Dropping the Weight

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Raveshaper

26 Sep 2019

I'm going to lay out my opinion even though I'm preaching to the choir.

If you disagree, that's fine. I'm only going to state my view of things and share it as input on recent events.

1. Scenic Hybrid

I made a post recently that compared the offerings in u-He Hive 2 to those in the Scenic Hybrid Instrument. Let's revisit these devices now that they both have demos up online.

First let's compare sound quality.

SoundCloud Set of Scenic Hybrid Demos:

SoundCloud Set of u-He Hive 2 Demos:

Alright, let's take a look at how these two devices were showcased in their release videos.

Scenic Hybrid Instrument Highlight Video:

U-He Hive 2 Highlight Video:

So, what is the comparison we're really making here.

Aside from price, the Hive 2 really puts organization of its interface and user feedback at the center of its workflow. You can make percussion, baseline, and lead with a comprehensive overview of what you're doing without having to do a lot of display switching. Each display allows you to do a lot all in one place. The showcase for the Hive 2 is almost 12 minutes long.

The Scenic Hybrid Instrument basically provides a certain type of sound, but isn't as easy to use from the perspective of having a comprehensive overview while you're working. The showcase for the Scenic Hybrid Instrument is below 2 minutes in length, showing almost nothing of the actual device in action.

And then there's the comments on each of those videos. The Scenic Hybrid Instrument has a solid wall of unhappy and unimpressed comments that are downright scathing. The Hive 2 video is almost entirely unanimous praise.

Ok. What can we learn from all of this so far.

The creation of the Hive 2 demonstrates a commitment to the end user in the form of how much planning went into the features and overall design. The UI itself is second only to the sound quality, which is very good for the low amount of CPU this thing consumes.

There is a real sense that the people at u-He have put a lot of thought into providing the most to the user that they can inside of a single instrument, and the appreciation for their effort is palpable in the response from their community.

In short, their users feel like the company has their best interests at heart.

The creation of the Scenic Hybrid Instrument looks and sounds like a rushed repackaging of old material, as many have stated. It has a beyond minimalist design and subpar sound library compared to something like the Hive 2. Sample loading has been announced, but feels more like an admission of guilt regarding the quality of the sounds currently provided by the unit.

The reaction has been mixed so far, but shrewd people who are more likely to do their research before investing in a new tool have almost universally been turned off by this product. Because things like the Hive 2 exist, and because their ear training tells them it doesn't command $99.

In short, the users mostly feel like the company scraped something together to try to justify asking for more money.

Adding to all of this is the implied de facto price tag of $250 for the Scenic Hybrid Instrument. If you already own every RE in the Suite version but chose to purchase Suite anyway, all you would be getting is Scenic Hybrid, which would then cost you $250 instead of $99.

You could buy it separately, you might say. But, if you upgrade to 11 at $129 and purchase the Scenic Hybrid separately at $99, that's still a price of $228 where all you're really getting for that money is Scenic Hybrid.

But they've made changes and improvements to the DAW, you could also say. Surely those command a price.

2. Reason 11

Reason 11 added a very simple, linear, "locked to semitone" ability to draw in repeated notes that snap to the grid resolution. FL Studio has a brush tool where you can freely "paint" notes almost like pixels to quickly create arpeggiations and melodic elements. Cubase has a randomize notes feature that allows you to generate and discover happy accidents that can boost creativity when you're having producer's block.

Reason 11 added curved automation. Cubase didn't have curved automation either until recently. Not only did Steinberg add it in, but took it one step further by allowing automation to be shaped by VCAs. Every other host has had this as one of its basic features for a long time, while advancing and improving in many other areas.

Reason 11 added audio crossfades. Many of the other hosts have had this for quite some time. The feature is so long in the tooth that since the time of incorporating crossfades, other packages have dedicated some of their brightest minds to advancements in audio analysis. These bleeding edge tools now allow for tempo detection from audio clips, as well as relatively painless tempo matching of recordings that have different BPM.

There are a couple other things in the Reason 11 update but those three are the key "new" things.

