Reason now the eurorack of software?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
DJMaytag

18 Sep 2021

Jagwah wrote:
17 Sep 2021
the new Combinator only had a few CV ins when it could have EASILY had 64 inputs and even a bunch of outputs because why not unless there is some motive there, plus when was the last time they talked about how cool CV is in any of their videos / blogs?
They did add extra CV inputs, so that's something. If they didn't care about CV, they wouldn't have done that.

IF YOU WANT MORE CV and/or AUDIO INPUTS, SEND REASONSTUDIOS REQUESTS FOR IT!!!

Jagwah

18 Sep 2021

DJMaytag wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Jagwah wrote:
17 Sep 2021
the new Combinator only had a few CV ins when it could have EASILY had 64 inputs and even a bunch of outputs because why not unless there is some motive there, plus when was the last time they talked about how cool CV is in any of their videos / blogs?
They did add extra CV inputs, so that's something. If they didn't care about CV, they wouldn't have done that.

IF YOU WANT MORE CV and/or AUDIO INPUTS, SEND REASONSTUDIOS REQUESTS FOR IT!!!
No, they added hardly any when they could have / should have added a ton of them. :thumbs_down:

Jagwah

18 Sep 2021

DJMaytag wrote:
17 Sep 2021
Good times this past weekend!
I replied and said that's really cool and you do some really cool work but it was on my phone on the train while rushing to get home to have some free time and just noticed it did not come through for some reason, I may have fumbled it. I am lucky to have the synth meet I have in my city and quite envious of yours and also the work you do, very cool! :thumbup:

AttenuationHz

18 Sep 2021

Jagwah wrote:
17 Sep 2021
AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Sep 2021
However if Reason completely opens up the back of the rack and allows all devices to be coupled to the back and add more CV options as well as the option to connect Audio and CV it would compete with all of the above, a combinator comes close to the experience but it fundamentally lacks what the others offer because of limitations to connections. There are devices with lots of CV on the back but in recent times CV connections have be sliding and slipping away because the vast majority of users simply do not know how to utilise it fully.
Not only that but RS seem to have been sadly phasing CV out over the past years. They have added nothing CV related, only third parties have and have done tremendous things there, the Players - no CV no where (yes Reason is incapable of polyphonic CV but the sentiment remains), the new Combinator only had a few CV ins when it could have EASILY had 64 inputs and even a bunch of outputs because why not unless there is some motive there, plus when was the last time they talked about how cool CV is in any of their videos / blogs?

I wish CV in Reason was embraced and encouraged especially by RS instead of sitting up the back collecting virtual dust. I can only assume kids see too much complication when they look at something like that, ipso facto, no CV from RS.
Polyphony for CV would be quite easy to accomplish in the code I believe (might not be a need for it in audio though would be extremely useful also). Look at VCV Rack and what it does with polyphon'ising :? a single cable, it can be somewhat of hog though depending on how many channels you use and how well optimised a VCV Rack module is. Connecting more than one out to a single input would be the obvious good improvement for CV in Reason, mergers and splitters make for more work to do but would not be made obsolete if polyphony was added to CV you would still need and use them. To accomplish polyphony you need to use more than one of the device its the old school way and a long overdue fix for a workaround. Imaging just using a single Subtractor or Europa to achieve polyphony for a Matrix with polyphony channels (also fairly easy to accomplish just stored banks of control settings) individual phase for each step on a Matrix would be an amazing improvement also. Cabling in reason could use some loving too though - so slow to connect with cables in hand/mouse. Context menu helps but just takes all the fun away from routing, even if it scrolled faster it would be a huge improvement.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

illlumen

19 Sep 2021

Carpainter wrote:
06 Oct 2019
buddard wrote:
06 Oct 2019
I would argue that VCV Rack is the closest thing we have to Eurorack in software. And around 2.0 they will release a VST plugin version!
Yeah, VCV Rack is essentially a Eurorack emulator, but Reason is the closest you can get to a modular hardware setup in DAW form. No other DAW developer has felt the need to emulate the look and feel of a modular hardware interface. Instead, they all seem content to make DAWs that mostly look and feel like computer programs rather than environments to create music.
Have you had a look at Bitwig? To me it feels even more like a virtual modular Powerstation. Much more flexible than Reason and even more user friendly than my Eurorack setup. Still loving both, though.

Mataya

19 Sep 2021

Modular it is. Euruorack, not really. For me it's the closest thing you can have to a simulation of a real early 90's studio some of us had back then.

M

sdst
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2021

the combinator is the best thing that Reason has

I hope they understand it and continue with each realization improving it

that people can do powerful RE

Carpainter

19 Sep 2021

illlumen wrote:
19 Sep 2021
Have you had a look at Bitwig? To me it feels even more like a virtual modular Powerstation. Much more flexible than Reason and even more user friendly than my Eurorack setup. Still loving both, though.
Bitwig, to me, is the DAW version of Buzztracker. It's a sequencer with a modular environment attached. It's kinda like what would happen if Live and Reaktor had a baby. It still looks and feels very much like software, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm a Max user, after all.

What keeps me coming back to the Rack is the fact that, despite its limitations, Propellerhead took great care in making it look and feel like hardware. For me, it scratches an itch that no other DAW scratches. I've gone years without upgrading Reason because they haven't done nearly as good of a job maintaining it as they did creating it, but I've always used it regularly.

illlumen

22 Sep 2021

Carpainter wrote:
19 Sep 2021
illlumen wrote:
19 Sep 2021
Bitwig, to me, is the DAW version of Buzztracker. It's a sequencer with a modular environment attached. It's kinda like what would happen if Live and Reaktor had a baby. It still looks and feels very much like software, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm a Max user, after all.

What keeps me coming back to the Rack is the fact that, despite its limitations, Propellerhead took great care in making it look and feel like hardware. For me, it scratches an itch that no other DAW scratches. I've gone years without upgrading Reason because they haven't done nearly as good of a job maintaining it as they did creating it, but I've always used it regularly.
I get what you want to say. What I wanted to say was that Bitwig offers something in its workflow (and in the way it is designed) that reminds me a lot of my Eurorack system. I am not into skeuomorphism, so I am willing to sacrifice the looks for a good and fast workflow. But let's talk about aesthetics here. I still love Reason, too. And I am making use of its CV options on the backside of the rack on a daily basis. Though, I am quite happy with version 10. Still waiting for some improvements that really justify spending more money on it.

• Information