Glad I enjoy Reason as it is

This forum is for discussing Propellerhead's music software. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
TritoneAddiction
Posts: 1845
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 02 Sep 2019

Man all this bickering about Reason 11 is pretty exhausting. I don't know how you guys do it. :lol:
While everyone else seems to have huge lists of things they're disappointed about (which is totally fine btw), I'm actually pretty content with how Reason is right now.
I don't really feel I need anything more. It's such a relief.
For every new feature I'm like: "Oh I've never thought of that, but that's nice". Or "A new device, well that's pretty cool".
Honestly my wishlist for Reason 11 consisted of Curved automation. That's it. Hahaha. :lol:
Maybe I'm happier for not knowing about all the features I'm missing out on in other DAWs. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

User avatar
MannequinRaces
Posts: 1046
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 02 Sep 2019

Ignorance is bliss! I’ve been looking at other DAWs recently and a lot of them have some really nice features that Reason doesn’t have. At the end of the day though I feel I’m content with Reason and don’t want to learn another DAW. I’ll probably vote with my wallet and not upgrade.

I worked on some music in Reason this morning and had a great time doing so. I’m going to keep doing that. :) My only gripe is that Reason-only users that already have a lot of Propellerhead REs kinda got the shaft on the suite upgrade but it is what it is.

*Note to self on buying new Reason Studios REs... just freaking wait to buy, lol.

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 1845
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 02 Sep 2019

By the way I totally get if people don't want to upgrade or can be disappointed if they feel an upgrade doesn't offer enough features.
I personally just don't have any expectations, therefore it's hard to be disappointed. If an upgrade doesn't do anything for me (Reason 8) I simply don't upgrade. And that's the end of that.

I just find it interesting how people can look at the same thing yet have so completely different reactions to it.
It's everything from people thinking the upgrade it great to "this the end of Reason Studios".

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1266
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 02 Sep 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 Sep 2019
Man all this bickering about Reason 11 is pretty exhausting. I don't know how you guys do it. :lol:
While everyone else seems to have huge lists of things they're disappointed about (which is totally fine btw), I'm actually pretty content with how Reason is right now.
I don't really feel I need anything more. It's such a relief.
For every new feature I'm like: "Oh I've never thought of that, but that's nice". Or "A new device, well that's pretty cool".
Honestly my wishlist for Reason 11 consisted of Curved automation. That's it. Hahaha. :lol:
Maybe I'm happier for not knowing about all the features I'm missing out on in other DAWs. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
really glad to hear it! (genuinely!)

I’ve definitely contributed to the bickering, which is sort of new, at least in the sense that this time I haven’t been on the side defending Props. I think for many, the frustration comes from the fact that it really wouldn’t have taken much to make many of us very happy. a few improvements to the core experience (well, more than the 7 we’re getting, at least) would have made a world of difference.

at any rate, at this point I’m much more optimistic than I had been in the immediate aftermath of the launch. since then, Mattias has seen our concerns, and acknowledged his understanding as to why many of us feel let down. in my mind, that’s the most valuable thing to come of it. I’ve consistently said I think Props do a good job of listening to their users and making changes in line with those users’ desires—his acknowledgment counts for a lot, to me, because of that trust. it makes me hopeful that the main focus being on making Reason useful for other DAWs was a misjudgment in marketing, and not something they’re necessarily going to lean hard into as their main focus.

onward!

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 1845
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 02 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
02 Sep 2019
I think for many, the frustration comes from the fact that it really wouldn’t have taken much to make many of us very happy. a few improvements to the core experience (well, more than the 7 we’re getting, at least) would have made a world of difference.
We still don't know what the point updates for Reason 11 will be. Sometimes they are just as significant as the original release imo.
I think when people think back on earlier Reason upgrades they include all the point updates. I mean they added VSTs in a point update, and better optimization too. Thoses are some pretty sigificant changes. Who knows, maybe when all the Reason 11 smaller updates are done, people might think back on R11 as a great upgrade.
Some people seem to always think "This is the worst upgrade ever" no matter what number it's been. That's pretty clear whe you read old "Reason Announcements threads". Well maybe it's because they only see the initial release without all the point updates?