I center on Cubase because in my belief it is the best value for money in terms of career progression in the longterm. You can begin with basic usage and mixing, all the way to using it as the primary console for a network of secondary systems running Vienna Ensemble over ethernet. All the way from young people material like what Zedd produces, to top level film scoring work like Junkie XL and Hans Zimmer.

It's a program that seems very simple at first but will take a user years to actually master it. There's just so much built-in that it can be daunting trying to learn it all at the beginning.

In short, Cubase feels like using a piece of software that has 20+ years of features packed in, while Reason feels like software that was made in 2000 and has been kept on life support for 20 years.

I can hear you saying "but Cubase crashes". To that I say, nothing is perfect, but using other DAWs in a haphazard nonsensical way like in Reason's interface is bound to cause problems most users of "other daw x" don't encounter. But I digress.

Let's take a look at the emphasis on community these two brands have.

Reason Studios Community Tab:
https://www.youtube.com/user/PropellerheadSW/community

Steinberg Cubase Community Tab:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcQBdi ... /community

Right away we can see a huge disconnect. The Reason Studios community tab has gaps as large as 3 months with nothing posted and only two showcases of other channels / artists. They have a playlist for artist showcases that hasn't been updated for a year, but none of that is in their community tab.

The artist showcases for Reason have always felt like a thinly veiled non-admission of comparative mediocrity. As if to say, "see, we promise our software can actually be used on a professional level, just look at these people (please)".

The Cubase community not only has more activity, but it demonstrates a clear dedication to the users of their product.

The overwhelming bulk of videos on the Cubase official channel show people how to use their software and how to accomplish things they might not have known they could do. It's clearly a way of giving back and investing in the success of the people who use Cubase.

The Reason Studios playlists have not been updated in as much as 2 years. Many playlists haven't been updated since 2011 and date back to Reason 4 of all things.

The tonal consistency of the videos on the Reason Studios official channel is predominately "here's something we want you to buy", rather than "here's what we believe in as well as the experience we can offer you, and through how we present ourselves we can win your investment in us."

I'm not sure how else I can word that to convey what I mean. Videos that are 10-20 minutes in length at least three times a month that center on helping users fulfill their dreams as producers one step at a time, compared to a string of intermittent product videos of something else to buy that looks (and sounds) like it should be a free download.

Not to mention all the video evidence of the unbroken track record of failed products, such as RE, Figure, Take, Line6, Allihoopa, and A-List. There's a lot of cringe in those playlists.

3. Getting to the Point / My Thoughts

Nobody knows what the direction is for this product and for this company.

That alone is cause for alarm.

It does not make sense to entice users back by making a VST3 wrapper for Reason if those users left because they weren't happy about the modules that Reason offered them. Why would they want to use what they already didn't like, but in another program?

It does not make sense to entice new users or old users to buy the VST3 plugin if it breaks the more streamlined and modern workflow of those superior user experiences. Why would someone with a much more professional grade workflow want to fight with a deeply flawed plugin that is "weird" compared to everything else they use?

It does not make sense to include VST2 support in your host without being aware of VST3's upcoming release. Companies should be up to date on industry trends so they can anticipate shifts in the market. Here's a question to consider: is it even possible for Reason Studios to innovate, or do they always have to stay a step behind so they can loosely mimic other companies?

It does not make sense to try and sell RE units to VST3 enabled DAW owners when things like Hive 2 exist, and many useful VSTs are free to use (or very cheap compared to REs). Many VST products include redundant features so you don't have to load a hundred things to achieve the sound you need, so buying and loading a ton of RE units is nonsense in that context.

It does not make sense to hastily shove out an unfinished product like this at the cost of any established users, while simultaneously embarrassing the company on a global scale. It's not just on ReasonTalk, it's not just in our little bubbles on reddit and KVR, etc., this time it's everywhere. This time Reason Studios gets to fall down in front of everyone.

Keep in mind that the Scenic Hybrid Instrument is being given this shroud of prestige as the newest, brightest diamond in their crown. Taken as a whole, the sum of their offerings are being greeted with placating bemusement from the professional audio world. To further the cringe factor, the manner in which version 11 was released was an unprecedented failure for all to witness.

