When Will Reason 11.X AAX be available?

This forum is for discussing Propellerhead's music software. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
DonnieAlan
Posts: 236
Joined: 25 Jan 2017

Post 27 Sep 2019

It frustrates me no end that Reason finally allows VST hosting with 9.5, but NOT if Reason is in slave mode. Then, they come out with Reason 11 where you can load just the rack. But it is itself VST and there is no AAX version, which means, once again, for us MANY MANY Pro Tools users we can't take advantage of using it. Oh sure, we can host the rack as a VST in something like BlueCat Audio's Patchwork, but you still can't host VSTs inside the rack that way. So frustrating!

Since 9.5 I've said over and over that if Reason would allow VST hosting in slave mode (or now in 11, in the rack), it becomes the most powerful VI on the planet...bar none. Nothing comes close to the way the Reason rack allows for creating multi-layered patches using multiple VIs, especially in the Combinator. But without jumping through all sorts of hoops, we have no way to do it because for some reason that I simply can not fathom, Reason won't allow it with Reason hosted in slave mode into another DAW via Rewire, and now with R-11, no AAX version either.

PLEASE Reason, I'm begging you...MAKE THIS AAX...ASAP!!! And allow for hosting VST with just the rack in ANY DAW. I'd upgrade to 11 immediately if they did that. Until then...I'll take a pass. And I know there are many other Pro Tools users out there who feel the same way!

User avatar
gullum
Posts: 638
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Faroe Islands

Post 27 Sep 2019

of cause many if not all Pro Tools users will skip Reason 11 because it drops rewire completely in v.11 so now it can be used at all with Pro Tools

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 566
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 27 Sep 2019

Isn't ProTools the most widely used DAW in the industry ? Certainly studios I've been through have all used ProTools (or Logic to a lesser extent)

Seems daft that they would exclude that side of the market.

User avatar
gullum
Posts: 638
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Faroe Islands

Post 27 Sep 2019

Rewire is dead and no AAX or AU makes this upgrade unappealing to quite a few potential up graders

BigPictureSound
Posts: 39
Joined: 25 Jun 2019

Post 27 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
27 Sep 2019
Isn't ProTools the most widely used DAW in the industry ? Certainly studios I've been through have all used ProTools (or Logic to a lesser extent)

Seems daft that they would exclude that side of the market.
Not any more- at least not outside recording studios which aren’t exactly numerous. From a launch perspective, it makes sense to only deal with one format at a time to squash bugs before introducing another, in my opinion.

User avatar
QVprod
Posts: 2381
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 28 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
27 Sep 2019
Isn't ProTools the most widely used DAW in the industry ? Certainly studios I've been through have all used ProTools (or Logic to a lesser extent)

Seems daft that they would exclude that side of the market.
No. Industry standard for audio recording which is why pro recording studios have it. Most used DAWs are probably Fl Studio and Live.

As far as why AAX is "being looked into", it's probably because the steps involved in creating for it seem ridiculously cumbersome. https://forum.juce.com/t/building-aax-c ... ng/14055/6 . I imagine the priority are formats that are compatible with most DAWs, but I suspect they'll add AAX at some point.

User avatar
Biolumin3sc3nt
Posts: 517
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 28 Sep 2019

I don't ever see RS hosting VST3's/ ETC inside of themselves for two reasons. #1Mattias stated earlier it would be completely redundant, and cause an unnecessary spike in DSP. #2, Why even use Reason anymore?? That would be a throat punch to themselves!

I mean "Ya never never know -- Hell could refreeze again" but naw.

I'm not a coder and I don't know what kind of resources it would take to put AAX out there, but I can see it as a wise investment. Obviously they stated AU is coming soon, so there's that too.

Have some patience... I've been blown away by .5 releases in the past that gave them My money

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 566
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 28 Sep 2019

QVprod wrote:
28 Sep 2019

No. Industry standard for audio recording which is why pro recording studios have it. Most used DAWs are probably Fl Studio and Live.
FL Is the most used DAW because it continues to be cracked. And Live has been bundled with every single outboard device I have purchased in the past 10 years. Neither of these are 'in the industry' as I prefaced my earlier comment.

Yonatan
Posts: 1024
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 28 Sep 2019

I dont use ProTools but Logoc and both those are used a lot in many recording studios. But why on earth dont ProTools allow Vst, never understood why all want their own format.
(well they all want control offcourse, but all should not all try to support vst3 which is most used? ). Very strange when companies cant agree on a common standard, and then beside that have their own special format which they can specialize extra for their Daw.
I hope they get AU out soon and AAX might come down the line.

