Reason New Features & 11.1 Speculation

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

03 Oct 2019

Hi All!

So we have Reason 11 and a small handful of workflow enhancements very welcomed by me but...

I hate to say this, still not fully implemented to their fullest.

The octave shift in the midi editor, for me should've included moving the note/s back to the beginning of the clip you're in. So essentially another shortcut but I'd group them both together. I often play something in and with me not being a pianist I will often play the chord sequence in three times, getting closer to what I was going for each time. Usually the third attempt is closest. So I delete the first 2, then ctrl a to select the remaining third attempt, ctrl k to quantize and I would love to be able to ctrl alt back arrow to automatically shift the notes back to the beginning of a clip. Ctrl back arrow is already a shortcut (grid division movement) and ctrl shift arrows are move back or forth a slightly larger amount, if it's 1.1.1.1, it will be 1.2.1.1) etc.

The Show Played and Selected Notes missed 2 things off too. The note displayed on the note (F# Bb etc) and no shading across the midi editor. So I can't easily find which key on my midi controller the note is in the midi editor by following a shading up / down the midi editor. 8 have to look back and forth. More time consuming and strain on the eyes.

The mute midi notes doesn't include scrolling to quickly scroll mute a row of notes. They can do it, you can scroll across the steps on ReDrum to select them so do-able. Should've also extended the scroll muting to work on midi and audio clips in the sequencer.

Crossfading of audio clips - I watched a Reason 11 video earlier, and on Ableton the guy points out you can also move up and down with the audio crossgrade point and it seemed a lot better. You could basically do a circular 360 motion with it. Reason's incorporation of this feature is limited.

Curved Automation. Great addition but again some things missed out. They should've just finished the automation off. For me that would include paste In-able or selectable shapes, quantizeable automation and they should've also added a show / hide automation lane shortcut (maybe also with an icon at the top of the sequencer.) They should've also added curves to the audio fade in/outs (to makes things more consistant throughout) along with the ability to have multiple points on the fades and again, quantizeable.

I often wonder why Propellerhead / Reason Studios leave things out, why is that d'you reckon?

So will these things be fixed in Reason 11 I wonder? I fear not to be honest but you never know. I think if these things weren't thought of to begin with then they don't feel they were necessary in the first place.

We also know an AU version of the Reason Rack Plug-In is coming (here's hoping it happens before Christmas, we have 10 weeks) and I have my fingers crossed the additions / improvements to the new workflow features will have also been sorted in that update.

Thanks!
Last edited by Creativemind on 03 Oct 2019, edited 4 times in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

esselfortium

03 Oct 2019

It's not the same as the implementation you're asking for, but just in case you've missed it, you can mute or unmute a bunch of notes at once by selecting them and pressing M.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Boombastix
Competition Winner

03 Oct 2019

Creativemind wrote:
03 Oct 2019
Curved Automation. Great addition but again some things missed out. They should've just finished the automation off. For me that would include Paste In-able or selectable shapes, quantizeable automation and they should've also added a show / hide automation lane shortcut (maybe also with an icon at the top of the sequencer.) They should've also added curves to the audio fade in/outs along with the ability to have multiple points on the faded and again, quantizeable.
They also did not do skew of automation curve. Let's say you you have a tool to draw in a saw automation. Then you skew it so it ramps up in intensity. Having selectable shapes with this would have been killer. Also save automation clip to library, so when you have made a killer automation, you can save it for future use.

I think they do not get it right because nobody actually use it for the anything more than tinkering - and they do not sit down with pro users who show them how things are done. Get that feeling again when somebody is trying to sell you a car with a wheel missing...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Philup

03 Oct 2019

Are they:
Smart and evil?
Dumb and short sighted?
Understaffed and overworked?

Regardless of the answer they seem to have been playing "feature whack-a-mole" ever since audio recording was added.
Pro-active has always been their wheelhouse.
Reactive, not so much.

Creativemind

03 Oct 2019

esselfortium wrote:
03 Oct 2019
It's not the same as the implementation you're asking for, but just in case you've missed it, you can mute or unmute a bunch of notes at once by selecting them and pressing M.
I knew that but you still have to select them. Scrolling would've been more slick/ better.

Creativemind

03 Oct 2019

Boombastix wrote:
03 Oct 2019
Creativemind wrote:
03 Oct 2019
Curved Automation. Great addition but again some things missed out. They should've just finished the automation off. For me that would include Paste In-able or selectable shapes, quantizeable automation and they should've also added a show / hide automation lane shortcut (maybe also with an icon at the top of the sequencer.) They should've also added curves to the audio fade in/outs along with the ability to have multiple points on the faded and again, quantizeable.
They also did not do skew of automation curve. Let's say you you have a tool to draw in a saw automation. Then you skew it so it ramps up in intensity. Having selectable shapes with this would have been killer. Also save automation clip to library, so when you have made a killer automation, you can save it for future use.
Yes to both of those also. Would've been fantastic. Any vids you know of showing this?Would love to see that in action.

I also get the feeling they just don't think outside the box or just stay within the confines of their company and don't get outside input or ask other people outside of their company for advice or input. Always seems the most basic limited implementation time after time after time but the potential for Reason to be the leading daw is there.

Something else just occurred to me about the Reason Rack VST. It comes with a browser the same as Reason Standalone and there are 3 things missing from the browser too:- better searching with branches / tags etc, a refresh button when you're in a folder (so if you add samples to a folder you're already in you can click a quick refresh button (even a keyboard shortcut) and it refreshes the folder with a bonus of whatever's new showing up in a different colour to find quickly) and a waveform display with brackets around the waveform and tempo-sync. So it leads me to believe that if these were gonna be implemented then they would've done it before or along with the Reason Rack Plug-In so they wouldn't need to code it twice. Although I guess with all of the Reason Rack Plug-In, the code would've just been copied and pasted into the VST codebase I'd imagine.
Last edited by Creativemind on 03 Oct 2019, edited 2 times in total.

DougalDarkly

03 Oct 2019

Deleted
Last edited by DougalDarkly on 09 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

03 Oct 2019

DougalDarkly wrote:
03 Oct 2019
Creativemind wrote:
03 Oct 2019
the potential for Reason to be the leading daw is there.
Which is the leading DAW now?

How will I even know if my music's any good if I'm not using the leading DAW?
Well I suppose there isn't a leading daw but Reason could be it. 😉

w1pl0c

03 Oct 2019

So I just bought reason 11 Suite and had to upgrade to Ableton 10 to use the 'Reason as VST' plugin feature. So to add to shelling out 500 bones for usability, I expected better usability for my workflow.

Popcorn thoughts:
I kept pressing tab and the rack wouldn't flip around.
Kept pressing delete and instruments wouldn't delete.
Undo and Redo are clicks.
Need some keyboard shortcut functionality instead of mouse clicking everything.

No remote mapping???? Oh no

Midi gets sent to every instrument, which sucks for making Chord/Arp chains (needs single midi gate and note cv i/o at top of Reason rack plugin). I mean we have combinator so we can group instruments with that if we want.

Hopeful for some improvements, Ive been using reason since version 4.

Right now i gotta spend more time with it though

Here is all the info they have:
http://docs.propellerheads.se/rackplugs ... b=contents

• Information