Reason Rack VST running in Reason Standalone

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Lempface

01 Oct 2019

This works just fine, if we get native VST3 support, multiple INs, and VST hosting in the rack, could lead to some interesting workflows.

upload images
Reason 11 Suite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Komplete Kontrol M32 | Maschine Mikro MK2 | Maschine Jam

EnochLight

01 Oct 2019

Lempface wrote:
01 Oct 2019
This works just fine, if we get native VST3 support, multiple INs, and VST hosting in the rack, could lead to some interesting workflows.

upload images
But...

But_Why.jpg
But_Why.jpg (65.98 KiB) Viewed 878 times

All Reason Plugin is, in this context, is a Combinator. We already have that in stock Reason DAW proper. How would this be useful?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Lempface

01 Oct 2019

How I'd use it would be to organize my rack, one of my main issues is how cluttered the thing can get. I personally like the idea of individually contained racks that can be saved as like a super combinator.
Reason 11 Suite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Komplete Kontrol M32 | Maschine Mikro MK2 | Maschine Jam

EnochLight

01 Oct 2019

Lempface wrote:
01 Oct 2019
How I'd use it would be to organize my rack, one of my main issues is how cluttered the thing can get. I personally like the idea of individually contained racks that can be saved as like a super combinator.
Hmmm... gotcha'. Guess that makes sense. Nice find, BTW! :thumbs_up:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Mataya

01 Oct 2019

What else can you do that you can't do with a combinator. Just curious. Nothing comes to mind right now.

tx

joeyluck

01 Oct 2019

Mataya wrote:
01 Oct 2019
What else can you do that you can't do with a combinator. Just curious. Nothing comes to mind right now.

tx
Window management is one. For instance, you can have several open and located different places. You can have one hovering over your Mixer or wherever. Ever tried to view devices in a Combinator and the Players at the top of a player chain at the same time? Since Players can't fold individually (hopefully this is updated at some point), it's impossible in many cases and you can't detach the two (players from the instrument). With this, you can move the window of devices wherever you like, allowing you to view certain things at the same time that you otherwise could not.

Another is it removes the necessity of creating a line mixer for several instruments. Not a huge step, but there you have it. With the Rack Plugin, you just throw the instruments in, they all receive MIDI notes and they all have audio routed automatically. Maybe that option will be added with an update to the Combinator? It's a small workflow improvement for some.

Mataya

01 Oct 2019

Oh, you're right. That's cool. Yes, combinator could be an even bigger beast with an update. I've seen so many great requests for it. Hopefully reason crew is capable of adding those and update it. I just don't see native reason devices updated like ever, which is so strange to me.

M

Lempface

01 Oct 2019

What I would like to see is some sort of hybrid implementation of the Rack VST directly in Reason. Hybrid by functioning as the VST rack but built in Reason w/ deeper sequencer integration for instruments and such in the new super combinator but also allowing the patch to be loaded in the VST in another host.

It would be an alternative to the combinator and dropped into the master rack with something that looked like the combinator header as we have now with macros and the programmer. If you expand it, it unfolds like the traditional combinator but it would allow nested combinators and behave like a standalone rack, it should also be able to be popped out as a standard window and docked wherever you like. Importantly it would need to be able to host VSTs!

EnochLight

01 Oct 2019

Once high dpi/4K support is addressed in Reason proper, maybe the solution will be a hybrid window-pop out device?

joeyluck

01 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
01 Oct 2019
Once high dpi/4K support is addressed in Reason proper, maybe the solution will be a hybrid window-pop out device?
I always thought that maybe pop-out UI's of individual RE devices might be more preferable than an entire Rack zoom; a more focused approach. Or in addition to...

So then when you want a closer look at an individual RE, you could pop-out a large, scalable window of it. Then you could move it about wherever. And alternatively, maybe the RE format could be updated to not only allow larger scalable views of REs in pop-out windows, but developers could also offer alternative aspect rations that otherwise wouldn't fit the Rack (such as larger horizontally).

Boombastix
Competition Winner

02 Oct 2019

I've been thinking about this as well. For the purpose of taking the Reason devices into another DAW with a RE/VST combinator/host.

What I want is to start building up a track in Reason, and then move it to Cubase for recording vocals etc. But my Combinators have VSTs (like 99% of the time), so the Rack Plugin is useless for this. Using the VST host makes transferring much easier. I can imagine doing this in less than 10min, bounce mixer channels, export midi. Bring it into Cubase. Open up the instruments in the VST host.

Record vocals use Cubase vocalign - hours saved, and Cubase now use zPlane and that is super good on vocals.

But then, how easy would it be allow the Rack Plugin to have VSTs inside? I guess I'll keep scratching my head over this omission, for a loooong time.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information