Reason 11 Suite License Transfer Question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2019

Zac wrote:
28 Sep 2019
MrFigg wrote:
28 Sep 2019

Zac...I know and you know.
I know what we think we know but we can't know for sure.

I think this needs an official answer and I'm going to keep asking.

I just think anyone buying Reason Suite should know that if they sell their license what exactly will be transferred to the buyer.

It will happen at some point and IMO could cause some issues if a seller advertises selling a Reason Suite license and the buyer doesn't get the included 16 REs.
Absolutely. But I also think I know and you know the answer as to if we’ll get an answer :).

But yeah...you’d think if you bought a Reason Suite license you should be able to transfer a Reason Suite License.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Zac

28 Sep 2019

MrFigg wrote:
28 Sep 2019
Zac wrote:
28 Sep 2019

I know what we think we know but we can't know for sure.

I think this needs an official answer and I'm going to keep asking.

I just think anyone buying Reason Suite should know that if they sell their license what exactly will be transferred to the buyer.

It will happen at some point and IMO could cause some issues if a seller advertises selling a Reason Suite license and the buyer doesn't get the included 16 REs.
Absolutely. But I also think I know and you know the answer as to if we’ll get an answer :).
It is a perfectly legitimate question. It has a factual answer: Yes, when a Reason Suite license is transferred, the buyer will get the included 16 REs; or No, when a Reason Suite license is transferred, the buyer will not get the included 16 REs.

I am determined to have an official answer to my reasonable question.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2019

Zac wrote:
28 Sep 2019
MrFigg wrote:
28 Sep 2019

It is a perfectly legitimate question. It has a factual answer: Yes, when a Reason Suite license is transferred, the buyer will get the included 16 REs; or No, when a Reason Suite license is transferred, the buyer will not get the included 16 REs.

I am determined to have an official answer to my reasonable question.
I agree. And I think they should make it clear. You didn’t buy a Reason 11 license. You bought a Reason Suite License which should be transferable as just that.
They could probably have gotten around this by doing an “Exclusive Offer to Reason 11 owners. Buy Reason Studios RE bundle for only €119. Then they wouldn’t have had this question hanging over them.
Keep pushing man.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Skimrok

28 Sep 2019

Yeah man keep pushing because this needs to be clear one way or another , if it’s positive I be running to get Reason 11 Suite :D

RS don’t leave us hanging about this please :geek:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

SebAudio

28 Sep 2019

When you buy Suite, you have a Suite license in your account (I asked on another forum). Now I suppose that likely this license « opens » the 16 REs in your account. When you transfert it, the 16 REs are no more in your account (except those you owned before).

Loque

28 Sep 2019

SebAudio wrote:
28 Sep 2019
(except those you owned before).
Hum.... Who knows 🤔
Reason12, Win10

Zac

28 Sep 2019

SebAudio wrote:
28 Sep 2019
When you buy Suite, you have a Suite license in your account (I asked on another forum). Now I suppose that likely this license « opens » the 16 REs in your account. When you transfert it, the 16 REs are no more in your account (except those you owned before).
This is why I'm asking for an official answer.
In your scenario if the seller loses the REs and the buyer gains them that means the whole of what you bought is transferred. Which IMO is satisfactory.

However, if the seller loses the REs and the buyer doesn't gain them, then only a portion of what you bought is transferred AND you've lost the 16 REs you paid for... needless to say, unsatisfactory all round.

But even if, perhaps the most likely thing happens, the seller keeps the REs and the buyer doesn't gain them, only a portion of what you bought is transferred and therefore the relative value of what you can sell is decreased. Whether this is satisfactory or unsatisfactory is much more open to argument.

Hence me wanting to know the answer! Personally for me, the first scenario is much more attractive than the third. If the second is true then there will be a lot of unhappy customers.

Skimrok

30 Sep 2019

Just got a reply from RS

I'm afraid that Rack Extensions can't be transfered to another account

so any suite customers cant transfer the RE even though it was a package

oh well at least we know now 100%
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

riemac

30 Sep 2019

Skimrok wrote:
30 Sep 2019
Just got a reply from RS

Thanks for the Information. I wonder if this means on the other hand that we can still upgrade in the future from Reason 11 Suite to Suite 12 with a normal upgrade for 129 EUR. In my understanding this should be the case because after this info Reason 11 Suite is nothing more than Reason standard with an additional RE bundle.

I would still like to have a official statement from ReasonStudios about this, but still no answere on my support request.

