Deleting old installation and sound banks

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
SpeculationStudios

05 Oct 2019

I've installed Reason 11 suite, updated from 10.4
Everything is running smoothly.
I had assumed the new install would overwrite or replace my 10.4 files, but that is not entirely the case and want to get rid of 10.4 and duplicate soundbanks (other files?) to free up a few gigabytes.
Question: Is it "safe" to uninstall Reason 10? I don't want to lose things like song files I created with Reason 10. I assume its safe, but wanted to make sure b/c if I were wrong it would be a disaster. Also I noticed I seem to have some duplicate sound banks (Orkester and Factory Sound Bank files). The new ones look *almost* identical to the older ones as far as file size goes, but slightly different. Will I be losing anything if I delete the older Sound Banks?

Thank you for any help.

DrGOA®

06 Oct 2019

First make backup of your song projects (just in case something goes wrong)!
Then you can uninstall Reason 10.4.
New sounbanks replaced old ones (as new version of Reason can open older songs).

SpeculationStudios

06 Oct 2019

Thanks. I figured as much, but was anxious about it.

ShelLuser

06 Oct 2019

Correction: new sound banks do not upgrade the old ones, you should definitely look into this yourself because otherwise you're wasting an easy 2Gb worth of data. And it makes sense that they don't because Reason 10 uses a different soundbank than Reason 11. Unfortunately the installer (the one for Reason 11 anyway) has no problems leaving all that data behind during a de-installation.

So check: C:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Soundbanks

My guess is that you'll find both a Reason 10 and Reason 11 folder in there and both containing soundbanks. If you removed 10 completely then it will be safe to manually remove the 'reason 10' folder.
--- :reason:

• Information