Europa key parameter range

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Bjørn Felle

21 Sep 2019

Hi all

I want to route the Key parameter to Engine 1 pan on Europa, so that each note is in a different pan position. It works, but the key range is extreme so you only really notice it when the effect is like 4 octaves apart. I want a melody playing across the whole pan range within the key range of about an octave. But I can't figure out how to modify the range of the key paramater. The mod amount just affects the extent to which it is panned. Key in octave is closer, but it wraps back round to the hard left if you go above B in any given octave, whereas I want to be able to have the highest note I'm playing panned to the right. Any ideas how I can achieve this?

Thanks in advance!

Bjørn Felle

21 Sep 2019

CV maths VST saves the day again! Here's how I did it:

Europa mod matrix sends Key to CV 1 out (100% amount)
Convert this CV to audio
Route the converted CV audio into maths VST left input
Maths VST equations both channels: l*2
Convert Maths VST audio output left to CV
Route this CV signal to Europa CV 1 in
Europa mod matrix route CV 1 in to Eng1 Pan (100% amount)

This effectively doubles the key parameter this reducing its range and causing it to pan across the full L/R range but across a narrower range of keys. The value being multiplied in the Maths VST can be changed to alter the range. There might be an easier way, but this definitely worked.

selig
RE Developer

21 Sep 2019

Bjørn Felle wrote:
21 Sep 2019
Hi all

I want to route the Key parameter to Engine 1 pan on Europa, so that each note is in a different pan position. It works, but the key range is extreme so you only really notice it when the effect is like 4 octaves apart. I want a melody playing across the whole pan range within the key range of about an octave. But I can't figure out how to modify the range of the key paramater. The mod amount just affects the extent to which it is panned. Key in octave is closer, but it wraps back round to the hard left if you go above B in any given octave, whereas I want to be able to have the highest note I'm playing panned to the right. Any ideas how I can achieve this?

Thanks in advance!
Try doing a multiple assign to the pan parameter, which will increase the sensitivity of the parameter. For example, for the range of C1 (left) to C5 (right), use 100 plus 87, and C3 will be center panned.
For an octave you'll need to use higher values and maybe more mod matrix slots. 2 slots each with 100 each will cover two octaves, again with C3 in the middle (to be precise, you only need the fourth value to be 70, not 100).
Selig Audio, LLC

Bjørn Felle

21 Sep 2019

selig wrote:
21 Sep 2019
Try doing a multiple assign to the pan parameter, which will increase the sensitivity of the parameter. For example, for the range of C1 (left) to C5 (right), use 100 plus 87, and C3 will be center panned.
For an octave you'll need to use higher values and maybe more mod matrix slots. 2 slots each with 100 each will cover two octaves, again with C3 in the middle (to be precise, you only need the fourth value to be 70, not 100).
Ahh, interesting technique! And should mean I don't have to use external devices to scale the value. I can just try removing the mod mapping that is there now and reassigning multiple rows to see if it will work, and if it does I can just delete the external devices I added. Though, I did find that using the Maths VST allowed me to tweak the pan range extremely precisely. (l*1.5)-0.2 is sounding very nice as the algorithm at the moment :puf_bigsmile:

Bjørn Felle

21 Sep 2019

@selig oh yeah man, that fucking works so nicely

Bjørn Felle

21 Sep 2019

Thanks man ;)

• Information