How to route Kong pads to different SSL channels?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Simone Lombardo

18 Sep 2019

I'm a bit surprised how it's so simple to do with Redrum but extremely complicated, if not impossible, with Kong. I've seen a few methods to do that, but it's either 1. they don't work with the latest versions of Reason, or 2. they result in a huge mess of cables and other devices.
I'm wondering if there's an efficient method that works with recent versions (I'm using Reason 10) and possibly doesn't require other devices besides Kong and SSL channels. Many thanks if you decide to share something!

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2019

It's the same with Kong, but you have to select the correct outputs on the bottom of "show drum and fx" for each pad.
If you want 16 mono outs, you have to pan each pad hard to one side. For example:
Pad 01 (panned hard left) --> Main Output L/R
Pad 02 (panned hard right) --> Main Output L/R
Pad 03 (panned hard left) --> Output 3-4
Pad 04 (panned hard right) --> Output 3-4
Pad 05 (panned hard left) --> Output 5-6
Pad 06 (panned hard right) --> Output 5-6
etc

This way, every "left" channel will output odd pad numbers, and every "right" channel will output even pad numbers.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

fullforce

18 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
18 Sep 2019
It's the same with Kong, but you have to select the correct outputs on the bottom of "show drum and fx" for each pad.
If you want 16 mono outs, you have to pan each pad hard to one side. For example:
etc

This way, every "left" channel will output odd pad numbers, and every "right" channel will output even pad numbers.
This works. Until you load another kit, and your panning goes to shit.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2019

fullforce wrote:
18 Sep 2019
diminished wrote:
18 Sep 2019
etc

This works. Until you load another kit, and your panning goes to shit.
Yes, unfortunately. The best way is to individually drag and drop new ones onto the pads and immediately pan them the way their predecessors were.
But you can't do anything about the reset of the pad-specific FX. That sucks big time.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Simone Lombardo

18 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
18 Sep 2019
etc

Cool, didn't know that, but I noticed that the extreme left/right panning distorts the sounds in a way I don't want. I think I'll just keep using Redrum.
Damn, it would be a really nice thing if Reason Studios (RIP Propellerhead) considered the idea of releasing an updated version of Kong with all the current features but the same routing system as Redrum... I'm hungry for slots, 10 aren't enough!

Bjørn Felle

19 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
18 Sep 2019
etc

Nice workaround. It is strange that Kong has 16 pads but only 8 outputs.

diminished
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2019

Bjørn Felle wrote:
19 Sep 2019
diminished wrote:
18 Sep 2019
etc

Nice workaround. It is strange that Kong has 16 pads but only 8 outputs.
You have to break out single cables from Kong for mono outs, hence the panning left/right

chimp_spanner

19 Sep 2019

Yeah tbh I always found this aspect of Kong a little offputting. If there's a Kong II at any point I'd love to see per-pad outputs, with a master pair and perhaps a handful of extra stereo outs so you can do some basic grouping from the device. Grouping pads to outputs in Kong itself is a redundant step for me though, as I do all my bussing and effecting outside of it with mixer channels anyway.

I guess the quickest way to use it like this is just have a template project called Kong Multi-Out or something, and then you can open that at any point, copy from the mixer (all output channels and busses) and then paste into your working project. At least then it's ready to start building kits. Of course if you load kits, you're still faced with the problem of outputs resetting but *shrugs* It is what it is! I use projects as a means of saving patches with multi-outputs. Works okay I guess!

Also how do you mean distortion when panning? Pretty sure that shouldn't happen!

Simone Lombardo

20 Sep 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Also how do you mean distortion when panning? Pretty sure that shouldn't happen!
Apparently it happens ONLY with particular Kong patches. When I first tried, I used the 808 patch "Hard Eight", and when I changed the panning some hits sounded slightly distorted. I tried later with some other kits and most of them sounded fine even when panned all the way left/right. I guess it depends on the samples...

stxlm

21 Sep 2019

I don't mind using just 8 main pads, and output them in stereo. It's the least faffy method. The rest can be used for layering if needed.

This is my workflow:

Create Kong
Disconnect from Mix Channel
Delete Mix Channel
Right click left jack of each Kong output pair and select "Route to New Mix Channel"
Select all the channels in the mixer and select "Route to > New Output Bus"
Select the sounds for each pad
Select output pair for each pad/sound
Change sound
Reselect output pair for that sound

That last step is really stupid, to me. I don't understand why the output isn't tied to the pad, but resets when you change the sound.

Next, I treat the sounds using mix channel inserts and whatnot.
Then, I use inserts on the bus to "glue" the kit or make overall tonal characteristic. I'm an ART Bottom guy, myself.
After that, I create one or more Parallel Channels of the Kit Bus to add a layer compression/distortion/thickness, often in a small frequency range. It's not unusual for me to have separate parallel channels for low/mid/high processing.

By Jove, wouldn't it be nice to group and hide all those channels and buses. My mixer is a mess.

This was more than you asked for, but maybe it's useful for someone.

And yes - this setup is in my default template. Doing it again every time would just be silly.

artotaku

21 Sep 2019

stxlm wrote:
21 Sep 2019
Create Kong
Delete Mix Channel
<Hold Shift Key> while creating Kong
Delete Mix Channel

Holding shift creates a Kong without Mix Channel. Saves some seconds of your life time :-)

stxlm

21 Sep 2019

artotaku wrote:
21 Sep 2019

Holding shift creates a Kong without Mix Channel. Saves some seconds of your life time :-)
Neat, thanks!

• Information