DougalDarkly

30 Sep 2019

Deleted
Last edited by DougalDarkly on 09 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

30 Sep 2019

riemac wrote:
30 Sep 2019
Skimrok wrote:
30 Sep 2019
Just got a reply from RS

Thanks for the Information. I wonder if this means on the other hand that we can still upgrade in the future from Reason 11 Suite to Suite 12 with a normal upgrade for 129 EUR. In my understanding this should be the case because after this info Reason 11 Suite is nothing more than Reason standard with an additional RE bundle.

I would still like to have a official statement from ReasonStudios about this, but still no answere on my support request.
viewtopic.php?p=460126#p460126

Zac

30 Sep 2019

Skimrok wrote:
30 Sep 2019
Just got a reply from RS

Thanks Skimrok. Glad they gave an answer.

sdst
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2019

people buy software thinking of selling them later. Lol

I buy software like pizzas, never thinking of selling them

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2019

sdst wrote:
30 Sep 2019

Same here. I have a problem with the word "investment" when it comes to REs and VSTs as my understanding of the term investment is buying something with the intention of selling it later at a higher price. I guess it could also mean that by investing in an effect or instrument then your potential for making money through music/ production etc. is increased? But hell...it's just pizzas here too man.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Skimrok

30 Sep 2019

sdst wrote:
30 Sep 2019

totally missed what I was asking or what needed to be clarified, actually on that note this is now been settled :thumbs_up:

Philup

30 Sep 2019

Its the principle of fair and honest business practices.

So you don't see the inconsistent and questionable marketing around the known fact that you can sell your Reason Standard licence with all of the included devices and downgrade to a lite licence in comparison the the obscured fact that, should you buy the Suite Licence, you are not able to follow the same downgrade path by being able to transfer the included plugins as you had purchased them?

Several of the current devices that are included in Intro & Standard are RE's that are not baked into the Core software yet they are included in the licence package so it is not a physical limitation. It is calculated and it is intentional.
They intentionally decided to included Radical Piano as part of the Standard Reason Package when at first was sold separately.
This is proof enough that RE's can be tied to the core licence and transferred as a package.

All of the Plugins in each of the the packages belong to Reason Studios there is no legal limitation here that would prevent them from allowing the resale and transfer of this product which is the supposed limitation for 3rd party RE's.

They are marketing Suite as a "Package" same as standard and lite
Package.JPG
Package.JPG (17.42 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
Their words not ours.

There is NOWHERE on their website stating that plugins in the Suite Licence are not transferable. Instead, they paste a product comparison right next to the other packages with no asterix or foot note educating buyers that there is a difference between the ability to transfer included Standard and Suite plugins.

I have been a professional in sales for 25 years and I have quit working for companies with these kinds of shady snake oil business practices based on reputation and principle. They should be ashamed.

riemac

30 Sep 2019

joeyluck wrote:
30 Sep 2019
riemac wrote:
30 Sep 2019

viewtopic.php?p=460126#p460126
Thanks, I know the statement from Matthias, but it is from August. I would have thought, that they found the answeres for those questions until the release. I am not willing to pay 249 EUR for Suite until I know what this has for implications for future upgrades.

joeyluck

30 Sep 2019

riemac wrote:
30 Sep 2019
Thanks, I know the statement from Matthias, but it is from August. I would have thought, that they found the answeres for those questions until the release. I am not willing to pay 249 EUR for Suite until I know what this has for implications for future upgrades.
Well I think a large part of the question that remains is what does Reason Studios release before Reason 12? Lets say much of their focus ends up being on Reason as a DAW and Rack Plugin and they don't release as many REs themselves over that time (of about two years is the average span between versions). They surely won't have as much to offer for R12 Suite in terms of their own REs, which R11 Suite is an accumulation of seven years of Propellerhead/Reason Studios REs.

So lets guess low and say they only have one or two REs over the lifetime of R11. How much is that worth for an upgrade? As a user, if they release anything over that time that I want, I'm not going to wait two years to try to save a few dollars rather than purchasing something that is useful to me then. So then what the average return customer gets out of the upgrade becomes even more slim.

It will be hard to compete with an upgrade price of $250 for what users can get with this upgrade. And maybe they priced it so graciously accounting for what many users might already have. But customers will forget and won't see it that way in the future, for sure. Customers will compare what they got for $250 in the past (particularly those getting the full haul now). So, I think there is a lot to consider and much left to be seen over the lifetime of R11 and what REs they release before anything can be determined and announced. My guess is this question will be solidly answered when R12 is announced.

• Information