Dropping the Weight

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Wobbleburger

27 Sep 2019

This was a good read (if a bit long). I think we can all agree to some degree with your points. I'll continue to use Reason because I've invested a lot of time and money into it. I will not be upgrading to Reason 11 as I do not see any benefit. I'll stick to my automation crossfades and make do with straight lines in the automation lane.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

BigPictureSound

27 Sep 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
27 Sep 2019
This was a good read (if a bit long). I think we can all agree to some degree with your points. I'll continue to use Reason because I've invested a lot of time and money into it. I will not be upgrading to Reason 11 as I do not see any benefit. I'll stick to my automation crossfades and make do with straight lines in the automation lane.
The funny thing to me is that linear lines are perfectly viable in the majority of use-cases vs logarithmic curves. I do however think the team should have released standard QOL features in 10. Curved automation isn’t even really a feature at this point but an expected tool in any modern DAW.

The technical debt from old code that I am sure is holding back fast development may have made this feel like a triumph for the dev team, but for users it’s too overdue and basic to be blocked from behind a paywall.

They really just need to release Reason Core that all other paid tiers build off so they can stream QOL updates without trying to stuff it in a paid update.

KEVMOVE02

27 Sep 2019

Raveshaper,
I won't be critical of your expression of thought, because we can't expand the social narrative to a fruitful outcome if we reject a viewpoint without first trying to understand it. What I will say that finding a balance between of expressing your passion while offering an equitable critique of a vs b, may improve your effectiveness at getting others to admit you have a valid point. For example, comparing Scenic vs Hive 2 would lead the reader to think Scenic was an upgrade to an existing product (when its not), which tarnishes the critique. An option could have been laying out the development path for Scenic to achieve Hive 2 level of performance and ease of use. Also, comparing the intro video for a new product to a feature video for a product in it second generation is sends a mixed message that might lead some to believe your intentions are biased.

I'm sure I didn't do a great job of conveying my thoughts, nor my encouragement for you to keep expressing yourself. Who knows, you my nail down a nice editorial gigs, simply because you had the courage to "put in the work".

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2019

The Scenic demos sound amazing :D

boingy

27 Sep 2019

I can't get away from a feeling the Scenic is a re-skinned combinator containing two Grains and a bunch of effects. Mind you, you could say the same about some of the other instruments in the shop.

chaosroyale

27 Sep 2019

Not even that, because grain already has sample loading. Scenic looks like a dumbed down pair of grains for 99 bucks. You could make something better, for free, in a few seconds, using the stock devices in Reason 10, which was kind of the point of Reason; or used to be.
boingy wrote:
27 Sep 2019
I can't get away from a feeling the Scenic is a re-skinned combinator containing two Grains and a bunch of effects. Mind you, you could say the same about some of the other instruments in the shop.

pushedbutton

27 Sep 2019

OP I might have watched this as a 15 minute youtube video while I was taking a shit but I have to agree, TLDR, I tried but my ADHD kicked in and I don't even have ADHD.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

ShawnG

27 Sep 2019

when the premise is a direct comparison of two instruments which are completely different from one another, it's hard to convince myself I need to read much of the OP.

U-he makes astounding stuff (that said, Hive is their only synth that I don't own, or have any interest in) So does props/RS.

The comparison would be more apt if it was between Hive and Europa, which at least are the same basic type of synth.

2chris

27 Sep 2019

Reason 11 is a tool. Without your creativity and time to make music, a DAW is nothing. You're using that time for negativity on things that are a distraction. I own a license for Cubase 10 PRO (50% off cross grade at anniversary sale otherwise I wouldn't have purchased it), and it's not the end all be all. Live 10 is my favorite DAW and it's not because it has the most features. The workflow and included stuff inspires me and allows me to work more frustration free than Cubase. I like Reason a lot, and while 11 is a let down because I personally wanted a different direction, I'm still excited to try it in Live and Cubase and get on with the tools from Reason I've been using over the years.

Mentioning Hive2 and comparing that product is an interesting turn. Hive 2 is excellent, and I'm a huge fan. Buy that product and use it in any daw, but that company has a far different philosophy than Reason Studios. Wanting them to change culture isn't something for us as consumers. You are so invested in this stuff, and I'm just saying be invested in your tools to further your art rather than to become a distraction. Knowing your tools well is a journey, so I understand your frustration in wanting certain things from developers - but it's a business - and I suggest you focus on the things you can control.

While Reason might be falling behind in the feature war, that's not the end all be all. Your success lies in you and doesn't depend on what Reason does or doesn't add as a feature. Hell, get more instruments and DAW's all you want if you trust other companies more. But it becomes a consumerism thing at some point, because you only need so much to make great music. Reason 1 was a tool that as a child allowed me to make music, and it created joy for me, and I never worried about it wasn't - because I can add other stuff if I felt that was important. As an adult Reason 10 allows me to make music or get ideas down. At the end of the day, the things I do are up to me, not the DAW. The business moves a company makes aren't up to me. Keep that in mind, and use the time you spent writing that huge post to use that energy for art rather than things you can't control.

