about high frequency noise ( in reason )

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
exxx

29 Sep 2019

I've been troubled for a long time while using the high frequency band noise found in nnxt piano samples and etc rack.

At first I thought it was simply a matter of sample.

However, in this update, I tested the piano b through the rack on another daw and I heard the clearest noise for that reason.

I don't know if it's noise or harmonics, but it makes the sound messy in the performance.

Adding fx here makes the sound more messy.

I think it's a big problem that simply can't be solved with EQ cuts.

Listen to the same rack on another record, such as a reaper or a studio. There is definitely a difference between bass and treble. This is not a volume problem.

Some people say that this is due to pan law, but high frequency processing has noise mixing amplification.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7514168

According to the link above, I think I have a certain regularity, but can't I deliberately kick it out at the program level?

It's better if you can turn it on and off using the button.

Everybody call the reason rack once and do a daw test.

Below is my reason image I made -81db

But look at the very sharp lines up and down.

I guess that makes noise.
Attachments
reason sonic.png
reason sonic.png (56.6 KiB) Viewed 701 times
Last edited by exxx on 29 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

selig
RE Developer

29 Sep 2019

Noise in samples is "noisy samples". Noise at -80 dBFS is inaudible. Analog tape had noise at -40 to -50 dB, and so much great music was made.

I think you're describing two different things, which have two different solutions. For noisy samples that don't work on delicate music, you will need to choose different samples! Not much way around that, I'm afraid, since the noise comes from every note you play, making it's level and frequency unpredictable. For noise at -80 dBFS, you'll need to stop worrying because you will never actually hear it. Or don't use automation fades on sensitive material - remember the noise you display above ONLY happens when the fader is moving quickly, and doesn't occur when you fade out on a clip. So for fades that cover the entire dynamic range in 1 bar (as the fades in the linked examples), use the audio clip fade outs and you'll be 100% clean.
Selig Audio, LLC

exxx

29 Sep 2019

selig wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Noise in samples is "noisy samples". Noise at -80 dBFS is inaudible. Analog tape had noise at -40 to -50 dB, and so much great music was made.

I think you're describing two different things, which have two different solutions. For noisy samples that don't work on delicate music, you will need to choose different samples! Not much way around that, I'm afraid, since the noise comes from every note you play, making it's level and frequency unpredictable. For noise at -80 dBFS, you'll need to stop worrying because you will never actually hear it. Or don't use automation fades on sensitive material - remember the noise you display above ONLY happens when the fader is moving quickly, and doesn't occur when you fade out on a clip. So for fades that cover the entire dynamic range in 1 bar (as the fades in the linked examples), use the audio clip fade outs and you'll be 100% clean.
Incomplete test, but thank you for always responding.

But don't you think that the same nnxt piano sounds clearer at higher frequencies in different daws?

There is a possibility of getting a sound that is a little cleaner and closer to the original sample.

Because reason became rack vst, I was obsessed a little because it might mean to share such a story.

If possible I would like to keep the familiar daw with everyone.

This content and related articles probably end with this.

This is made with the Europa sine c7 of -51db.

I'm not more professional than many people

But I think it's fun to talk about this.

I hope this issue will be improved in the next update.

reason e sonic c7-51.png
reason e sonic c7-51.png (14.58 KiB) Viewed 643 times
reaper e sonic c7-51.png
reaper e sonic c7-51.png (13.82 KiB) Viewed 643 times
mixcraft e sonic c7-51 .png
mixcraft e sonic c7-51 .png (13.06 KiB) Viewed 643 times

RobC

01 Oct 2019

Which plugin is that analyzer?

chaosroyale

01 Oct 2019

I think you misunderstood OP. They are not saying the samples are noisy. They are saying the same samples (and Europa in his second test) have more distortion when playing in Reason than when playing in Reaper or other DAWs, even with the levels matched.

Anyone wanna chime in on that graph?
selig wrote:
29 Sep 2019

chaosroyale

01 Oct 2019

EDIT>> for any new users, it is worth repeating that All DAWs sound the same when playing the same waveforms at the same levels. ALL differences are caused by difference in settings such as EQ, automation, saturation, clippers/maximizers and so on.

• Information