User avatar
QVprod
Posts: 2381
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 28 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
28 Sep 2019
QVprod wrote:
28 Sep 2019

No. Industry standard for audio recording which is why pro recording studios have it. Most used DAWs are probably Fl Studio and Live.
FL Is the most used DAW because it continues to be cracked. And Live has been bundled with every single outboard device I have purchased in the past 10 years. Neither of these are 'in the industry' as I prefaced my earlier comment.
Industry goes beyond pro recording studios. Cracked or not, that's where the customers are (ironically many of them buy plugins). Most people aren't producing music with Pro Tools in these studios unless they're dealing with bands. Simply recording audio and mixing.

BigPictureSound
Posts: 39
Joined: 25 Jun 2019

Post 28 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
28 Sep 2019
]

FL Is the most used DAW because it continues to be cracked.
Got a source to back that up?

DonnieAlan
Posts: 236
Joined: 25 Jan 2017

Post 29 Sep 2019

Yonatan wrote:
28 Sep 2019
I dont use ProTools but Logoc and both those are used a lot in many recording studios. But why on earth dont ProTools allow Vst, never understood why all want their own format...
I can answer that in one word: Stability! VSTs are nice and the format is flexible and all that. But, AAX ensures certain standards that enhance stability for users. Prior to AAX, when Pro Tools had the old RTAS format, and VST could be hosted with a couple of other hosting softwares, there were always stability issues. With AAX, those kind of issues have been almost eliminated. I say almost, because there are the odd times when something doesn't sit quite right in Pro Tools, even if its AAX.

DonnieAlan
Posts: 236
Joined: 25 Jan 2017

Post 29 Sep 2019

gullum wrote:
27 Sep 2019
Rewire is dead and no AAX or AU makes this upgrade unappealing to quite a few potential up graders
Which is exactly my point!!! I currently have 9.5. When 9.5 was announced, and Reason could VSTs in the rack, like many, I got really excited. I had visions of designing all kinds of super patches using Combinator and my VSTs...all with Reason hosted in slave mode in Pro Tools. My elation turned to mega-disappointment when I learned that VST hosting would only work with Reason in Master mode. I didn't get that at all! Still don't.

Now, they add some real innovation with making the Reason Rack available as a separate insert. BUT - only in VST mode, no AU, no AAX, and still not able to host VST's except with Reason as Master. In other words...the upgrade is useless to me as I have no intention of making Reason my main DAW, ever. Add AAX and VST hosting, and I upgrade within the hour! As will MANY, MANY others!

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3149
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 29 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
27 Sep 2019
Isn't ProTools the most widely used DAW in the industry ? Certainly studios I've been through have all used ProTools (or Logic to a lesser extent)

Seems daft that they would exclude that side of the market.
Yeah, the vast majority of studios in the U.K use either Logic or Pro Tools or have both I heard. They are classed (and don't shoot me for this) as the 2 leading daw's in the industry or industry standard you might say. Some use Cubase (as a very good studio in the city centre in my area does) but most use the latter 2. Some may have Reason but only to use as rewire, it wouldn't be their main daw.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 10.4 / Cockus Reaper 5.982 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
boingy
Posts: 791
Joined: 01 Feb 2019

Post 29 Sep 2019

They have promised AU by the end of the year but they have been much more coy on AAX, not saying anything other than "we're thinking about it". So don't hold your breath.

IMO the rack itself needs to be able to host VST2s so we can transfer our favourite combis between Standalone and Rack and the Rack needs to support MIDI out so the world can taste one of the best things to be added to Reason in recent years: Player Devices.

And as far as I know almost all pro studios will have Pro Tools on the go. Not necessarily because it is the best but because it is the closest thing to an industry standard. Any visiting producer or engineer will be familiar with PT to some degree. What I'm not sure of is whether those PT installations will see much soft synth or even MIDI action. That stuff is probably done on another DAW and dumped into PT as audio.

User avatar
Proboscis
Posts: 566
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 29 Sep 2019

Creativemind wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Yeah, the vast majority of studios in the U.K use either Logic or Pro Tools or have both I heard. They are classed (and don't shoot me for this) as the 2 leading daw's in the industry or industry standard you might say.
Yes, that is my experience also. But since there's always people to jump up and down on this forum to insist you are wrong and they are right, you can expect responses telling you how your actual real world observations are incorrect. :roll:

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3149
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 29 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Creativemind wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Yeah, the vast majority of studios in the U.K use either Logic or Pro Tools or have both I heard. They are classed (and don't shoot me for this) as the 2 leading daw's in the industry or industry standard you might say.
Yes, that is my experience also. But since there's always people to jump up and down on this forum to insist you are wrong and they are right, you can expect responses telling you how your actual real world observations are incorrect. :roll:
Yeah I went college doing music tech and did 1 year at uni as well and all the tutors said the same thing, Logic & Pro Tools are industry
standard hence why they taught them primarily. Both institutions had Ableton as well but they were mainly used for Live performances with the clip launch etc. College had Reason as well as it was easy to wrap your head 'round (this was Reason 6 at the time) for first year students and also great to learn subtractive synthesis on (which we did) using Subtractor.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 10.4 / Cockus Reaper 5.982 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 1014
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 30 Sep 2019