Kalm

27 Sep 2019

Posts like this is necessary and reassuring because it puts in writing what Reason Studios have to tend to . . . or else? You see how this works. As a company, you can exist without your base. If your base is disturbed then the company either flunks or amends the issues.

Telling people to not fill out their reviews is asking for a bad thing here.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

BartBackowitz

27 Sep 2019

mcatalao wrote:
27 Sep 2019
"Cubase has a randomize notes feature that allows you to generate and discover happy accidents that can boost creativity when you're having producer's block"

You already have this... It's called Alter notes and it's available in the tool window!

I keep saying this here... Learn and don't forget to use the f8 tool window. A lot of stuff that's been asked for the midi editor is there since forever!!!!

The other day there was someone saying that it was hard to tweak notes for strings because they couldn't connect the notes... There's a legato function in the Tool Window.
Yes, and Alter notes is bad ass. There are also multiple players now in Reason that do as much if not more than my Cirklon, which is worth close to $3k on the used market. It's insane how much people complain about DAWs online. That is why I went and looked at his Cubase links. The entire comments section was people whining about Cubase. It's crazy people get this dramatic over software when it's like $129 or so to upgrade, and you don't even really have to to upgrade it yet. Last time I checked Chromeo was making records on a super old PC with an early 2000's version of Cubase. You can make incredible music with any DAW right now if you put the work in.

BartBackowitz

27 Sep 2019

bxbrkrz wrote:
27 Sep 2019
Reason Suite and U-He's offerings. Why can't we own both?
Somehow I wish I was as much in love with Reason as you, OP.
Yeah exactly, I don't really get that angle either. I have a project running right now with Repro 1 in R11. It's fine.

BigPictureSound

27 Sep 2019

BartBackowitz wrote:
27 Sep 2019
mcatalao wrote:
27 Sep 2019
"Cubase has a randomize notes feature that allows you to generate and discover happy accidents that can boost creativity when you're having producer's block"

You already have this... It's called Alter notes and it's available in the tool window!

I keep saying this here... Learn and don't forget to use the f8 tool window. A lot of stuff that's been asked for the midi editor is there since forever!!!!

The other day there was someone saying that it was hard to tweak notes for strings because they couldn't connect the notes... There's a legato function in the Tool Window.
Yes, and Alter notes is bad ass. There are also multiple players now in Reason that do as much if not more than my Cirklon, which is worth close to $3k on the used market. It's insane how much people complain about DAWs online. That is why I went and looked at his Cubase links. The entire comments section was people whining about Cubase. It's crazy people get this dramatic over software when it's like $129 or so to upgrade, and you don't even really have to to upgrade it yet. Last time I checked Chromeo was making records on a super old PC with an early 2000's version of Cubase. You can make incredible music with any DAW right now if you put the work in.
It’s true that what we can do today with modern software is amazing. I definitely look forward to, and anticipate the day when Reason becomes the best it can be, but until then I just keep trucking on.

As I mentioned previously, I own a ton of different software which has helped me realize that nothing is perfect. I am finishing a project right now that called for Logic Pro X, and while it has some amazing features, every time I have to deal with the mixer and setting up mix busses, or get some automation going, I kept wishing I was in Reason.

I love Logic, but man does it have its share of wtf is that doing there, or why the hell does this not work here. There is still a 6 year old bug that prevents notes from showing up on random clip regions when trying to pitch shift, so you can’t do squat unless you bounce the clip to a new wav file.

Just like Reason, it’s got its flaws- and that is just one example from one DAW. Anyways, if I hadn’t just bought in less than a year ago, I’d buy the update but I spent almost 700 between that and rack extensions so I am going to wait patiently for a sale to snag Suite.

RandyEspoda

28 Sep 2019

While I agree with most I've read from the OP, this is the quintessential matter (for REASON STUDIOS) to consider, contemplate, and expediate :
Nobody knows what the direction is for this product and for this company.

That alone is cause for alarm.
They MUST, and I repeat they MUST at least inform us in a CLEAR and DIRECT language, and thus through
transparent communication what direction they intend to take with their music station slash half-DAW and just be honest. No charades.
So that people like myself, who have little funds to begin with, know whether it is actually worth continuing to invest in their product or not.

The confusion, and moreover the discombobulation of the Reason community over this current upgrade is just unacceptable.
Many have been investing for years, with an eventual (half-)promise and assurance that they'd work towards full 'daw-ability',
which had been progressing at least since then, although enough issues which still linger should have been fixed by now, and many features still lacking
should have been added already. But then here comes R11 which fully divides our camp, our thoughts and assurances, our hopes and expectations for what is now
(unfortunately) called Reason Studios.

For the first time since I've started with Reason, I am having serious doubts about its future, that all invested has been futile.
So yes, we want them to 'at least' speak out openly about Reason's future so that we know exactly where we stand.

:reason:

Loque

28 Sep 2019

No company must and will inform you of their strategies. In most cases they are confidential. And that is ok, otherwise the competitor know what you plan to do.

I can understand that ppl want to know more, but sometimes the ppl should take a different view if their expectations and requests are really good for a company.
Reason12, Win10

Iapetus 9

28 Sep 2019

Howdy! I'd like to take a moment of your time and talk about our lord and savior- Cubase.