ltbrunt00
Posts: 407
Joined: 10 Jan 2017

Post 02 Sep 2019

I am happy that they are making bold power moves. Looking at everything you get in the Reason Plugin I am betting that people who are not thinking about using reason as a DAW may buy the plugin instead of something like Kontakt or Omnisphere. For almost twenty years people have been saying that would like to use reason as an instrument only, well now they got their wish. With all the rack extensions I can easily use in my other DAW programs my brain is exploding with the possibilities. Something as simple has working in someone else's studio and being able to authorize another machine and use the plugin is somewhat exciting.
Reason, Studio 1 & Bitwig

User avatar
Heigen5
Posts: 567
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Location: Finland / Suomi

Post 02 Sep 2019

Well yeah, I'm having a mixed opinion about the 11. So if we stand-alone users don't count VST Rack in, then yeah, what is the biggest feature of the rest? Automation curves? But still, the Reason Studio folks get my sympathy, as one gotta understand that there's thousands of people who got their BINGO shout out for the Rack VST.
If there will be AAX and AU coming before the end of this year, we stand-aloners might also get something new as well. And also, the Suite Upgrade is a really good deal for those who haven't already got most of em.
I guess the time will tell, what else there will be. Til then, happy Reasoning! Anyway, like Triton said, we all can say how we feel, but I must say I take the advice and create some music instead of being a spoiled kid like Cartman, LOL!
Last edited by Heigen5 on 03 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1266
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 02 Sep 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 Sep 2019
guitfnky wrote:
02 Sep 2019
I think for many, the frustration comes from the fact that it really wouldn’t have taken much to make many of us very happy. a few improvements to the core experience (well, more than the 7 we’re getting, at least) would have made a world of difference.
We still don't know what the point updates for Reason 11 will be. Sometimes they are just as significant as the original release imo.
I think when people think back on earlier Reason upgrades they include all the point updates. I mean they added VSTs in a point update, and better optimization too. Thoses are some pretty sigificant changes. Who knows, maybe when all the Reason 11 smaller updates are done, people might think back on R11 as a great upgrade.
Some people seem to always think "This is the worst upgrade ever" no matter what number it's been. That's pretty clear whe you read old "Reason Announcements threads". Well maybe it's because they only see the initial release without all the point updates?
I take your point, and I definitely hope you’re right about the point updates. I’m sure there will be some worthwhile stuff included. it just was disappointing from the standpoint of “this is what Reason 11 is all about—using Reason in other DAWs!” marketing, really, but marketing can be concerning when you’re not sure whether you’re still the core audience for the future plans of your favorite DAW.

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 1557
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the new york

Post 02 Sep 2019

We're simply trying to make the Announcing Reason 11 bitchfest the largest post count ever on RT. Is that such a crime?
Sometimes a cigar is just a synth that's on fire

User avatar
hurricane
Posts: 830
Joined: 14 Oct 2017

Post 02 Sep 2019

I freaking love 10.4 and it feels like home and I've written so many tracks on it that I am truly comfortable not updating to R11. With that being said, I do use 2 DAWS, and Logic to me is like an 80s Ferrari Testarossa, while Reason 10.4 is an old and reliable un-flashy late 90's Toyota Camry. Nothing wrong with that, but sometimes I don't want to drive the Ferrari to the 7-11 on the corner while it's snowing, if you get what I mean. The Camry is like my everyday car that takes me to and from Walmart and just gets the job done. And it may not be as flashy as the Ferrari, but I drive it more and has a special place in my heart. The End.
https://soundcloud.com/hurricane-music
Mac mini (Late 2012) | macOS Mojave | Logic Pro X | Pro Tools | Reason | DX7 | DX7s | TX7 | CZ-1 | Steinberg UR22mkII | Emagic AMT 8 | Mackie SR24x4 | StudioLogic SL 990 PRO

reggie1979
Posts: 844
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 03 Sep 2019

I don't get this thread AT ALL.

I love Reason, and will keep using it as my Riker. I don't care about Reason 11 all though I don't mind others being interested.

