Question about Sample Rate

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Proboscis

19 Sep 2019

Hi Everybody

I'm making a bunch of samples, and while it's good practice to go with a better sample rate when exporting, I wonder, what is the internal sample rate - ie; I am recording the MIDI tracks to audio tracks withing the sequencer, then exporting them. As Reason keeps whatever it records to track internally, rather than to a file (as some other DAWs do) I've no way of checking

Should I be setting up my project file preferences before I proceed ? And if so, how do I change the bit depth ?

antic604

19 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Should I be setting up my project file preferences before I proceed ? And if so, how do I change the bit depth ?
Check the manual - it's all there in "Importing and Exporting Audio" chapter:
http://docs.propellerheads.se/reason10/ ... wwhelp.htm

Proboscis

19 Sep 2019

antic604 wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Proboscis wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Check the manual - it's all there in "Importing and Exporting Audio" chapter:
http://docs.propellerheads.se/reason10/ ... wwhelp.htm
Indeed, I have RTFM before posting - but it does not seem to suggest what the internal recording defaults are. By this I mean recording MIDI to an audio track. Does this tie in with the audio interface preferences ? My AI supports up to 96kHz, 24-bit.

For what it's worth, I am recording the individual outs from the A-List drum plugin

selig
RE Developer

19 Sep 2019

The hardware you're using determines the same rate, so there isn't really an "internal" sample rate. Look in the Audio Prefs to see what the current sample rate is set at.
Selig Audio, LLC

boingy

19 Sep 2019

Work at whatever final quality you want the samples to be. It will be fine.

chaosroyale

22 Sep 2019

It sounds like you are not clear on the difference between sample rate and bit depth.

Sample Rate: Reasons "default" can be set in the program preferences under "audio" and you can choose from whatever rates your audio card supports. I recommend 44.1 or 48, whichever your final product will be. There is literally no advantage going higher except for a couple of very specific sampling techniques involving slowing down of ultrasonic frequencies such as for documentaries about bats or something.

Bit depth: Like all modern DAWs, Reason works internally at 32 bit floating point, which has far more dynamic range than is reproducible in the physical world. It can export to 24 or 16 and you can choose this every time you render.

Use 24 bit if you are making pro-level masters to minimize noise floor and give you a ton of headroom. 16 bit is more than good enough for final products, as long as you pay attention to your headroom and clipping. Most hi-fi systems -even expensive ones- can reproduce less than the full dynamic range of a properly recorded CD.

Some "internet experts" will tell you that samples are better at 192khz and that DAWs need 32 bit export. They are full of shit. Here's a detailed scientific explanation of why. https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Proboscis wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Hi Everybody

I'm making a bunch of samples, and while it's good practice to go with a better sample rate when exporting, I wonder, what is the internal sample rate - ie; I am recording the MIDI tracks to audio tracks withing the sequencer, then exporting them. As Reason keeps whatever it records to track internally, rather than to a file (as some other DAWs do) I've no way of checking

Boombastix
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2019

Industry standard for loops and hits is: 24-bit, 44.1kHz. You set rate in preferences. You can set both upon exporting in the dialog that pops up.
If you do some high end orchestral stuff you can do 24-bit 48kHz.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Proboscis

24 Sep 2019

Thank you all for the comments.

• Information