That about sums it up. Yawn.
38L > 51D every time.

dvdrtldg

28 Sep 2019

I appreciate the OP taking the time to set all that out, and it's an interesting read. Certainly more interesting than all the bedwetting from "loyal customers" who are taking Reason 11 as a personal insult and throwing all their toys out of the pram

I'll probably demo 11 at some point, just out of curiosity, but completely agree that it seems like a mess of a release and Scenic isn't exactly giving me sleepless nights in anticipation. The workflow improvements are amazingly slight

But at the end of the day, I keep coming back to the rack. The rack!! It's a miracle of design, and Reason is going to have to disappoint me a whole lot worse than this to make me consider leaving it behind

I get that not everyone makes music the same way, but for me, hitting Tab and hooking shit up to other shit is just a huge creative rush. 10 years and I haven't even remotely started to get sick of it

ortxedys

28 Sep 2019

Cue the post justifying the move onto another DAW. I mean, there's passion behind this one. I'll give you that..

Carpainter

28 Sep 2019

dvdrtldg wrote:
28 Sep 2019
But at the end of the day, I keep coming back to the rack. The rack!! It's a miracle of design, and Reason is going to have to disappoint me a whole lot worse than this to make me consider leaving it behind

I get that not everyone makes music the same way, but for me, hitting Tab and hooking shit up to other shit is just a huge creative rush. 10 years and I haven't even remotely started to get sick of it
I've been using Reason since version 1, and despite the many limitations I've had to put up with over the years (like no VST support for 16 years and lackluster VST performance when it was finally added), the rack keeps me coming back. I'm perpetually amazed that no other DAW developer has bothered to include something similar. Is it really that hard to draw the back of a device and put some virtual plugs on it?

Oquasec

28 Sep 2019

Since Reason is standalone, and a vst...I don't see much reason to switch unless you are just done in general. Not sure how long these guys are in for, but ima be keepin an eye out for as long as this is a thing.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

moneykube

28 Sep 2019

Loque wrote:
28 Sep 2019
No company must and will inform you of their strategies. In most cases they are confidential. And that is ok, otherwise the competitor know what you plan to do.

I can understand that ppl want to know more, but sometimes the ppl should take a different view if their expectations and requests are really good for a company.
add touch screen subtractor screws calibrated for inter dimensional phasing between oscillating dimensions utillizing superior alien ai that allows micro modulations threw franktures in the time continum... turn screw left... blackhole controlled distortion matrixs... turn other screw right... tap your shoes , end up in kansas and reason out... would be an awesome Carrot to entice people to buy it even though they don't have to keep their promises as stated in url "as is" anything implied as a guarantee or warranty is void and null until the alien overlords return

a good request and profitable as well imo... but I have been wrong before. :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Proboscis

28 Sep 2019

RandyEspoda wrote:
28 Sep 2019
They MUST, and I repeat they MUST at least inform us in a CLEAR and DIRECT language, and thus through
transparent communication what direction they intend to take with their music station slash half-DAW and just be honest. No charades.
They don't need to tell their customers anything of future developments. And I don't think they could tell you any plans beyond 12 months, since Reason Studios is 'in transition' towards whoever wants to buy the company down the path.

Maybe you should go speak to Yamaha.
RandyEspoda wrote:
28 Sep 2019
For the first time since I've started with Reason, I am having serious doubts about its future, that all invested has been futile.
So yes, we want them to 'at least' speak out openly about Reason's future so that we know exactly where we stand.
Rest assured that everything you have paid for to date will still work as intended, as they were at the time of purchase. If you were buying on an unstated forecast of what things might become, well that's a little crazy.

And how precisely are your purchases an 'investment'? I don't believe any version or rack extension is going to go up in value. We're not talking about rare guitars here, it's a piece of software.

Anyway, none of Reason's limitations are stopping you from producing that next hit single. :roll:

moneykube

28 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
28 Sep 2019
Anyway, none of Reason's limitations are stopping you from producing that next hit single. :roll:
and that is the 2nd screw function mentioned above... win win :lol:
Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 9.52.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 9.52.08 PM.png (178.83 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

CephaloPod

29 Sep 2019

Drama queens. Everywhere.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

Proboscis

29 Sep 2019

moneykube wrote:
28 Sep 2019
add touch screen subtractor screws calibrated for inter dimensional phasing between oscillating dimensions utillizing superior alien ai that allows micro modulations threw franktures in the time continum... turn screw left... blackhole controlled distortion matrixs... turn other screw right... tap your shoes , end up in kansas and reason out... would be an awesome Carrot to entice people to buy it even though they don't have to keep their promises as stated in url "as is" anything implied as a guarantee or warranty is void and null until the alien overlords return
You may be on to something here. I always assumed there was an alternate but immediate and present existence in which the subtractor screws fell into, since it's as if by MAGIC they can be recovered back into this world from not existing, and re-affixed to the rack. Maybe we should be looking at Reason 10 in parallel universe mode... it might have a better sequencer :lol:

• Information