Reason and Polyphonic Aftertouch

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tanni

21 Sep 2019

Hello,
I want to buy a Keyboard with Polyphonic-Aftertouch like the new Hydrasynth and the CME-X Key.
I have vsti like Zebra, Hive, and others that can receive this midi-data, but I read somewhere that the Host DAW have to support this too.
Could someone tell me, if Reason receive and transfer the Poly-Aftertouch data to vsti ??
Have someone tested this ?
thanks.

selig
RE Developer

22 Sep 2019

tanni wrote:
21 Sep 2019
Hello,
I want to buy a Keyboard with Polyphonic-Aftertouch like the new Hydrasynth and the CME-X Key.
I have vsti like Zebra, Hive, and others that can receive this midi-data, but I read somewhere that the Host DAW have to support this too.
Could someone tell me, if Reason receive and transfer the Poly-Aftertouch data to vsti ??
thanks.
Reason does not support poly after touch, and as such there is no way I'm aware of to work around this limitation. It's similar to VST3 support - without it, you simply cannot run a VST3 in Reason until the app supports it.
Selig Audio, LLC

Catblack

22 Sep 2019

selig wrote:
22 Sep 2019
tanni wrote:
21 Sep 2019
Hello,
thanks.
Reason does not support poly after touch, and as such there is no way I'm aware of to work around this limitation. It's similar to VST3 support - without it, you simply cannot run a VST3 in Reason until the app supports it.
It can be detected in the Remote codec and routed from there. Anything defined as an Item, used in the remotemap, that is. Because my kids love hitting the hardware setup button, I thought I had a slug of code for my Launchpad codec that changed poly aftertouch messages into channel aftertouch messages, but upon review it's not there, just a placeholder and a TO DO note. Maybe the conversion code got written and committed in my gituhb. (Though fwiw it looks like the Panorama remotemap does interesting things with channel aftertouch. hmmm)

But in theory your codec could define the Item for channel aftertouch, and then in your remotemap in the master keyboard scope you'd have the aftertouch there. Then in function remote_process_midi(event) you'd detect the poly aftertouch messages and convert them to channel aftertouch and send them to that item.

But you'll have way more poly aftertouch messages and you'll probably trigger Reason's 'too many midi messages' warning. It won't be from your codec per se. (Mine is highly optimized and just looking at it now I see a way to make the whole thing run just a bit faster.)

Anyhow, my point is that the poly messages do come in, but then there's no way to do anything with them (other than to convert to channel AT, or modulation or something....) But there's a lot of them, and Reason won't like it.

Sorry if this sounds disjointed, hot day and we are getting the kids ready for the beach!
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

ljekio

22 Sep 2019

You can to use P-AT for separate keys.
As example I made codec for Roland HPD-10 with 10 pads and P-AT work for every pads separatly as controller.

Item Aftertouch M1 value 0 65
Item Aftertouch M2 value 4 67
Item Aftertouch M3 value 10 73
Item Aftertouch M4 value 10 73
Item Aftertouch M5 value 10 73
Item Aftertouch S1 value 10 73
Item Aftertouch S2 value 10 73
Item Aftertouch S3 value 10 73
Item Aftertouch S4 value 10 73
Item Aftertouch S5 value 10 73
Item ChAftertouch value 10 73

----

Map a? 26 xx Aftertouch M1 x 0 0
Map a? 30 xx Aftertouch M2 x 0 0
Map a? 29 xx Aftertouch M4 x 0 0
Map a? 24 xx Aftertouch M5 x 0 0
Map a? 2E xx Aftertouch M3 x 0 0
Map a? 25 xx Aftertouch S1 x 0 0
Map a? 31 xx Aftertouch S2 x 0 0
Map a? 2D xx Aftertouch S3 x 0 0
Map a? 39 xx Aftertouch S4 x 0 0
Map a? 33 xx Aftertouch S5 x 0 0
Map b? 03 xx ChAftertouch x 0 0

And that controllers you can transfer to vst through remotemap.
But sorry, Im unfamilliar with Hydrasynth and what P-AT there.

tanni

23 Sep 2019

Ok, I understand, thanks for the help answers.
Maybe I will use another workaround for this overall, because a friend told me today, that Poly-Aftertouch could be a LOT of Midi-Data and I maybe get some other problems with that too.
So he gave me the tip: for now try to make it with a Keyboard-Split. For left hand playing and right hand playing. So I have two options for Channel-Aftertouch. Two same instruments with the same patch in a combinator with a Keyboard-Split at maybe C4. Now I can play the under and upper part with separate Channel-Aftertouch possibility.
I will try that today. Maybe thats a solution and good compromise for me currently.

• Information