB Acoustics/Scanspeak studiomonitors | AKG K702 | Key­sta­tion 61 MK3 |BCR2000 |X-Touch Ext | MP Midi

pushedbutton

08 Oct 2019

yeah it's probably something to do with the scratch disc, sometimes it's full of other stuff. If you've not opened a track in a while it'll have to be reimported or something, I'm not an expert.
Generally it's a good idea to have your scratch disc on a seperate drive to your main OS drive but it's not essential.
I've worked with huge files and they can be pretty snappy while I'm working on it all the time but coming back to it a few months later takes a while to get up to speed again.
So in short, a generous, fast scratch disc should improve performance but the problem you have will probably not be a problem the next time you load the file.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

PhillipOrdonez

08 Oct 2019

pushedbutton wrote:
08 Oct 2019
yeah it's probably something to do with the scratch disc, sometimes it's full of other stuff. If you've not opened a track in a while it'll have to be reimported or something, I'm not an expert.
Generally it's a good idea to have your scratch disc on a seperate drive to your main OS drive but it's not essential.
I've worked with huge files and they can be pretty snappy while I'm working on it all the time but coming back to it a few months later takes a while to get up to speed again.
So in short, a generous, fast scratch disc should improve performance but the problem you have will probably not be a problem the next time you load the file.
Thanks guys!

The thing is these files are to be imported and rendered and deleted, never to be opened again within the same project. So it is strange that some files load quickly, while others don't, and it seems at random. All files have approximately the same length and size.

How can I speed the process back up when it gets super slow?

moneykube

08 Oct 2019

perhaps clean up scratch disk?
viewtopic.php?t=7505308
a guess
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

• Information