Is this similar logo likely to be a problem?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Periwinkle

19 Sep 2019

It's may not be a big issue, but I wonder if Props will wish to look at this logo:

https://www.producthunt.com/posts/drama

.“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

― Banksy

Bjørn Felle

19 Sep 2019

The logo is similar, but I don’t think similar enough to represent trademark infringement, especially seeing how the other software is not related to music production. I don’t think anybody could reasonable argue that RS are attempting to hijack the reputation associated with the other company’s trademark.

Jagwah

19 Sep 2019

nomis66 wrote:
19 Sep 2019
It's may not be a big issue, but I wonder if Props will wish to look at this logo:

https://www.producthunt.com/posts/drama

Wow good find! :wtf:

Loque

19 Sep 2019

Bam!
Reason12, Win10

WillyOD

19 Sep 2019

As long as Namco doesn't sue for Pac-Man likeness and Nintendo doesn't sue for GameCube logo likeness I think they'll be ok.

Props/Reason had a solid logo for decades. Now they've gone with generic box logo. Rebranding at its finest!-(
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

19 Sep 2019

WillyOD wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Now they've gone with generic box logo. Rebranding at its finest!-(
The new new logo...?

newRSlogo.jpg
newRSlogo.jpg (21.17 KiB) Viewed 2719 times

earwig83

19 Sep 2019

__________________________________________________________________________________
Last edited by earwig83 on 11 Dec 2019, edited 1 time in total.

aeox
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2019

JiggeryPokery wrote:
19 Sep 2019
WillyOD wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Now they've gone with generic box logo. Rebranding at its finest!-(
The new new logo...?

newRSlogo.jpg
:lol:

friday

19 Sep 2019

I think it is uncool but not a "drama" ;-)

boingy

19 Sep 2019

JiggeryPokery wrote:
19 Sep 2019
The new new logo...?

Reapple Studios

Heigen5

19 Sep 2019

Who cares, it's not an exact copy so... and well.. only a total prick would make a case out of this. (I mean a sue-case).
Last edited by Heigen5 on 19 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Periwinkle

19 Sep 2019

I can understand that sometimes an organisation may wish to modify its brand identity to reflect a change in philosophy, but I think there is always a risk of loss of brand recognition. In essence, it could be argued that they are throwing away years and years of brand recognition and starting all over like new startup business. Can you imagine Coke or MacDonalds making a radical name or logo change?

Normally logo changes are quite subtle and form parts of a gradual move to a new identity.

Also, if I was (I am not) the sort of person who bought and wore teeshirts, I might very well buy one that was emblazoned with the old logo (it's quite dynamic), but the new one .... not so much.

.“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

― Banksy

joeyluck

19 Sep 2019

I'd certainly love to see a little more Reason/Rack representation within the cube, but look how many of these logos are similar to each other: cube logos

doze

19 Sep 2019

It’s a pretty bad launch of a new brand. Generic logo website down for quite a while under new name. They didn’t even secure reasonstudios on twitter instead they have reasonstudios_

Sad. They had a good unique brand. Ahh well.

diminished
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2019

When Image-Line buys them:

:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

19 Sep 2019

joeyluck wrote:
19 Sep 2019
I'd certainly love to see a little more Reason/Rack representation within the cube, but look how many of these logos are similar to each other: cube logos
That kind of makes it worse, as that's a list of cube/hexagon logo templates, which suggests that the new logo wasn't actually designed inhouse or commissioned from an external source, but is possibly an off-the-shelf preset that someone else already used. No, I don't think there's particularly any trademark issue here if that's the case, but it's indicative of a certain ethos.

Now, there are other logos that are based around the radioactive warning icon—including in Props' other products—but there's no mistaking the original Reason logo for anything else. The new logo just says "think inside the box, don't break out of it". :?

VIVIsect

19 Sep 2019

The new logo is so pitifully generic. I can understand the name change and it doesn't bother me at all, but I can't imagine what possessed them to want to change such an iconic logo.

WillyOD

19 Sep 2019

Does anyone remember when was the last time Props Shop had Reason apparel for sale? I wouldn't mind picking up some leftover swag with old Reason and Propellerheads logos...
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

Ermitage

19 Sep 2019

Fortunately logos don't seem to matter as much these days, especially for a company that makes niche software. I mean, it's not like Image-line, Ableton, Presonus etc. have particularly inventive or interesting-looking logos either.

The RS studio logo is rampantly minimalistic, but at least the muted colours and soft corners seems to fit with the "playful vision" of the application.

Resonator

19 Sep 2019

All of this name, logo, website address changing is a total waste. People have been familiar with all the original stuff for over 2 decades. Why make it all unfamiliar? How’s that good for business? It ain’t gonna bring in more customers. Only added features will.

Catblack

19 Sep 2019

Resonator wrote:
19 Sep 2019
All of this name, logo, website address changing is a total waste. People have been familiar with all the original stuff for over 2 decades. Why make it all unfamiliar? How’s that good for business? It ain’t gonna bring in more customers. Only added features will.
I agree.

I have a black background taskbar, so on at least on of my monitors the logo (for the icon of the beta) washes out and all I see is red.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Zac

19 Sep 2019

Resonator wrote:
19 Sep 2019
The phrase 'all mouth and no trousers' popped into my head for some reason. That's not quite right but I do get the impression that things coming from the props recently are more show than substance.

KEVMOVE02

19 Sep 2019

Clever. Nice execution of click bait

Zac

20 Sep 2019

KEVMOVE02 wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Clever. Nice execution of click bait
Please take your holier than thou attitude elsewhere. If you hung around here regularly rather than just turning up for updates to defend the cause and generally look down your nose at people's attitudes you'd know that the links in my signature have been there for a long while. The combinators are free and the song link i haven't bumped once, it has long since served it's purpose. I'd love to meet you in person.

• Information