It doesn't make sense for a company to get caught snoozing rather than have their new domain up and running on the day of their hyped release. Did they even want to sell any units? Or did they just want the plausible deniability that the server was down to explain their denial of 30 day refund tickets when people come asking why their double- or triple-billing through the broken payment system confirmation page hasn't been placed back into their bank account. "What refund tickets? We never got any. Oh, right. All of our systems were down for a couple days at launch, such a shame we have to keep all that money. We would almost feel bad if it didn't mean our slim chance of survival."

In summary, almost none of this makes sense.

Many people have all come to the same conclusion on their own over the past several days. Reason Studios knew they really didn't have much at all to bring to the table and that people are fed up with them already. Bringing out an almost unchanged new release would only piss those people off and make them commit to leaving. So the only way to spin that to their favor was to make a way for the people who were giving up on them to take their stuff with them. It would supposedly inject a large sum of revenue, but only as a one-time cash out of all the disgruntled loyalists that would be willing to take them up on their implied invitation to kindly leave.

At face value, it seems like a good addition to the product in that you can use it elsewhere and users can explore other options if they want. But if you scratch the surface things don't add up.

Rather than feeling empowered to use Reason stuff in other DAWs, it will quickly be more and more noticeable how slow and clunky it is to do things with the Rack plugin compared to the built-in workflow of other packages. As people branch out from Reason for the first time, they're going to discover new tools and ways of working that they literally can't do in Reason and likely never knew existed and they will find themselves using the stuff they dragged with them from Reason less and less.

People used to Reason and having to "make do" with no meaningful updates or improvements will shift from having clearly defined needs that aren't being met to having overwhelming options far beyond their exceedingly conservative requests. They will discover the true difference between a company that listens to their customers and one that deigns to know better than them.

This is a gateway drug to the wider world of what's out there. This is not a viable way of proving the value of Reason, it is a way of encouraging people to abandon it.

Many people today will protest ever doing this, but when there are features like the ones displayed here out there waiting for them, it's a foregone conclusion that they eventually will.

Cubase Pro 10 Release Promo:

Seriously, imagine having a mixing console much more dynamic than the SSL board with each channel strip setup with exactly and only the devices you want where you want them, then add being able to "snapshot" that entire mixing board so you can freely switch between configurations.

There's a mention of a VR enabled mode. Gimicky, sure, by today's standards maybe. But the main narrative here is that they're overshooting the mark not underselling something tired and worn out.

Cubase Pro 10 Upgrade Featurette:

This is the video aimed at current users to pitch them a reason to update to the latest release.

Notice how much of this is not only light years ahead of anything Reason has ever done, but it is framed from the user's point of view, as in how they would benefit from the things mentioned?

Also notice how there are directly synonymous and superior versions of every feature Reason has? Yeah. It's like everything works like it should, y'know?

Let's go back to the u-He Hive 2. Devices like that are out there. Such devices are modern, built to have GPU accelerated 4k graphics, and are practically a DAW unto themselves. They have CPU performant engines that allow for stacking of multiple instances and in some cases, compelling value offerings in VST format are even free to use.

If each version of Reason is to be considered a separate software unto itself, then the feature differences in each version are the actionable elements that command the price of the package.

If we go back and compare with Cubase Pro 10 again, the flagship of the Steinberg lineup, the value proposition becomes clearly defined.

Cubase Pro 10 is packed with 20+ years of features.
Cost: $559
Upgrade Cost: $50

Reason 11 Suite has minimal features and heavy DLC to prop it up.
Cost: $599
Upgrade Cost: $129+ (*)

* It should be noted here that nobody even knows what the upgrade pricing is going to be for the Suite version at this time. It could be $250 every update. No one knows.

Clearly, the year over year investment has a much higher value with other brands by comparison. If you choose to go with FL Studio, for example, the updates are free for the lifetime of your license.

But, really, let's be honest about what this is really all about.

