Dr. Octo-Rex question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Deanricks

20 Sep 2019

Hello,

I have a sample i'm trying to use in Dr. Octo-Rex. What I do is that I take the wav file itself, load it up into reason, and bounce it to a rex loop. That should be that, but it isn't.

When I put my new REX loop in Dr. Octo-Rex, it adds this split second of silence to the end of the loop I can't seem to get rid of. I edited the original wav file in Audacity, I don't know if that's the cause of the problem. Either way, the extra silence always comes up as a final loop slice when I edit the wav then load it into the loop player. Selecting the loop slice at the end of the wave file in edit mode in Reason and deleting it doesn't help. No matter what I do, it's still there.

Thanks to this, the file doesn't loop properly, having a split second of silence at the end of each loop cycle.

Is this caused by Audacity? Is there any way to get rid of this bit of silence at the end of the loop in Octo-Rex itself?

Thanks,
--Dean

Ahornberg

20 Sep 2019

maybe posting your wav-file and rex-file and some screenshots would help

Deanricks

20 Sep 2019

Didn't know I could do that. :puf_smile:

The sample itself is a quick sample of UVB-76 that I want to use. I could post the screenshot, but not the .rx2 or .wav files, so here they are in Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zChhH ... -o1wgGwl_I

Hopefully, you folx can help me figure out what i'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance! :)

--Dean
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (239.78 KiB) Viewed 1486 times

diminished
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2019

Edit: that last one is always there. I'm investigating again and deleted what I said. It's weird, I can't bounce it to rex..
Last edited by diminished on 20 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

diminished
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2019

:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

IFR

20 Sep 2019

Got the same thing using your sample off your drive.

What if you trim the original, unedited sample, in the reason timeline, then bounce to rex?
Maybe audacity was doing something weird.

diminished
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2019

Okay I got it.

You have to Ctrl-drag the borders of the sample first and match the grid/bpm, then bounce & import to DrOcto.
rexloopoopoopoop.JPG
rexloopoopoopoop.JPG (72.06 KiB) Viewed 1441 times

Mastrcode

20 Sep 2019

Maybe this is a bpm problem. I mean, the original wav sample has a different bpm than the bpm set in Reason's sequencer. In your case it looks like the sample has a faster bpm and is shorter than the 6 bars shown in your picture. Bouncing to rex creates a rex file which will have the same bpm info as set in your Reason project. So the rex maybe then has a wrong bpm info and because of this there will be silence added at the end of the loop. If you timestretch the sample to the full 6 bars before bouncing to rex gives you then the right bpm info for the rex file. Or if you dont want to stretch the sample because you don't wanna loose the original quality, disable its stretching and try to match the bpm of the sequencer instead to get the full 6 bars before bouncing to rex. maybe that helps.

reggie1979

20 Sep 2019

Maybe, it's a "we're way off in 2019" problem.

I said it, I love reason but I feel it's WAY out of date.

Deanricks

20 Sep 2019

Thank you everyone! I took all your advice, and it worked! THANKS! :puf_smile:

--Dean

Ahornberg

21 Sep 2019

The Reason Help gives the explanation:

Adjust the audio clip length to the closest full Beat.
This way you make sure that the REX Loop will sound the same as the original audio clip.
If the clip is not adjusted to a full Beat, Reason will automatically expand the clip end to the closest full Beat during the bounce operation.

• Information