I can somewhat understand the AAX delay, but not having the AU version ready for launch is one of the dumbest things they've ever done.
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music
Mac mini (Late 2012) | Logic Pro X | Reason 10.4 | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | JP-8080 | Virus Classic | Roland XP-80/XP-30/RD-700/TR-09 | Steinberg UR22mkII | Emagic AMT8 | Mackie SR24x4 | StudioLogic SL990 PRO

User avatar
boingy
Posts: 791
Joined: 01 Feb 2019

Post 30 Sep 2019

hurricane wrote:
30 Sep 2019
I can somewhat understand the AAX delay, but not having the AU version ready for launch is one of the dumbest things they've ever done.
I'm pretty sure you will find many in agreement with you within Props itself. The conversation will have gone like this:
Sales/Marketing: "We've got to launch in September"
Technical: "But some stuff won't be ready in time"
Sales/Marketing: "That's not ideal but we must launch in September regardless. The rest will have to follow"
Technical: "%&&%!!!"

And I don't think AU is the only omission. I think there are a handful of other improvements to the Standalone that did not make the cut. We saw how up against the deadline they were. With only a few weeks to go we saw publicity pics of unfinished front panels and stuff. I'm thinking R11.1 or R11.2 will be a much more balanced affair.

andy1908
Posts: 1
Joined: 14 Oct 2019

Post 14 Oct 2019

Hi!
Been using reason since v 1.
rewired into pro tools since 2004.
I'm extremely disappointed that there isn't support for v11 in pt 2019, but I'm hopeful the get it straightened out.
So I'm sticking w/ v10 in pt2019 for the time being as my workflow depends on it...

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but if someone can give me a pointer or link or SOMETHING that can show me how to properly map a MIDI controller (SLMK3) while reason is rewired in pt2019 I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure this out. The controller maps properly in reason standalone, but once I open in pt NOTHING maps. I get some very basic control and that's it.

Thanks.

jlgrimes
Posts: 421
Joined: 06 Jun 2017

Post 17 Oct 2019

Proboscis wrote:
27 Sep 2019
Isn't ProTools the most widely used DAW in the industry ? Certainly studios I've been through have all used ProTools (or Logic to a lesser extent)

Seems daft that they would exclude that side of the market.
Probably the most widely used for big budget studios but I bet most big budget studios focus on audio recording/mixing and less on midi.

FL, Logic, Cubase, or Ableton are probably more popular for Midi and soft synths (hence why Props is next focusing on Logic compatibility).

jlgrimes
Posts: 421
Joined: 06 Jun 2017

Post 17 Oct 2019

boingy wrote:
30 Sep 2019
hurricane wrote:
30 Sep 2019
I can somewhat understand the AAX delay, but not having the AU version ready for launch is one of the dumbest things they've ever done.
I'm pretty sure you will find many in agreement with you within Props itself. The conversation will have gone like this:
Sales/Marketing: "We've got to launch in September"
Technical: "But some stuff won't be ready in time"
Sales/Marketing: "That's not ideal but we must launch in September regardless. The rest will have to follow"
Technical: "%&&%!!!"

And I don't think AU is the only omission. I think there are a handful of other improvements to the Standalone that did not make the cut. We saw how up against the deadline they were. With only a few weeks to go we saw publicity pics of unfinished front panels and stuff. I'm thinking R11.1 or R11.2 will be a much more balanced affair.
Probably right because they already have AU in the framework.

cqd
Posts: 7
Joined: 05 Jan 2018

Post 18 Oct 2019

Has there been any suggestion of an ETA for this at all?..like, I'd probably pick up th update over /bf if I knew it might be done by say feb..

User avatar
tronam
Posts: 301
Joined: 04 Mar 2015

Post 19 Oct 2019

hurricane wrote:
30 Sep 2019
I can somewhat understand the AAX delay, but not having the AU version ready for launch is one of the dumbest things they've ever done.
Yeah, it dampened most of my enthusiasm for R11 as well. The devs are probably working their tails off to make this happen, so better late than never, but I'm not accustomed to them releasing flagship features incomplete like this.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) | Intel 8-Core i9 9900K | Radeon Pro Vega 48 | 48GB RAM

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6057
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 19 Oct 2019

hurricane wrote:
30 Sep 2019
I can somewhat understand the AAX delay, but not having the AU version ready for launch is one of the dumbest things they've ever done.
Counterpoint: when the vast majority of computer users are still on Windows (over 75%), was it really one of the dumbest things they’ve ever done?
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 and System 1 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: cmstrike, CommonCrawl [Bot], Social Exodus, Trendiction [Bot] and 2 guests