This is about respect, trust, and honesty, not all about price or value for money. Many have chosen to overpay by staying in the Reason ecosystem "just because" for a long time. What is rotting things from the inside out is that the culture of Reason has grown toxic, isolated, and stagnant. In many ways the community is now defined by their complaints as much as the software they use. That's a big deal and very hard for a company to reverse.

The biggest motivator for people leaving Reason for good once they explore "what's out there" is that those communities are built upon customer feedback. Front and center in all of the marketing for other packages you will hear multiple mentions of user responses and what they have done to address them. People will imperceptibly acclimate to being treated better and feeling included in the direction their DAW company is taking, which is only natural after being in what amounts to a bad relationship for so long.

Some people have said they don't want to start over by learning a new DAW. To that I say, give up right now. If you don't want to continually start at the bottom of another rung of knowledge, you will never progress in anything. To be a master of any art, you are always building upon what you have learned by becoming a beginner in a new aspect of your craft. Better to stop completely than excuse having to make a positive, necessary, and healthy change that can better support your longterm future.

4. The Bottom Line

Everyone can choose as they will, and I know my thinking is clouded by my own motivations and perception. But I am choosing to leave Reason behind and not come back.

As far as my thoughts on why I'm leaving and what they could have done differently, it's really down to that respect and honesty bit.

Before I had a legit install of Reason I had dabbled on version 3 thru 5. And to be honest, even back then it never felt like something to actually pay for. A friend of mine purchased an unregistered copy of version 1 so I could register it and upgrade to version 6 for $129, but I would never have invested otherwise.

I thought that the product had changed or progressed, but instead everything was almost entirely the same. The mixer was a welcome addition compared to the 14:2, but that was the only difference. The last time I was actually impressed by a Reason release was version 7, when they finally dragged their feet into providing a spectrum analyzer. But once I saw how low resolution it was compared to everything else I had ever seen, I was quickly underwhelmed.

They have a small team, but there's a small team behind Bitwig too. They've had 20 years and look like they've been placed into cryogenics. Studio One has had only a decade to mature but they're competing with Cubase as best value for money.

It's like these people are just seeing how much you'll pay them if they keep repackaging the same reusable internal components behind different front panel graphics, then laughing in front of you as you start to catch on you've been tricked again.

What they should have been doing is changing things up and moving forward instead of taking forever to plan these invisible projects behind the scenes that no one asked for and no one really wants. They also should have done a lot more inclusivity with their customers, like pretty much every other brand does. Rather than puff up their chest and promote an egotistical position on "being different" where the company and its ideas are sooo much better than its customers, they should have been building their brand on the bedrock of customer appreciation and satisfaction.

Imagine Ableton, but if they didn't center their branding on young music makers that are selling out shows using Live on stage.

Or imagine FL Studio, but if they didn't center their branding on independent producers.

Reason Studios presents their offerings like they're begging. Here's something to buy, please buy it. The rest of it? Oh yeah, it's still the same. But you can add this to it. Yeah? Good enough? Please we need to eat.

Improvements? You want improvements. Hmm... yeah, sure you can help improve my salary. Come on in we'll make you a deal.

Some may think that I'm a quitter, but really things have gone way past the concept of "quitting". It's more like Reason Studios is the one that quit a long time ago, or they never knew how to start. It's not that I'm giving up on them, it's that I don't believe they can make the changes necessary for me to see a value in sticking around. It's hard to articulate accurately. Given that the future of the company is a top trending conversation lately, I'm not the only one in doubt of their ability to do anything toward modernizing their products or forging ahead into new territory.

It's like children playing house, but instead it's a business.

I'm not going to relate my life story and it's none of your business anyway. But it suffices that I have been in bad relationships before. My motivation for leaving Reason is that I choose to not be taken advantage of.

All of this feels like beating a dead horse at this point. It hasn't felt right for a long time and I can't justify why I haven't left sooner. I know there are things I'm leaving out of this stream of consciousness, but really the whole thing tires me.

Perhaps I'll see you over at Steinberg.net, but unless someone wants to do a transfer and inherit my license, I'm out.

I've got a life to live and I don't want to waste it on things that don't make me happy anymore.