There seems to be this phony place where people think those that are not overwhelmingly interested in "11" are bitching. Based on what?

seqoi
Posts: 335
Joined: 12 Aug 2017

Post 03 Sep 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 Sep 2019
Man all this bickering about Reason 11 is pretty exhausting. I don't know how you guys do it. :lol:
While everyone else seems to have huge lists of things they're disappointed about (which is totally fine btw), I'm actually pretty content with how Reason is right now.
I don't really feel I need anything more. It's such a relief.
For every new feature I'm like: "Oh I've never thought of that, but that's nice". Or "A new device, well that's pretty cool".
Honestly my wishlist for Reason 11 consisted of Curved automation. That's it. Hahaha. :lol:
Maybe I'm happier for not knowing about all the features I'm missing out on in other DAWs. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
Absolutely same feelings here. But in my case i wanted mute midi and show highlighted notes in piano roll. And i got this with 11. Everything else is a bonus to me. VST rack - great addon. It will replace ReWire for me. I am getting Suite so i am getting a lot. Good new FX processing.

Good times.

P.s. i don't think it does have anything with ignorance. It's just that Reason is perfect to me as it is. I also use Cubase, Reaper and FL Studio (my previous applications) so actually when many people here want features from these apps in to Reason - i am finding Reason a relief. For now.

User avatar
Oquasec
Posts: 2412
Joined: 05 Mar 2017

Post 03 Sep 2019

it will never be fl studio.It will always be Reason.
Rewire or vst covers the rest.
Producer/Sound Designer.
Since Reason loses it's sequencer I don't see the point in skipping.

User avatar
Noplan
Posts: 642
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post 03 Sep 2019

There has never been an update in human history that has made everyone happy. There is always this one sad person who is always unlucky because his wish list has not been fulfilled. xD

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 1845
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 03 Sep 2019

motuscott wrote:
02 Sep 2019
We're simply trying to make the Announcing Reason 11 bitchfest the largest post count ever on RT. Is that such a crime?
No I'm sure we can do it if we all work together :lol:
If we run out of things to complain about, we simply go back to our huge complaint list and start all over again.
Here's some inspiration for ya.

1. All this new stuff should be included in Reason 10.5. FOR FREE!!! OBVIOUSLY, because I'm a loyal customer or something. Those greedy bastards.
2. Reason Studios never listen to their customers. Well except for those 20 times of course, but other than that they NEVER listen.
3. I just got some features I've been complaining about for years. But who cares? We should have gotten it WAY SOONER. Boooooo!!!
4. Propellerhead, I mean Reason Studios. God what a stupid name. And a new logo too. AAAARGH!!! This is too much. I hate it. Everything sucks! I'm changing to another DAW.
etc etc etc...

Hey I'm actually pretty good at this. We'll do it in no time. :lol:

But seriously, imagine having a somewhat positive thread like this reaching the largest post count, a thread about being content with what you already have.
Now THAT would be a challenge.

mashers
Posts: 448
Joined: 05 Nov 2018

Post 03 Sep 2019

I don't know if it's a happy coincidence that Reason works so well for me, or if I have adapted a workflow within Reason to make the music I want to, or if using Reason has actually shaped the way I make music, or some combination of these. If I had to guess, I would say that 18 years of using Reason has changed the way I think about music forever. It is as much an influence as any of my musical heroes. There are minor irritations that bug me day to day, but they are inconsequential compared to how much Reason gives me. I could not ever change to another DAW.

User avatar
dvdrtldg
Posts: 1168
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 03 Sep 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
03 Sep 2019
There seems to be this phony place where people think those that are not overwhelmingly interested in "11" are bitching. Based on what?
Are you kidding? Based on the insane number of threads on Facebook and elsewhere - also plenty of posts on this site - full of people going batshit bedwetting crazy over the fact that Reason 11 hasn't delivered all the features that they wrote to Santa and asked for

My sense is that it's not really about Reason at all. It's just that some people walk around being angry at the world in general, and seize on whatever minor disappointment comes their way as a focus for their resentment. Also thinking that some fucking company owes them some sort of personal consideration because they've been so touchingly "loyal" as to purchase its products. Bunch of babies

I mean this bullshit happens whenever a new version of Reason comes out, but this time it's off the chart

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 1845
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 03 Sep 2019

mashers wrote:
03 Sep 2019
I don't know if it's a happy coincidence that Reason works so well for me, or if I have adapted a workflow within Reason to make the music I want to, or if using Reason has actually shaped the way I make music, or some combination of these.
Yep. I can relate to this. Your DAW, your REs/plugins, whatever tools your using becomes your instrument. Just like with any tool or instrument you're using over a long period time, it eventually becomes an extension of yourself and it affects the way you play/think/create. At least that's my experience.

