Why so few presets for reason devices ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Rompla

20 Sep 2019

Just wondering about reason 11 by “reason studios” - there said it for 1st time - still props to me
The reason devices in general including the players and new re devices have an underwhelming amount of presets in the library
Most developers have at least 100 + patches/ presets -
Hoping that version 11 improves dramatically as I find you can deconstruct a patch and work out how to create a patch and form the sound
Anyone trying the beta know if reason 11 has more presets ?
Thanks

Rompla

20 Sep 2019

Ok except europa - which has tons

Jagwah

20 Sep 2019

Rompla wrote:
20 Sep 2019
The reason devices in general including the players and new re devices have an underwhelming amount of presets in the library
Did you know people make loads of patches then zip them up into the 'refill' format? Loads of free and paid ones have been made over the years, google and you'll see. Otherwise there's a page on Reason Studios (there I said it too :) ) website here: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/brow ... at=refills

boingy

20 Sep 2019

Jagwah wrote:
20 Sep 2019
Rompla wrote:
20 Sep 2019
Did you know people make loads of patches then zip them up into the 'refill' format? Loads of free and paid ones have been made over the years, google and you'll see. Otherwise there's a page on Reason Studios (there I said it too :) ) website here: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/brow ... at=refills
Yeah, but you can't get them out of the refill and put them with the other ones so you have to seek them out with the browser, assuming that you've remembered that they are there. A patch librarian. Now there's an idea.

I agree that the stock devices should have more presets. Can't they employ one of Rob Papen's team for the afternoon? They produce thousands of patches for their stuff.

diminished
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2019

Grain is terribly understaffed in terms of stock presets. So many samples included in Reason, but so few Grain patches. It wouldn't even take much space.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Oquasec

20 Sep 2019

The propellerhead shop has so many it's like looking at native instruments website

They even let you make your own refills which is just even more ridiculous
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Rompla

20 Sep 2019

Yes but they are a another outlay of hard earned cash can you trial them or do you just take the gamble
IMO just not enough stock supplied presets with the DAW
All VSTs have 3rd party presets - NI massive has tons but it always comes with a hefty load of supplies ones with your initial outlay
Complex 1 comes with like 20 presets maximum

Oquasec

20 Sep 2019

Mainstream synths usually get more coverage, more coverage= more presets more people who know how to use them makin more and more and more until you get the massive situation.
Since massive/thor/subtractor/zebra are so old they prolly have 8000 presets after a decade of producers.

I think Reaktor might have a similar issues with 80% of it's ensembles cuz of the whole...it's Reaktor thing.
Producer/Programmer.

Proboscis

20 Sep 2019

Rompla wrote:
20 Sep 2019
Yes but they are a another outlay of hard earned cash can you trial them or do you just take the gamble
IMO just not enough stock supplied presets with the DAW
Does the hard work of another person hold no value to you ? There are some very good patch developers out there if you want to expand on the stock sounds. Although I haven't used any of his wares, DopeTank sells most of his for under 5 EURO. I personally think that's too cheap, and mentioned that to him in another thread.

And there are so many FREE patches for stock devices, it's ridiculous. While I agree that it's a pain to have a lot of Refill libraries that cannot be deconstructed, a basic Google search would have uncovered some massive packs for stock devices, such as

400 Europa Expressionism patches. Free
3900 Thor's Hammer patches.Free
1001 Subtractor Patches. Free
1001 Maelstrom Patches. Free

https://www.reasonexperts.com/europa-ex ... efill.html
https://www.reasonexperts.com/reason-re ... ammer.html
https://producerbundle.com/product/1001 ... hes-refill
https://producerbundle.com/product/1001 ... hes-refill

If you're unable to make music with a combination of the thousands of stock patches, plus the four free packs of 5,600 patches mentioned above, then perhaps the problem lies with the artist, and not the tools.

gaclab

20 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
20 Sep 2019
If you're unable to make music with a combination of the thousands of stock patches, plus the four free packs of 5,600 patches mentioned above, then perhaps the problem lies with the artist, and not the tools.
But it's patch #5601 that's going to make this track a hit. :D
Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 4.5 | Mac OSX 10.13.4 w/ 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 12 GB Ram (dinosaur) | Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 | M-Audio Keystation 49es | Akai MPD218 | KRK Rokit 5s

MannequinRaces

21 Sep 2019

Rompla wrote:
20 Sep 2019
Get out of here with your freaking nonsense. Complex-1 has around 200 patches... :thumbs_down: :roll:

Reasonable man

21 Sep 2019

I go the other way . Reason instruments in particular ...and alot of the effects and even utilies have far too many patches . Take thor, Malstrom and a few others ...alot of those patches are nasty business, horrible stuff that would ruin many a half decent track and it dont even matter that you spruce them up in a combi and add lots of effects .
I think there are alot of great patches in the combi section of the Fsb and a good few are in the Reason sounds folder (in combies).
I get that alot of patches are there to show off the range of a instrument but it can take a long while to 'unhear' them ( :x ) and because their in a refill format you cant bin them either.
Best to make your own and put em in your own folders..easier said than done but its like tot worth it.
I dont think other daws have tons of patches either .their just better labelled and easier to find . Logic pro has alot of quality patches as far as i can remember and well oraganised ..but what i remember is that a large percentage of em push you towards those trap/R'n'b/Edm generes so you start sounding like everyone and everything else which in fairness is the opposite to Reason

Oquasec

21 Sep 2019

I think the patchmaking part is the community's job
Producer/Programmer.

KEVMOVE02

21 Sep 2019

Alas, the days when a programmable device + artistic vision = user created content par excellence are but a mythologic entity. And to think, Kodi Lee is diminished every time someone say “ you do amazing things, in spite of your disabilities and disadvantages!” We are the poorer for our ignorance.

ShawnG

21 Sep 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
21 Sep 2019
Rompla wrote:
20 Sep 2019
Get out of here with your freaking nonsense. Complex-1 has around 200 patches... :thumbs_down: :roll:
Indeed. to the OP: go into your Complex-1 and click on the patch name window. there, above the 18 "best of" patches that are loaded by default, hit the "browse" button... Or just load your browser and actually look for them. Most newer RE's have presets organized in folders, with only a selection available in the window at first.

ShelLuser

22 Sep 2019

I too was going to comment about the misrepresentation of the amount of Complex patches when I noticed someone beat me to it. That comment is plain out bogus indeed. Which makes me wonder if the OP is actually looking in the right places for those presets?

I don't really use presets all that much, I prefer to make my own, but I don't recognize myself in the story above.

A List pop chords... an easy 50+ presets, PX7 FM synth... yah, that one has less than 10 out of the box but you should not forget that you can import existing patches from the real PX7 into the rack making the amount... thousands. Radical keys, I'd say around 20 but then again this isn't the kind of instrument that allows for massive tweaking. So obviously the presets will be limited.

Parsec.. back to 100+ again.

I think there's a misunderstanding here (or at least it looks like that to me). Complex devices like Parsec and Complex-1 will have hundreds of patches, easily. But other devices which provide less tweakability will obviously also provide less patches. Because it would be useless to have several patches for several positions of one single knob. Quantity does not make quality.

All in all, I don't see a problem here to be honest...
--- :reason:

• Information