Don't let your life pass by being miserable when all you have to do is drop the weight you're carrying. That goes for anything that might be dragging you down. Those are my final two cents.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

BartBackowitz

26 Sep 2019

I clicked on the Cubase 10 link and the comments section was a lot of Cubase users complaining about the DAW's new features.

reggie1979

26 Sep 2019

I clicked the OP and have TL/DR!

:lol:

Sorry, just saying..............

Loque

26 Sep 2019

I completely agree to the last 2 posts.

My suggestion to OP: sell your Reason license and grow your career with Cubase.
Reason12, Win10

rgdaniel

27 Sep 2019

My attention span may be challenged, but it is still more than up to the task of the OP's long, thoughtful post, and I had no problem reading the whole thing. It was well-argued and clearly coming from a genuine, heartfelt place, and I appreciate the effort. I neither agree nor disagree at this point, I'm somewhere about halfway between blind allegiance and bitter resentment, and unsure of what's next, which leaves me a bit creativity-challenged. It's possible I'll just do other things for a while.

BigPictureSound

27 Sep 2019

At the end of the day, the upgrade is only 129.00 and I am pretty sure the next year of free updates will be atonement in overdrive.

Still, you are emotionally invested in the product and if this is your only DAW then it will sure feel like the grass is greener everywhere else. As an owner of (in purchase order since 2002) FL Studio, Studio One 1, 2, 3, Maschine 1.0 - 2.8.6, Logic Pro X, Bitwig 2.5, and most recently Reason 10, I can tell you from my own experience that every single one of these programs falls short in some way when compared to the others.

As a Reason user for less than a year, it’s worth noting that even with all of my other tools, I was attracted to Reason for the visual modulation and routing (aka “the rack’) and the SSL console. The sequencer has some really nifty features but I agree it needs improving. However, the important stuff needed to build a polished track is there.

The new Reason VST might help existing users who are tethered exclusively to Reason’s DAW find other tools, but for every 1 that leaves, 100 more new customers will buy in simply because people love buying and trying new stuff.

Also, I’ve stayed away from Cubase in objection to that POS dongle, and also the UI being a janky mess.

I don’t think Reason is giving up on anyone. In fact I believe they will double down now that they have a whole new way to sell the product. Reason is a complicated DAW in terms of design philosophy keeping everything logically analog which absolutely isn’t conducive to rapid development like other daw’s who throw a label on and you’re supposed to just know it’s a button, or that it’s linked to something else.

TL;DR

All DAW’s get the job done in their own way, and some are better than others at some things and everyone should own and master at least two DAW’s (Reasons + Logic is a nice combo).

MannequinRaces

27 Sep 2019

Raveshaper, you’re like a broken record, lol. How many times in the past year have you said you’re going to leave? Seems like you’re having trouble letting go. You mention selling your license... how much are you asking for it?

bxbrkrz

27 Sep 2019

Reason Suite and U-He's offerings. Why can't we own both?
Somehow I wish I was as much in love with Reason as you, OP.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Jagwah

27 Sep 2019

Raveshaper wrote:
26 Sep 2019
Don't let your life pass by being miserable when all you have to do is drop the weight you're carrying. That goes for anything that might be dragging you down. Those are my final two cents.
I've agreed with pretty much everything you've been saying lately. I think many of us Reason only users have become more and more disillusioned with Props as the years tick by. Some of the newer positive peters here may finally understand after they wait years for simple features they want when all they get is 'Hey buy this off us for just $99' over and over again.

Back when we had 52 tips in 52 weeks things felt very connected between users and developers, since then it's been a building disconnect. We always have the happy go lucky Mattias around making things seem better but he is here for public relations, not to put him down we all like him and he's great.

I know people now are REALLY expecting some kind of sequencer overhaul in the next major release because everyone is screaming for it (figuratively speaking), but I can almost guarantee there will be instruments and effect devices that many of us have no interest in, they will be built up and advertised like the most amazing thing anyone has seen in years - and there's all the man hours and resources already spent. I am quite certain that is where the money is, and enhancing and future proofing the sequencer technology wise - well that doesn't really bring in much money so I doubt very much is going to happen there, just the same old trickling down of features in the slowest fashion you can imagine. To the newer people who can't seem to fathom these complaints, yes, we sure do know the sequencer is 'good as it is' we've been using it exclusively for years, but it's 2019 now and we're way behind here, try and imagine if it had been worked on the entire time, instead of endless 'buy separately' $99 devices that we don't need that are going to keep coming.

Campaigning for video support! What a waste of my f*cking time!!!!! If only I had of realized sooner what a slow sh*t show this really is.

I can use Reason as is, I'm very invested in it financially and time wise and socially too, I'll just try and not imagine the advancing DAW technology out there and get on with the real reason I'm here. People can be great guitarists using a plastic guitar that was sold to them by a snake oil salesman, they just need to focus on their plastic guitar and forget about proper wooden ones and the newer greater plastic ones the salesman keeps screaming about.

Dude, seriously, just stay and be a musician and a Reason purist and be here with your friends, f*ck upgrading for a good few cycles and get on with the music. There's also the big project you been working on for everybody's benefit, we still want that :'(

DougalDarkly

27 Sep 2019

Deleted
Last edited by DougalDarkly on 09 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Proboscis

27 Sep 2019

DougalDarkly wrote:
27 Sep 2019
FFS why would anyone play guitar in 2019?! That thing's gotta be getting really f*cking old by now
I'm disgusted by Gibson that they refused to upgrade my SG when the strings went dull and lost their twang. It's as if they expect ME to change them.

gullum

27 Sep 2019

Raveshaper wrote:
26 Sep 2019

I've got a life to live and I don't want to waste it on things that don't make me happy anymore.
that is all you had to write in your long post

You know what makes me happy? Reason. Because it is not Cubase or Pro tools. It is Reason and the reason I'm not useing other DAW's is because they are not Reason

diminished
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2019

Raveshaper I'm sorry you're being emotionally carried away. Trust me, I get it. And R11 is a disappointment for many of us. In the coming months, the course of the company will either change or not. We'll see. The ball has been passed over back to them, they know what's up and for a long time so: in regards to countless feature requests, the shortcomings of everything but the Rack, what the community thinks about the "rewards", etc etc.

Just remember that this won't change what has already been given (Reason 10) and in the end, it's all just some software. Software we admittedly hold in high regards, but just some software. You own a copy and you may still use it the way you have been using it, if you'd like so of course. This update won't change a thing.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Ermitage

27 Sep 2019

It's like these people are just seeing how much you'll pay them if they keep repackaging the same reusable internal components behind different front panel graphics, then laughing in front of you as you start to catch on you've been tricked again.
That is indeed what they're doing. A lot of their new REs are just half-assed and rushed (with the exception of Complex-1) because they decided to create a premium package (Suite) with X amount of native REs that had to be made before 11 hit.

It just reeks of new public management.

EdGrip

27 Sep 2019

'kin hell, dude.

Maxsu

27 Sep 2019

Played around yesterday with the Scenic Hybrid Instrument and my first opinion about it, that thing was exactly what I was looking for - a gap between a Sampledsynth and Omnisphere but in a less expensive way. Don´t get me wrong, I feel the need of load your own samples in it but the FX Section and the simple controls on the Front are superb for playing around and record your automation with Midi Input. Will get more into it on the weekend :D

Creativemind

27 Sep 2019

Man that's one hell of long winded OP and that's coming from me lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

chimp_spanner

27 Sep 2019

You're assuming that everyone using Reason just isn't aware of other software. I've owned Cubase since version 2 on the Atari, and I've had every version since then, through VST, SX, Nuendo (I was young and poor, don't judge me) and now Pro 10. So I was *fully* aware of what Cubase was capable of when I started producing commercially in Reason about 4 years ago. Since then I've done sound design for Kontakt libraries that are in use by trailer houses and game studios, I've had a couple of film licenses, ad campaigns, sports promos, released an album that SOMEHOW made it briefly onto the Billboard electronic charts (must've been a quiet month ;) ). Reason is missing some things, absolutely. But they haven't stopped me from doing all that so, that's my experience. Evidently it's different to yours so, it is what it is. For the record, yes Cubase IS awesome. Interestingly, though, it had a reputation for being "amateur" until relatively recently. But I was always out there defending it. So I'm not shitting on it. It just hasn't been the right tool for me lately.

Honestly I'm sorry you've had a rough time. But if you think you can be happier in another DAW, by all means go and do it. Propellerhead/Reason Studios aren't trying to hurt you dude. They're just a bunch of guys, doing a job, making some software, paying their bills. I get that some people aren't happy with how they're going about that but we're not married to our DAWs (RE's...well I guess that's another matter). You're free to be polyamorous and go wander/explore. I'm looking at this Studio One crossgrade deal right now in fact! Because why not?

But please - and this really doesn't just apply to you - can we get some levelheadedness and dial down the drama and hysteria a bit? There's enough of that right now out there, in the real world. It was really kinda shocking to see the levels of vitriol and toxicity on release day from people who, it seems, would've been far happier spending their day **making music** in something that works for them.

itmuckel

27 Sep 2019

The reason why I settled for Reason 9 as my first DAW is that it had everything included that I needed to make music. Other DAWs felt like empty shells for VSTs. It didn't make sense to me to buy a DAW for ~400€ and then spend even more money on instruments.

Now I have checked out other DAWs and like/will stick to Studio One for all the reasons Raveshaper pointed out (good post btw).
What Studio One and no other DAW gives me though is the inspiration Reason gives me. I love routing stuff together and shape new sounds. You can't do that like you can do it in the rack. I also don't care for new instruments/REs, because the possibilities of the current rack are already quite limitless. :)

So while Reason 11 is a kick in the face for anyone using Reason exclusively (like I did too), it is finally removing the vendor lock-in from the rack. So I don't mind Reason as a DAW dying if I can keep the rack. But that's just like my opinion man.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2019

"Cubase has a randomize notes feature that allows you to generate and discover happy accidents that can boost creativity when you're having producer's block"

You already have this... It's called Alter notes and it's available in the tool window!

I keep saying this here... Learn and don't forget to use the f8 tool window. A lot of stuff that's been asked for the midi editor is there since forever!!!!

The other day there was someone saying that it was hard to tweak notes for strings because they couldn't connect the notes... There's a legato function in the Tool Window.

boingy

27 Sep 2019

EdGrip wrote:
27 Sep 2019
. This forum used to be the chill place compared to TGP, KVR etc. It is no longer the chill place.
I blame the number 11.
Number 10 is fat and rounded and happy. Everyone likes number 10. Everyone celebrates number 10.
Number 11 has always resented the extra attention number 10 gets. Number 11 is grumpy and attention seeking.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
27 Sep 2019
EdGrip wrote:
27 Sep 2019
. This forum used to be the chill place compared to TGP, KVR etc. It is no longer the chill place.
I blame the number 11.
Number 10 is fat and rounded and happy. Everyone likes number 10. Everyone celebrates number 10.
Number 11 has always resented the extra attention number 10 gets. Number 11 is grumpy and attention seeking.
I’m holding out for Reason 23.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Lempface

27 Sep 2019

Did you really just compare a sample based atmospheric driven instrument to a full blown softsynth?

You're mad...
Reason 11 Suite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Komplete Kontrol M32 | Maschine Mikro MK2 | Maschine Jam

jlgrimes

27 Sep 2019

Playing around Scenic, it didn't seem too bad. I thought the presets at least were great. The GUI was a little weird but reminds me of the NI Analog Dreams style of GUI.

Hive is a very different synth than Scenic.

Hive is more comparable to Europa than Scenic.

Creativemind

27 Sep 2019

jlgrimes wrote:
27 Sep 2019
Playing around Scenic, it didn't seem too bad. I thought the presets at least were great. The GUI was a little weird but reminds me of the NI Analog Dreams style of GUI.

Hive is a very different synth than Scenic.

Hive is more comparable to Europa than Scenic.
Dunno why we're comparing it with anything. Scenic is Scenic, Hive is Hive.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

• Information