Proboscis
Posts: 92
Joined: 28 Aug 2019

Post 03 Sep 2019

There sure is a lot of chatter about the forthcoming release. What made me chuckle was a thread speculating Reason 12... when 11 hasn't even hit the shop. Crazy.

I love the Reason environment - as an older guy I can connect with the illusion of having gear, and the concept customized routing capabilities never stops impressing me. Better too, you can't blow anything up.

This upcoming release is underwhelming for me, but I've come to expect nothing much as each cycle rolls around. The only things on offer I think are great are the automation curves, MIDI pen tool and note muting. These are long overdue fixes to catch up with the rest of the digital studio world, not WOW CHECK OUT THESE AMAZING THINGS WE ARE OFFERING YOU.

But no amount of bitching is going to change anything. I'm a simple guy, and I express my disinterest by not upgrading. No big loss for me to wait for the next one, and get twice the amount of stuff in two years time, for the same price (hopefully)

In some ways, I blame the fanatics who upgrade regardless of the slim feature set. Imagine, if everyone voted with their wallet, and kept it firmly shut, it would force Propellerhead to up their game when they realize that on launch day, they're not getting any sales.

For me, I will probably never get my head around the seemingly limitless opportunities to experiment with Reason, or simply focus on the core of what it's all about. Making music. I'm under no illusion that any software out there is going to make me a better musician and composer. $129 big ones for allowing a curved slope (that can be achieved by other means anyway) does not make a great track.

mashers
Posts: 448
Joined: 05 Nov 2018

Post 03 Sep 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
03 Sep 2019
Yep. I can relate to this. Your DAW, your REs/plugins, whatever tools your using becomes your instrument. Just like with any tool or instrument you're using over a long period time, it eventually becomes an extension of yourself and it affects the way you play/think/create. At least that's my experience.
Yes yes, exactly! I’ve got a nice collection of REs, VSTs and pre-wired effects chains that give my stuff a consistent sound, and the whole Reason environment just feels like part of me.

sdst
Posts: 660
Joined: 14 Jun 2015

Post 03 Sep 2019

I also enjoy Reason, great DAW, but sometimes it's hard,
A simple custom keyboard shortcuts or hide channels, I don't know if these people in Reason Studio make music

reggie1979
Posts: 844
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 03 Sep 2019

dvdrtldg wrote:
03 Sep 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
03 Sep 2019
There seems to be this phony place where people think those that are not overwhelmingly interested in "11" are bitching. Based on what?
Are you kidding? Based on the insane number of threads on Facebook and elsewhere - also plenty of posts on this site - full of people going batshit bedwetting crazy over the fact that Reason 11 hasn't delivered all the features that they wrote to Santa and asked for

My sense is that it's not really about Reason at all. It's just that some people walk around being angry at the world in general, and seize on whatever minor disappointment comes their way as a focus for their resentment. Also thinking that some fucking company owes them some sort of personal consideration because they've been so touchingly "loyal" as to purchase its products. Bunch of babies

I mean this bullshit happens whenever a new version of Reason comes out, but this time it's off the chart
I don't do facecrook. It's stupid, it's just a way for people to bitch about first world problems.

I do this forum and Kvr, I've given up on gearslutz (too many moderators with their own versions of what "rules" are)

The complaining I've seen is mostly legit. Others seem quite happy with it. It's all good to me. The occasional guy with too much hyperbole but who cares, it's not a big deal.

reggie1979
Posts: 844
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 03 Sep 2019

Which another thing, I think if you do that type of "social media" then you get what you deserve.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1266
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 03 Sep 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
03 Sep 2019
But seriously, imagine having a somewhat positive thread like this reaching the largest post count, a thread about being content with what you already have.
Now THAT would be a challenge.
in fairness, probably 50% of those threads is just trying to convince others that it’s okay to be disappointed/our concerns are valid. 😆

reggie1979
Posts: 844
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 03 Sep 2019

I love Reason, reason too, but there isn't much of that in this day and age :lol:

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests